• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

PtMD989 said:
So how hot might it get in the green house when the outside temps get up into the 20’s,eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would certainly have to keep the door and vents open when it starts to hit those temps Bry, if the sun was beating down on it easily 30-35C, and that number goes up as it gets warmer. Like 2 days ago when it was only 8C outside and I had no heater and was zero sun all day and it still got to 15-16C inside, with plants inside I am sure that would of been higher.

PPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTT

Geez, Matty, you are becoming the PT King!

Sorry to be away from your glog for so long, but have
been busy with , you know...

Your greenhouse is awesome - really a nice size. I gotta agree
with Big Cedar, your passion for playing with peppers in the snow
is commendable. I didn't't see many grow logs last season, so I'm
really seeing your set-up for the first time. Can't wait to see that
greenhouse full of green. Weather has taken a turn for the better
here, as well. No snow, but cloudy, rainy and cool is not good pepper
weather. Like you, my plants in the greenhouse are getting way too
big to easily move in and out for hardening off, so I'm hoping for a
nice gradual warm up to summer with some warm nights so I can
at least start leaving them outside under cover. 

Good luck moving into the greenhouse, Matty. Will try to get back
more often to see your awesome grow!.

Good on ya getting that icehouse greenhouse up and running!.

Is it large enough to hold all those plants you have a going? Can't wait to see the pics, and the Swan story...my take on Swans after that sh!t would be:

174.jpg

Do you remember what color of beak your sparring partner swan had ? Orange or black, eh.
The oil heater , you use in your green house, does the exhaust fumes hang around and have any bad effect on you or your plants, eh.
Would hate to have you, your family, dogs or plants get gassed.

PtMD989 said:
Do you remember what color of beak your sparring partner swan had ? Orange or black, eh.
The oil heater , you use in your green house, does the exhaust fumes hang around and have any bad effect on you or your plants, eh.
Would hate to have you, your family, dogs or plants get gassed.

Oh gawd..ummm no I don't recall what color it's beak was honestly...Trying to think of the colors of the ones we saw a few days ago, was literally 6 of them on a river that had just opened up, we stopped to show the kids but didn't think to take any pictures.

The heater is actually an oil filled radiant electric heater Bry, not kerosene or fuel oil which is what our furnace uses, but always thought it was pretty safe compiared to say propane/natural gas in the carbon monoxide department.

I was thinking oil burner and carbon monoxide. I have an oil radiator heater also, the power company loves me for running it :$$$$. [emoji16].
The orange beaked bastages are the meanassed muted swans. Black beaked ones are the magestic trumpeter swans. Muted swans are invasive species here and probably up your way also. No open season on muted swans, but if they are causing a problem, we used to be able to get DNR permission to “take out problem birds “. [emoji16]

PtMD989 said:
I was thinking oil burner and carbon monoxide. I have an oil radiator heater also, the power company loves me for running it :$$$$. [emoji16].
The orange beaked bastages are the meanassed muted swans. Black beaked ones are the magestic trumpeter swans. Muted swans are invasive species here and probably up your way also. No open season on muted swans, but if they are causing a problem, we used to be able to get DNR permission to “take out problem birds “. [emoji16]

Aye electric  heaters just suck the money from your pockets for sure, the infared ones have some along way in that regard but they are  pretty expensive, so I guess it depends how much you would use one to make it worth putting the money out for one of those.

I have read though that the oil filled electric heaters are alittle better on consumption then your regular old ceramic fan blown heater, I honestly wouold love to stick one of those Kill A Watt thingers on them and see the difference.

PaulG said:
Geez, Matty, you are becoming the PT King!

Sorry to be away from your glog for so long, but have
been busy with , you know...

Your greenhouse is awesome - really a nice size. I gotta agree
with Big Cedar, your passion for playing with peppers in the snow
is commendable. I didn't't see many grow logs last season, so I'm
really seeing your set-up for the first time. Can't wait to see that
greenhouse full of green. Weather has taken a turn for the better
here, as well. No snow, but cloudy, rainy and cool is not good pepper
weather. Like you, my plants in the greenhouse are getting way too
big to easily move in and out for hardening off, so I'm hoping for a
nice gradual warm up to summer with some warm nights so I can
at least start leaving them outside under cover. 

Good luck moving into the greenhouse, Matty. Will try to get back
more often to see your awesome grow!.

Paul!!

I was getting sad and thought you had given up on ole Matty for a minute eh...Hope you will have time to stop in more often and I understand why you haven't my good man.

Devv said:
Good on ya getting that icehouse greenhouse up and running!.

Is it large enough to hold all those plants you have a going? Can't wait to see the pics, and the Swan story...my take on Swans after that sh!t would be:

174.jpg

In the pots they are all in now I have tons of room Scotty, even after I pot up a bunch I should be ok, even more so if I use split levels to hold them on.

Soooo....you want me to shop at target??? lols bad joke sorry

Sadly the bastages are protected up here...thats jail time type of protection they have.

