• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

So ran an oil filled heater last night as a test....When I went and checked this morning it was around 8.5C, and that was with lots of snow and ice inside which would certainly work against the heater. Got down to around -1c last night, the oil heater did ok I would say since it had to fight against the cold on the ground as well.

Tonight I will break out a bigger heater to  help speed up the melt inside, once that is all done I can rig up the corn bulb set ups I have on the bottom shelf and turn them on for 4-5 hours once the sun goes down, just to keep them on my 16-18H on light they had been getting, it will also help add some much needed heat.

Edit - Peeeeee Teeeeee

Yeah, I think they made the playoffs like 26 years in a row ( I could be wrong on it). Seems like management was just trying to keep “the streak “ going. Just have a good enough team to make the Second season, but not good enough to win the Cup [emoji848].
Any ways, brag up them Leafs [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDNmatt said:

But really what is normal anymore right? You can't fall back on historical averages like we have  been used to for so long, until we really can get a handle on our climate change it's going to be pretty erratic for the foreseeable future.

Aw Matty, dontcha know there's no such thing as climate change? Don't believe it? Just ask any of the 30% 'ers down here in the US. They'll tell you in an instant it's nothing but liberal propaganda.

Pages 1-10 Read!

Ok first off... What happens in the grow box... stays in the grow box. The Vegas pepper strip you have going on is one of the most entertaining things I've seen in a long time! Viva Las Chiles maybe? Ah man that is too freakin cool. I had no idea they even had strip LEDs learned something new today. Great variety, beautiful plants! I had to laugh as well "My wife made me sand it down and stain it since its in the living room" I can relate, this hobby is a never ending negotiation with my wife on everything. I have a LED aquarium light propped up on campbells soup cans in my family room window right now and got the ol...

"So... are you gonna do something about that?"

Me: "About...?"

"Oh I don't know.. Maybe the fact that there's a fish tank light on soup cans and pepper plants in our family room, maybe that thing?"

:rolleyes: "You got it hun!....." little does she know that me "doing something about it" means that I've been secretly planning to clear out our guest bedroom while shes at the park with my daughters friend today and turn it into a grow room, by the time she gets home it'll be too far undone and she'll have no choice but to go with it! That's the plan anyway...   :shh:  :shh:   :shh: :hell:    

I also decided from here on out I'm not going to complain about our winters ever again after seeing and reading about yours. Good lord man I couldn't handle all that snow, we got snowed in for a week this year and I almost went crazy! Props to you in the patience department!

Pages 11-20 down!

It's really hard to restrain myself from skipping ahead and finding out how the space issue is working out present day... Its quite a lesson in self control that I have going on right now! Man those plants are beauties, orange yaky has purple foliage eh? Huh.. I've only seen pod pictures wasn't expecting a purple plant! Waiting on some to sprout on my end..

I should note that "eh" is a word I actually do use in my day to day vocabulary and I'm not poking fun in anyway! We have a few canadian plant suppliers that come visit me at work from time to time. I think one year I picked it up from one of them and it just stuck lol. I went back to proof read my stuff and saw that I threw an "Eh" out there and was like Ahhh shit! Canadian glog... I don't even know the guy yet and hes gonna think I'm making fun of his vocabulary! Ok back to the glog! Had to clear that up first! lol.

21-30 down and officially up to date!

Man your plants look good! And big for that matter  :shocked: seeing all that snow still and knowing how big your plants are has me nervous for you! We have total opposite problems I'm playing catch up and your way ahead of schedule! I wouldn't stress too much tho when it comes to being rootbound/stunted I think the second you get them in big pots, new nutrients, break the roots up a bit they will take off. I would absolutely without a doubt take potting up big overgrown root bound pepper plants as opposed to small healthy seedlings any day, especially in a climate like yours! It'll all workout I have complete faith in your grow! Looking forward to seeing the greenhouse take shape as well. Dude I'm serious, I'm going to be so god damn happy for you when all your snow is gone, it's pissing me off and I'm not even there! Absolute insanity. Melting snow in the greenhouse with a heater in late April... I'll say it again, major props to you. That is dedication at its core right there.

Nice work Matt, nice work  :clap:

BigCedar said:

Pages 1-10 Read!

Ok first off... What happens in the grow box... stays in the grow box. The Vegas pepper strip you have going on is one of the most entertaining things I've seen in a long time! Viva Las Chiles maybe? Ah man that is too freakin cool. I had no idea they even had strip LEDs learned something new today. Great variety, beautiful plants! I had to laugh as well "My wife made me sand it down and stain it since its in the living room" I can relate, this hobby is a never ending negotiation with my wife on everything. I have a LED aquarium light propped up on campbells soup cans in my family room window right now and got the ol...

"So... are you gonna do something about that?"

Me: "About...?"

"Oh I don't know.. Maybe the fact that there's a fish tank light on soup cans and pepper plants in our family room, maybe that thing?"

