• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

Not a good deal when things blow over. I use these earth anchors on each corner of my portables.

EF522CB9-6CD4-4E02-AF8C-D05AA47D1350.jpeg

I really didn't like post 620, too much bad news.

Sorry to hear about that, buddy. I hate the wind.
I can tolerate just about any kind of weather but
wind. Just so damn destructive.

Hopefully the peppers that snapped still have a few
nodes left to grow out. With the root system already
developed, a little N fertilizer might just spur them
into bushy monsters in time for flowering!

Good luck going forward, Matty! Sorry to hear about
the TML. But am jazzed that The TrailBlazers beat
OKC Tuesday night in the NBA first round. About time
Portland made it past the first round.

DWB said:
Sorry all that happened Matty. It's awful. I hope all days are much better going forward.

skullbiker said:
Not a good deal when things blow over. I use these earth anchors on each corner of my portables.

attachicon.gif
EF522CB9-6CD4-4E02-AF8C-D05AA47D1350.jpeg

nmlarson said:
Sorry that happened. Just what you DIDN'T need. But, thankful there wasn't more damage.

PaulG said:
I really didn't like post 620, too much bad news.

Sorry to hear about that, buddy. I hate the wind.
I can tolerate just about any kind of weather but
wind. Just so damn destructive.

Hopefully the peppers that snapped still have a few
nodes left to grow out. With the root system already
developed, a little N fertilizer might just spur them
into bushy monsters in time for flowering!

Good luck going forward, Matty! Sorry to hear about
the TML. But am jazzed that The TrailBlazers beat
OKC Tuesday night in the NBA first round. About time
Portland made it past the first round.

saiias said:
Sorry to hear about the disaster Matty. 
As paul mentioned above, hopefully he plants that snapped will comeback since their roots are strong already.

PtMD989 said:
That effing sucks all the way around. Not a good week for sure, eh. [emoji2959][emoji35][emoji21]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Everyone -  Thanks guys appreciate the support as always :cheers:

After cooling off for most of the day and mulling over the shitty day, I think it was more timing that made the flip over seem so bad. Like out of more then the 100 plants that were inside, to only have maybe 15-20 damaged and only 25% of those snapped off isn't so bad I guess, esp with all the plants I have in the house still, so crying over spilt milk won't do me any good at this point...HOWEVER...after I posted this morning and was out checking on them I did step on my Oakley's and broke one of the temples :banghead: ..I took them in this afternoon to have them fixed though so crises averted...Dat timing though, all timing.

@Paul/Saiias - I agree lads, I think they may have enough time to get some good growth on before plant out, and I did bring them in under the lights inside for now just so they have some steady consistent light to go off, I also had my wife grab me some root stimulator and will see if I can salvage the tops of them at least, for now I just stuck them in a glass with water till I can get that done laters tonight.

@SB This was partly my own fault, the frame was literally frozen to the ground untill the night before last, I had planned on getting some anhchors or rebar pounded in like I had for it last year, unfortunately I was not so quick to get it done. I have never used those type before does it just drill in or something?? Would be great if so might be easier then pounding rebar through the hard gravel pack .

Anyways folks tomorrow is another day, weather forcast looks like garbage but as a whole it can't get any worse then it has been as far as the plants go at least.

Pics up later tonight once I can get them resized and uploaded :metal:

Its pretty damn deep..The average winter is 8-10ft around here...if its a hard winter 13-15 is not unheard of, but we really only had a few weeks of -35 to -45C, maybe 3 at most ...But we also did not get a ton of snow either and that helps insulate alot so hard to say how bad it is. Like right now the raised beds are still frozen about 4 inches down, so is no doubt the regular ground isn't much better right now, only thing it has going for it is the extreme amount of water pumping into the ground which certainly helps melt that.

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Sorry to hear brother, best you can do is weigh that mofo down until the ground isnt a giant ice block. Keep us posted on the recovery

Aye thanks Bobo...I did pull some heavy logs inside and weighted it down best I could....Pretty glad I did as this afternooon was damn near identical to yesterday..average winds all day then around 4-5pm just kicked right up, still blowing hard right now,and my ears are red from wind burn being outside for the last few hours.

Ok so some outside pics, some are random and I had ment to take a few shots of the entire yard, but I took the kids for a short walk since there was no school today, but dropped the phone on the road, and I had to run back and find it so pictures were not on my mind once I retrieved it.

So greenhouse shots first, this is abit different then how I had it set up before it got tossed the other day......

KA7RxfV.jpg

IGazqSx.jpg

This shot is about 24inches off the ground, warmer the higher you go obviously

3tkz07C.jpg

Buckets ready to rock :metal: :metal:

djPYEho.jpg

Load of dirt I 'borrowed' from the ditch down the road

BHftXid.jpg

Piles of processed peat (bigger pile) and some left over I did not get done last year

pfJpjxY.jpg

More pics next post down......

Continued....