CDNmatt said:

Aye electric  heaters just suck the money from your pockets for sure, the infared ones have some along way in that regard but they are  pretty expensive, so I guess it depends how much you would use one to make it worth putting the money out for one of those.

I have read though that the oil filled electric heaters are alittle better on consumption then your regular old ceramic fan blown heater, I honestly wouold love to stick one of those Kill A Watt thingers on them and see the difference.

I have a couple of those oil filled radiator heaters and one of them has power options of 600, 900, or 1,500 watts.  Even on 600 it puts out some serous heat, but fully cranked it's ridiculous how hot that thing gets.  It's also nice that it's not actually blowing forced hot air.  Never put the kill-a-watt on it, but maybe I'll check that out.

Glad to see you taking your land back from winter Matt.  It's a bhut time you got those plants moved outside. 

Got most of the maters and all of the second shelf chillis out to the greenhouse, pretty nervous about their first night alone outside, even with the heat on. It was pretty dark by the time I got that stuff out so will try and get a few pics up for tomorrow, had to stay up abit later tonight to hide all the Easter shhhtuff for the kiddies.

This Easter bunnie is damn tired but I leave you with a fight to the death....Happy Easter everyone!!!

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/videos/gallery/bunnies-step-into-the-ring-to-battle-for-easter-dominance/2312993038001/6027927628001/most_popular

Umm things have seen to be goin ok so far Bry...I have been fighting off yet another cold the past 4-5 days so it has been tough to do much of anything. I decided to leave everything on the top shelf inside for now, but just split them up and gave them some room to spread now that the middle and bottom shelf is open.

Really this came out of necessity, since I have some kiddie pools full of soil in the greenhouse as well taking up some space, and they are not so easily moved when they are still basically frozen or sopping wet at the very least.

And dude...I don't even think I am going to watch tonight, just so damn mad how they played in game 6, just not so sure I can put up with another game 7 loss to the bloody bruin ffs. When they lost 2 years ago too the Caps I slapped a baby bottle off the coffee table, it then bounced off the couch and straigh into the T.V. My wife made me sell some of my hiking gear to replace it and before I was able to I pulled out alittle 12inch tube TV from the shed and used it in the living room for a couple weeks out of spite for her making me do so.

PtMD989 said:
Sorry [emoji52]. Guess it’s baseball season now, eh

Aye thanks man.... 'tis a sad day in leaf land today folks, pretty dissapointed once again.

Edit - This was from 2016..Longest time without a championship list

Franchise

League

Last Championship

Arizona Cardinals

NFL

1947 (69 Years)

Cleveland Indians

MLB

1948 (68 Years)

Sacramento Kings

NBA

1951 (65 Years)

Detroit Lions

NFL

1957 (59 Years)

Atlanta Hawks

NBA

1958 (58 Years)

Philadelphia Eagles

NFL

1960 (56 Years)

Texas Rangers

MLB

Never (55 Years)

Tennessee Titans

NFL

1961 (55 Years)

Houston Astros

MLB

Never (54 Years)

San Diego Chargers

NFL

1963 (53 Years)

Toronto Maple Leafs

NHL

1967 (49 years)

So obviously the longest for a Hockey franchise to go without a win but at #11 overall. In the biggest hockey market in the world it really is unacceptable. (I used 5 different words before I landed at unacceptable just to make it forum friendly)

What a F :censored: G disaster yesterday was from start to finish

Besides this stupid damn cold and feeling like crap anyways, both kids woke up just miserable, which is always fun in it's self. Now that most of the snow has finally melted away it has revealed the mess left under the snow from the neighbors dogs that had been ripping apart my trash all winter, was literally a trail from my front yard all the way to their house which is like 150+ yards away, as well as other crap blowing all over my yard. I had been picking it up the past few days as the snow melted but finally got that flipping trail cleaned up and raked up a bunch of it into piles to finish clean up today.

This is where it gets fun ......About 5:30 the wind started to pick up, basically micro burst material and I said to my wife "this is the kinda shit that blew over the greenhouse in the fall last year" so ran out and checked and it seemed to be holding up ok. We took the kids for a much needed walk after dinner and as we approached the hosue my wife says to me " So your plants are ok after that?" I looked up and once again, it was tossed about 20ft from its initial spot. ALL of the pepper plants had been tossed, and the vast majority of maters were toppled as well.

By some miracle the frame did not bend, must of just picked up like a parachute and tossed on it's back I figured. We tried to move it back, but unless you slide it along the ground the 2 dinky support poles on the bottom bend like a mofo so had to leave it back closer to the tree line, will be less sunlight where it is but at least I can still use it for now.

At least a dozen plants were damaged with about 5-6 of them snapped off, about as many maters maybe a few more, took as much damage. Took about 3 hours in the dark getting it all cleaned and set back up, running out of room the other day and not bringing everything outside turned out to be a good thing.

Back