:rolleyes: "You got it hun!....." little does she know that me "doing something about it" means that I've been secretly planning to clear out our guest bedroom while shes at the park with my daughters friend today and turn it into a grow room, by the time she gets home it'll be too far undone and she'll have no choice but to go with it! That's the plan anyway...   :shh:  :shh:   :shh: :hell:    

I also decided from here on out I'm not going to complain about our winters ever again after seeing and reading about yours. Good lord man I couldn't handle all that snow, we got snowed in for a week this year and I almost went crazy! Props to you in the patience department!

Pages 11-20 down!

It's really hard to restrain myself from skipping ahead and finding out how the space issue is working out present day... Its quite a lesson in self control that I have going on right now! Man those plants are beauties, orange yaky has purple foliage eh? Huh.. I've only seen pod pictures wasn't expecting a purple plant! Waiting on some to sprout on my end..

I should note that "eh" is a word I actually do use in my day to day vocabulary and I'm not poking fun in anyway! We have a few canadian plant suppliers that come visit me at work from time to time. I think one year I picked it up from one of them and it just stuck lol. I went back to proof read my stuff and saw that I threw an "Eh" out there and was like Ahhh shit! Canadian glog... I don't even know the guy yet and hes gonna think I'm making fun of his vocabulary! Ok back to the glog! Had to clear that up first! lol.

21-30 down and officially up to date!

Man your plants look good! And big for that matter  :shocked: seeing all that snow still and knowing how big your plants are has me nervous for you! We have total opposite problems I'm playing catch up and your way ahead of schedule! I wouldn't stress too much tho when it comes to being rootbound/stunted I think the second you get them in big pots, new nutrients, break the roots up a bit they will take off. I would absolutely without a doubt take potting up big overgrown root bound pepper plants as opposed to small healthy seedlings any day, especially in a climate like yours! It'll all workout I have complete faith in your grow! Looking forward to seeing the greenhouse take shape as well. Dude I'm serious, I'm going to be so god damn happy for you when all your snow is gone, it's pissing me off and I'm not even there! Absolute insanity. Melting snow in the greenhouse with a heater in late April... I'll say it again, major props to you. That is dedication at its core right there.

Nice work Matt, nice work  :clap:

First off thanks for taking the time to read through this novel and for all the nice words, I really find the community support inspiring and very helpful.

And I just wanted to add Brandon that all  your post are so full of energy, it's absolutely fantastic man. Will be alot of fun to have you around this year, and truly look forward to getting to know you better as we push through the season.

I got beat up by a swan when I was like 7-8...Was down at a pond with a friend and it was way across the other side, I saw a big dead fish in the water and was poking at it with a stick and looked up in time to see if whipping across the water at me....Bastage stood straight up and beat the crap outta me with its wings while biting me....I don't see them so majestic like most other people after that incident

CDNmatt said:
I got beat up by a swan when I was like 7-8...Was down at a pond with a friend and it was way across the other side, I saw a big dead fish in the water and was poking at it with a stick and looked up in time to see if whipping across the water at me....Bastage stood straight up and beat the crap outta me with its wings while biting me....I don't see them so majestic like most other people after that incident
ROFL [emoji1787]

Uncle_Eccoli said:

I'm not sure testing my mettle is worth embarrassing either combatant in front of goslings, but that's a good tip! 

Swans are bigger than geese, too, huh, Matty?

Oh yeah they dwarf them big time, maybe not as much as some domestic geese but still an extremely large bird. I seriously remember it like it happened yesterday, was a bunch of small bruises all over my body, the bites never broke the skin at all but they still fricken hurt bad, even more so since the bird was bigger then me at that age ffs.

CDNmatt said:

Oh yeah they dwarf them big time, maybe not as much as some domestic geese but still an extremely large bird. I seriously remember it like it happened yesterday, was a bunch of small bruises all over my body, the bites never broke the skin at all but they still fricken hurt bad, even more so since the bird was bigger then me at that age ffs.
Sorry Matty, but I can’t stop laughing over your swan attacking story [emoji1787].

Quick greenhouse update (no pics though till tomorrow)

Went outand checked a couple times today and it got up to just under 37C inside......I did leave the heat on just to help move the thaw along as quick as possible though. I have pretty much got all the buckets and stuff outta the ice and moved it out of the way so the last piece of ice can melt down in the back corner. I have hopes for Saturday to start moving stuff inside, I will set up the table I already have inside of it and toss up a couple makeshift tables out of playwood and some blocks, is too many to set up the shelves and they are too damn big anyways.

I did check a few plants on the shelves today and noticed some "Froots" that had set on the Purple Reaper and the BB& White, guess I wasnt fast enough plucking the flowers off, though its so damn hard to keep up right now as damn near everything is pumping out flowers like crazy

Here is Purple Reaper

16BVy93.jpg

2r7pllt.jpg

And BB7 White

nMqS5Ai.jpg

SMbaYtd.jpg

Long range forecast has improved alot as well since I last put it up....they are calling for 20C by mid/end next week, so that is pretty exciting. Did the same thign last year, right from -temps into high teens low +20s...what a bugga

Back