• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

WalkGood said:
Aye isn't that strange limit for just about everything, what I've done in that case is not used the standard quote tags and just used @

Nice you used "arrr" do they celebrate pirates day over there? Well I guess they must as it is international and some of my European friends know about it ...

I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee! lol

Hilarious :D I didn't even know there was a celebrate pirates day at all till now ;) I will try and introduce it at my work :lol:

MangroveMike said:
Looks awesome.
Thank you :)

Hi Stefan,
   A couple of questions... What are the flavor and texture of the Potato Jal like? Does the CGN 16905 have a floral taste (like the other Ajis I've tried)?

Is the weather still holding on for you? It's definitely cooling off here, and the leaves are starting to turn... right on time...

2gods said:
Great peppers you got there, i see you are going total Jalapeno he he ;) almost.
Good to see things are growing well my friend.
Thanks, Jes. Jalapeno's are one of my big favorites :D

stickman said:
Hi Stefan,
   A couple of questions... What are the flavor and texture of the Potato Jal like? Does the CGN 16905 have a floral taste (like the other Ajis I've tried)?

Is the weather still holding on for you? It's definitely cooling off here, and the leaves are starting to turn... right on time...
Hey Rick,
I haven't picked a Potato Jal yet because I wanna wait till I can harvest a ripe one first. I don't have any seeds of it left so I wanna be sure I pick a ripe one first :) The CGN16905 does have a floral taste indeed, I didn't like it a lot but I tried a unripe pod first. The only Baccatums I like so far were the El Oro de Ecuador and Yellow Bouquet. Now there's a lot of ripening going on so I will try and see if the flavor is different when ripe (I expect the same). The pods however are quite big, would say almost 7 inch and it's really prolific, easily over 200 pods on the 1 plant I have of this variety. It's still producing new pods every day.

I will go to the garden tomorrow when time allows me and clear out the tomatoes. They have given me more then enough and before they get sick and stuff I wanna remove them. Then hopefully next week I will make a big pepper harvest. The forecasts are talking about 74F during the day, 54F at night next week and a lot of sun  :party: So definitely great weather to boost the plants to ripen of. It will be the last good week and then probably will cool off which is normal this time of year. The leaves on the trees have started to turn over here also, the ones on my peppers haven't.

PeriPeri said:
Hey Stefan, looking awesome my friend... I hope you have a good long warm autumn so all the pods ripen ;)
So do I, as my autumn will be the same  :P

Edit; just checked and we'll be fine until at least october 7th :lol:

PeriPeri said:
Hey Stefan, looking awesome my friend... I hope you have a good long warm autumn so all the pods ripen ;)

wahlee76 said:
So do I, as my autumn will be the same  :P

Edit; just checked and we'll be fine until at least october 7th :lol:
Thanks, Lourens and Wally :) The forecasts are indeed looking very promising!! I'm very happy with this because there's still a boatload of pods that need to ripen off. Luckily there's a lot of ripening going on and think I will make a harvest this friday. In the meantime I took this picture, while I was cleaning out the tomato plants, of the presumably Maldivian Orange x Pimenta de Neyde cross. Really like these color transitions the pods are going through, heat is about 300.000 scoville and has a light fruity aroma with your typical Chinense smell. Will definitely try and stabilize this one next season, if you guys wanna help just let me know, the more the better.

IMAG3271.jpg

IMAG3272.jpg

Brito's Mystery Peach (WindChicken)
IMAG3270.jpg

Endgame for the maters.
IMAG3273.jpg

Just beautiful, Stefan! You are such a craftsman...Your Brito's are way prettier than mine, and it's interesting that all the pods seem to be setting erect. How do you find the flavor?

I'm glad you like the Chilhuacle Rojo...For me it's one of the best-tasting Mexican chiles ever. Sometimes there will be a sweet one, as you noted, but the majority of them will have a nice medium-low heat, maybe around 15-20K SHU. They will also gain quite a bit of complexity of flavor and aroma in the dehydrator....My wife has actually replaced her prized shaker of "red chile flakes" (The ingredients of which I can't imagine—I suppose it's real hard to know.) with dried and flaked Chilhuacle Rojo. You cannot know what a huge win that is for me—just take my word for it! You may also be pleased to hear that she has used the fresh Calabrese A Mazzetto quite a bit, chopped up in her wonderful sauces and gravies. I thank you, my stomach and palate thank you, and we are forever obliged to you!

Gary

windchicken said:
Just beautiful, Stefan! You are such a craftsman...Your Brito's are way prettier than mine, and it's interesting that all the pods seem to be setting erect. How do you find the flavor?

I'm glad you like the Chilhuacle Rojo...For me it's one of the best-tasting Mexican chiles ever. Sometimes there will be a sweet one, as you noted, but the majority of them will have a nice medium-low heat, maybe around 15-20K SHU. They will also gain quite a bit of complexity of flavor and aroma in the dehydrator....My wife has actually replaced her prized shaker of "red chile flakes" (The ingredients of which I can't imagine—I suppose it's real hard to know.) with dried and flaked Chilhuacle Rojo. You cannot know what a huge win that is for me—just take my word for it! You may also be pleased to hear that she has used the fresh Calabrese A Mazzetto quite a bit, chopped up in her wonderful sauces and gravies. I thank you, my stomach and palate thank you, and we are forever obliged to you!

