• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2014 Glog

So I've started my grow a couple of weeks ago, 28th of January. I use the same setup as previous seasons, 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights, black/white foil. First round were the Chinense, about 22 different varieties, mostly superhots and hots. Almost everything germinated within a week and with a total germ rate of 92% I was pretty pleased. I potted them up last week and they quickly showed new growth again. Well enough talk, this is what the plants looked like yesterday, 10 days after transplant and almost 4 weeks from start date.

IMAG3823_.jpg

IMAG3824_.jpg

Devil’s Tongue White (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3825.jpg

This one is a beast, very rapid growth, big leaves and already branching out? Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3828.jpg

IMAG3829.jpg

This season I'm growing out a couple of crosses from friends like Gary/Nagabrain Chocolate F-2, Mike/Elysium Oxide Bonnet and Jamie/Green Hornet F-2. Also some phenotypes that showed up at John's garden, 7 Pot Peach F-2 and 7 Pot Caramel F-2. Of course I'm also growing my own discovery from last season, Pimenta Lisa F-2. Got 2 seedlings going, one has the desired traits so far and the other one is green as grass. Looking forward to growing both out!

Last weekend I started up the second round, mostly Annuum and some Chinense I got in trades these last few weeks. Today the the first ones sprouted after merely 3 days and even Chinense! Well that's it for now, thanks for keeping up so far :D

No hardening of yet, the wind was just to hard these past few days. So some more pictures of the plants to kill the time. The Chinense actually got a lot of height like I aimed for. Should have put the others there also but it's to late for them now. Oh well, something take keep in mind for next season :)

The ones on the left are Georgia Black(s), in the middle is a sweet pepper, Pimenta Lisa and right are Pink Tigers.
IMAG3989.jpg

IMAG3992.jpg

IMAG3991.jpg

IMAG3990.jpg

The NagaBrains, and everything else, are looking great, Stefan!  :P

I've got your Puya and Chilhuacle Negro growing like crazy, in the hardening tent now, and the Madame Jeanette (7 plants) are ready to go outside. I will probably let Bob have several of them for his garden...

Man I love your hoop houses…I am so jealous. This picture is priceless, by the way—Thanks for making my day:

IMAG3966.jpg

Devv said:
Looking great Stefan!

Those gals are screaming plant me!

Been really windy here too, can't do much about already planted, expect pour yet more $$$ into the garden for future years.

Can you not harden the plants in the tunnel?

I have been thinking about it, Scott but they will probably still get sunburn. The poly sheet is UV stabilized but I think it still allows the UV to pass through the sheet. Also I don't wanna let them out of my sight yet, need to be able to move them into the shade when needed (control freak).

HillBilly Jeff said:
So are looking really nice.  Great color on them too.
:cheers: some where getting a bit yellow in the top but I sprayed them with an epsom solution. Looking better now.

maximumcapsicum said:
Shane you couldn't start hardening off. It's coming though I'm sure. Love the tunnels! Did you have those last year?
Yes I did, last year I built them up and got therefore was later with the plant out. Also the weather didn't help back then, this year it looks a lot more promising although this good weather at the moment usually means we will get a rainy and bad summer. Luckily they will be inside the tunnels :D

Datil said:
Very nice looking Stefan!

Cya

Datil
Grazie, Fabrizio!

Nulle said:
Great looking peppers.
Thanks, can't wait to start harvesting again :)

windchicken said:
The NagaBrains, and everything else, are looking great, Stefan!  :P

I've got your Puya and Chilhuacle Negro growing like crazy, in the hardening tent now, and the Madame Jeanette (7 plants) are ready to go outside. I will probably let Bob have several of them for his garden...

Man I love your hoop houses…I am so jealous. This picture is priceless, by the way—Thanks for making my day:

IMAG3966.jpg

Hey Gary, happy to hear the plants are doing good, they look great! Don't forget to make pictures of the Madame Jeanette next time :D Tell Bob his offspring is doing well ;)
She loves coming with me to the garden, always wanna help out. I planned on paving the path but turned out I have to face facts and do this next year. Got to much other stuff going first. As you can still I still need to replace the sheet on the door also and remove the chains from the hoops. I trellis the plants to the cords you see in the top of the picture. Worked great last year but I didn't do it directly when I planted out. This year I will which makes maintenance easier.

I know what you mean about yellowing.  I had two of my first four trays not do a lot.  They were yellow so I cut back on water.  Then I changed their light.  Finally I started some low dose nutes and they are greening up and growing.  Its always something isn't it.  But if it was super easy, it wouldn't be as much fun,

Not much happening on the pepper front except for growth and removing flowers. These last few days were almost windless so I could finally start to hardening of the Chinense. Should be a couple more sunny days and they can move to the poly tunnel. Then it's the Annuum's turn. Plant out should be around half of May, there's no frost at all.