So this was the only thing here I could use when we took over the property, was maybe 4-5inches of soil that I have built up for the past 2 years.....

dduUKaD.jpg

I put these 3 makeshift beds in last year to give me alittle extra space.....under that long tarp is a bigger one from end to end....

hs7IR3M.jpg

Used to be some sort of garden here, I had to pull out a ton of huge rocks last year, then I chipped up all the wood by hand with a hatchet to use as mulch. Last year I had some maters under there which gets just enough light, but I really didnt have a ton of soil so they didnt do so well. Likely will put greens and such this year

KcS5UrS.jpg

This space I dug out last, think it was mid June since I needed some room to put in sunflowers and some other sweet peppers. Used to be a garden here as well, the soil is rich but it prolly wasn't used for years just by how thick the grass layer was down to the dirt. this year I am gonna till it with help frmo a friend, just doing that 10x3 chunk by hand took like 6-7 hours, will be different this year with that 20x30 or so chunk to use.

iZM8hAd.jpg

And last pic is me getting to bitch aboot the weather, just miserable I tell ya...Was mid teens all last week and a high of 1C is disgusting. Might have to bring it all in for a few days or run and extra heater jsut to make sure, haven't decided what I am gonna do on that front as of yet.

uVOTFK0.jpg

Damn dude! Ma Nature is really hating you this (spring?)

Sorry to read about the wind issues, we get some trophy winds here. After many years of blown over plants I put the fence up, which was right after I used the tractor to knock down the pool. Boy that was fun!

I noticed that funny looking white stuff looks to be gone ;)

Hang in there bro!

BTW, love the 12" tv line...

Hey Matt! Really sorry to hear about your greenhouse mishap. That kinda thing can really ruin someones morale. Like everyone else has said great news it wasn't any worse. You could have had all the plants out there  :shocked:  I was happy as all hell to see the snow gone in your pictures, that's gotta be huge for you guys! Your property sure is pretty, looks so much bigger without all the snow. Awesome your out working in the yard, those beds are looking good, can't wait to see them filled with plants. I forgot to ask you last time I checked in, hows the wildlife situation in your neck of the woods? Bear, moose? Do you ever have to deal with em? Well hang in there man, I'm feeling for ya! 

Sorry about your greenhouse tumble, Matty.  You're due for nothing but good luck from here out. 

Just how much land have you got there?  Love the open space.   My neighbors and I are arm in arm here in suburbia. 

Devv said:
Damn dude! Ma Nature is really hating you this (spring?)

Sorry to read about the wind issues, we get some trophy winds here. After many years of blown over plants I put the fence up, which was right after I used the tractor to knock down the pool. Boy that was fun!

I noticed that funny looking white stuff looks to be gone ;)

Hang in there bro!

BTW, love the 12" tv line...

CaneDog said:
Cool to see the outdoor pics of your land and what you're working with Matt.  That Monday weather is crazy.  Hopefully they got it wrong.  They get it wrong a lot around here during April.  Man, I am ready for some stable warmer temperatures and sunshine a-bhut now, eh?

Yeah as far as the temps go, it seems to be a mess straight across the country it would seem. Back in our home town temps are way below normal for this time of year....out on the East coast they have had blizzards for the past few weeks almost non stop, and out west in Alberta and Sask they got nailed with a bunch of snow yesterday and today, so no one is winning but it doesn't make me feel any better  :mope:

BigCedar said:
Hey Matt! Really sorry to hear about your greenhouse mishap. That kinda thing can really ruin someones morale. Like everyone else has said great news it wasn't any worse. You could have had all the plants out there  :shocked:  I was happy as all hell to see the snow gone in your pictures, that's gotta be huge for you guys! Your property sure is pretty, looks so much bigger without all the snow. Awesome your out working in the yard, those beds are looking good, can't wait to see them filled with plants. I forgot to ask you last time I checked in, hows the wildlife situation in your neck of the woods? Bear, moose? Do you ever have to deal with em? Well hang in there man, I'm feeling for ya! 

It's one thing I enjoy very much is the amount of animals you can/will see even just out for a drive. The bears have started to wake up as people are already complaining about trash cans being dragged off and strewn all over. I normally have 2-3 every summer that wander through, most that do are young and stupid, if they are dumb enough to hang around the life expectancy  is short lived and they become a rug.

When I first started coming up here with my dad on fishing trips in the late 80s the moose numbers were crazy, so much so that I happend to be up here for a visit when I turned 16 and got my drivers license here, my fisr night driving from town to home (20 min drive) was at least a dozen or so on the road or just off to the side, I was literally shaking when we rolled into the driveway. It's not  like that at all anymore, the deer numbers have exploded and they have brought a few parasites with them that the moose are not used to, so numbers in this area have been devastated, ou need to drive about an hour or so North to start seeing large populations of them.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Sorry about your greenhouse tumble, Matty.  You're due for nothing but good luck from here out. 

Just how much land have you got there?  Love the open space.   My neighbors and I are arm in arm here in suburbia. 

We have 7 and a half acres, so not a ton but the actual yard is pretty big and about 3 of that is a wooded area with a creek running through it as well. I will try and get a shot of the whole yard later today, I ment to get one the other day for yall.

Back