Gary
The Brito is really a cute variety that makes clusters of 3-4 small pods that first grow erect and then go down :lol: The flavor is good but I'm currently having some flu so my taste isn't so good. The C. Rojo is indeed a very tasty variety, thank you for the seeds. I have dried a bunch now together with all the other mexican chiles I will make a nice blend that we can use in the kitchen :) Also the Guajillo is a tasty variety, from a previous harvest I made Adobe sauce and had my chicken marinated in it. It was delicious! Glad your wife likes the Calabrese a Mazetto, sounds like an all round pepper to use. It's gonna be hard again next season to decide which ones I will grow and not. Definitely the mild types again since my wife is showing a lot more interest now :lol:

Devv said:
Very nice Stefan!

How long after the weather turns does the green house keep things going?
Last season I cleared the green house when the night temp was around 40F. You could see there was almost no ripening of anymore so I didn't wanna take the risk. However I left one plant to see how far the temp could go down to effect it inside. When we started getting frost at night the plant wasn't directly effected but after a week the pods had turned soft and the branches turned brown. It all depends on how quick and low the temperature drops. I hope to extend my season till half November again like last season. By then I have probably picked most plants clean judging by the rate the pods ripe of now :)

Sounds good.

I would love to have a greenhouse, but it would have to have a cooling system. Here it can be 85F on Christmas day and a high of 30F on New Years day, you never can tell here. The school I work at has a nice greenhouse with a swamp cooler. That's when they run a water bath over a radiator looking coil system and have a fan behind it. So with this bad boy you can set it on auto-pilot and it will maintain 85F year round. Cool but $40,000 !

meatfreak said:
Hilarious :D I didn't even know there was a celebrate pirates day at all till now ;) I will try and introduce it at my work :lol:

Thank you :)
Their website is

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
Some great looking pods brethren, btw some of the seeds you sent have popped up. I'll have to take some pics over the weekend as I need to move them from their eggs to some 6" pots :)

Devv said:
Sounds good.

I would love to have a greenhouse, but it would have to have a cooling system. Here it can be 85F on Christmas day and a high of 30F on New Years day, you never can tell here. The school I work at has a nice greenhouse with a swamp cooler. That's when they run a water bath over a radiator looking coil system and have a fan behind it. So with this bad boy you can set it on auto-pilot and it will maintain 85F year round. Cool but $40,000 !
With 85F on Christmas I don't think you really need a greenhouse :D I wish we had those temps then, as long the frosts stays away for at least another month I'm happy.

WalkGood said:
Their website is

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
Some great looking pods brethren, btw some of the seeds you sent have popped up. I'll have to take some pics over the weekend as I need to move them from their eggs to some 6" pots :)
Happy to hear the seeds have popped, Ramon. Which ones did you hatch? :D

Today I got some time to make a harvest, no pictures of the total harvest yet but I made some I'm really happy with.

First of all my daughter who is already interested as you can see ;) I got this variety as a seedling from a neighbor on the community garden when I gave him some of mine. It kinda looks like the Kapia pepper Stickman has been growing this season as well. It has an amazing smell both unripe as ripe, sweet with some spicy aftertaste. Also it's quite prolific for a plant that creates such big pods.
IMAG3294.jpg

This is one of my favorite looking pods, an creation of PIC1, the Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 I have to say however that the pods that are now being formed don't have those tails/stingers these pods have :(
IMAG3288.jpg

Another one from PIC1, the Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" The color of these is more salmon, they look a lot like the Goat peppers I grew last season.
IMAG3298.jpg

Finally a decent harvest of the Chilhuacle Amarillo (Windchicken).
IMAG3293.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Cardi Yellow. Really happy these are true in shape! Can't wait to taste one.
IMAG3299.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

Just beautiful, Stefan! Very nice work! And your daughter is so adorable I can hardly stand it!

I'm glad the Chilhuacle Amarillo grew true...That was one of Peppermania Beth's little "surprises"...

The CARDI Yellow Scorp has one of the best flavors of any chile. Yours are perfect.

Have a great weekend!

Actually, I think those are Kapia peppers your daughter is holding... If you grew them from seedlings, nice job! They ripen later than Bell peppers, say around 100 days to maturity, so late May to mid-September is about right. Try roasting and peeling those ripe Kapias... the taste is incredible!

The rest of the pics look great too... especially the one of your daughter holding the Kapias. Cheers!

I will reply to your posts after the pictures my friends! I'm gonna need some bumps please :)

So last friday I made a nice harvest, finally I was able to harvest of the Chinense also. Today I had time to take some pictures :lol: 

IMAG3351.jpg

IMAG3352.jpg

IMAG3353.jpg

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow
IMAG3328.jpg

IMAG3329.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2
IMAG3350.jpg

Biker Flames F2 plant 1
IMAG3339.jpg

Biker Flames F2 plant 2
IMAG3338BIKERFLAMES2.jpg