IMAG4052.jpg

IMAG4051.jpg

IMAG4050.jpg

For Gary, the Nagabrain Chocolate F-2
IMAG4053.jpg

What a picture with your daughter and her baby doll in the poly tunnel!  Too cute!  Your plants have such perfect foliage and am happy to see some getting hardened off.  The greenhouse will be filled up in no time buddy.  Good luck with acclimating your plants.  I know it can be a PIA! 

Like Gary said-that pic is priceless.
So the Pink Tigers look like they lose their cool coloration as they grow I guess...oh well.
My bottom watering resulted in in yellow top growth fairly quickly, at first I though it was sunburn,as they were in the sun under double screens...then a dormant brain cell came to life-"Hey dip$hit, remember "yellow at the bottom, means feed and water me, yellow at the top  means your leaching all my nutrients,and I'm drowning!!!"

Live and learn, has turned into "Live and remember...." :rofl: :rofl:

Wife says the 96 plants at home are doing great.......uh,oh!Now I'm worried!

Looking Stellar my friend. Love seeing your babies out getting some real sunshine , 

I now how two pimenta lisa's and the one in the Aero is getting an almost reddish stem .

It looks awesome. Hope it stays that way. I will take a pic and send it to ya sooner than later 

Spicegeist said:
Very nice.  Can't wait to see those naga brain chocolates later on.
Me either, Charles. Got 3 plants of this variety going so hopefully a couple will have the desired traits :)

Devv said:
Plants are looking stellar Stefan!

I know you're just dying to get them in the ground.
I sure am, Scott but at least these are almost hardened of now. Had to put the tomatoes in ground first as they started to show nutrients defects.

Jamison said:
What a picture with your daughter and her baby doll in the poly tunnel!  Too cute!  Your plants have such perfect foliage and am happy to see some getting hardened off.  The greenhouse will be filled up in no time buddy.  Good luck with acclimating your plants.  I know it can be a PIA! 
It sure can, dragging all the plants around. I don't mind having them in the living room but there's other family members that have a strong different opinion about that :lol: Hopefully the next picture of my daughter will be her harvesting ripe cherry tomatoes ;)

gnslngr said:
Like Gary said-that pic is priceless.
So the Pink Tigers look like they lose their cool coloration as they grow I guess...oh well.
My bottom watering resulted in in yellow top growth fairly quickly, at first I though it was sunburn,as they were in the sun under double screens...then a dormant brain cell came to life-"Hey dip$hit, remember "yellow at the bottom, means feed and water me, yellow at the top  means your leaching all my nutrients,and I'm drowning!!!"

Live and learn, has turned into "Live and remember...." :rofl: :rofl:

Wife says the 96 plants at home are doing great.......uh,oh!Now I'm worried!
:lol: luckily they are some tough sob's so they will live to grow tall and give bountiful harvest ;)

romy6 said:
 Looking Stellar my friend. Love seeing your babies out getting some real sunshine , 

I now how two pimenta lisa's and the one in the Aero is getting an almost reddish stem .

It looks awesome. Hope it stays that way. I will take a pic and send it to ya sooner than later 
Also reddish, sounds cool, Jamie. I expect there to be a whole lot of variation in this particular variety. Just need to select the ones we like to continue grow out. I need to keep up with you Aero plants, you are outgrowing me ;)

Have a good weekend all!

Tomato, tomato!  Too funny man!  I have all the tomato seeds planted and growing.  99% germination outta them babies and now they are on the front porch hardening off.  Gave 4 away to my wife's Nano.  He was super excited.  Surprisingly he didn't want any paste tomatoes.  Being he is from Italy that blew my mind!

Jamison said:
Tomato, tomato!  Too funny man!  I have all the tomato seeds planted and growing.  99% germination outta them babies and now they are on the front porch hardening off.  Gave 4 away to my wife's Nano.  He was super excited.  Surprisingly he didn't want any paste tomatoes.  Being he is from Italy that blew my mind!

Happy to hear, man. Hope you and the family like them as much as we did :) Thing with paste tomatoes is that most of them aren't that tasty to eat like an regular tomato. They are mostly dry and grainy but once you've made sauce out of them they have the best taste and texture. I'm growing a couple of varieties this season that should be tasty for using in salads and such also, looking forward to try those. At the moment the magic word is strawberry ;) she knows they are flowering and fruits being formed, just a matter of weeks before I (she) can harvest the first ones :) Need to put up the nets pretty soon before the birds start eating them.

Still alive and kicking but currently doing a lot of things at once. So before the plants in the tunnel got to much neglected I started planting out this week. Temperatures went a bit down and we have more clouded weather, which is a good thing for planting out. I always strip of the older leaves when I plant out and as you can see the leaves have lost their deep green color. Most were really root bound. It's still a work in progress so it's not completely done yet.

IMAG4148.jpg

Not peppers but my tomatoes are going great also :D
IMAG4150.jpg

And I've been trying to make a couple of crosses I had in mind for this season, so far 3 different ones have taken. Now I need to wait impatiently till the pods mature  :rolleyes:

Back