• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2015-

Hi all. With Christmas having come and gone for another year, it's time to start preparing for the new season. I decided for the 2015 season to grow a lot more sweet-hab range peppers, as we use much more of those than the superhots as that's all my wife can handle. Still growing a few supers for my own use in cooking, sauces and powders though.
Anyways enough babbling-this (should) be my list for the season, however based on last year, 1 or 2 may still make their way in-
Superhots-
Yellow 7 pot-windchicken (OW) *
Nagabrain red-windchicken (OW)*
Bbg7-kingdenniz
Nagabrain yellow-windchicken
Nagabrain Chocolate-windchicken
Chocolate bbg7 - prodigal_son

Hot-
Peri peri - Refining Fire
MoA Scotch bonnet - Jamison (OW) *
Congo red - windchicken (OW) *
Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7 pot-windchicken
Safi red bonnet - didn't note who I got these from originally
Birgit's locoto - windchicken *
Locato - pepperlover
MoA red-cmpman/kingdenniz
Thai orange - prodigal_son

Mild-
Jalapeno cracked - pepperlover
Giant jalapeno-pepperlover
Bishops crown-pepperlover
Brazilian starfish-juanitos
Black Hungarian - hillbilly jeff
Aji pineapple-coheed196
Maras biber-kingdenniz
Urfa biber-kingdenniz
Aleppo-kingdenniz
Biker Billy jalapeno-buckeyepepper
Ecuadorian sweet rocoto - pepperlover
Criolla sella-buckeye
Orange starfish-pepperlover
Aji mango - pepperlover
Stuffing Scotch bonnet - pepperlover
Lemon drop - juanitos

Sweet-
Jimmy nardello - Kneppers peppers
Sweet apple - refining fire
Elephants ear - pepperlover
Bull's heart-pepperlover
Dulce sol - pepperlover

Wild-
CAP 215 - pepperlover
Tepin-seacowboy
CGN 19198 - pepperlover
Cumari pollux - pepperlover
Cumari pollux-prodigal_son
"Most prolific" C. Chacoense - pepperlover
C. Galapagoense-prodigal_son
C. Lanceolatum-prodigal_son
Cumari do para-prodigal_son
Rocopica-Prodigalson

I actually need to update it to show that the tepin and CAP 215 are now OW'S. I thought they'd died off after a couple of frosts, but was recently surprised to find new growth popping up on them. Trimmed off the dead growth, gave them a feed of fish hydrolysate and put them in the greenhouse. Tepin-

20141208_161318.jpg

CAP 215-
20141208_163401.jpg

I was planning on growing in raised beds this season, but due to our crap soil showing me it can't handle any decent amount of rain, will be growing in containers raised off the ground on pallets raised with cinder blocks. Pretty sure this would lead to some bad root rot if I grew in ground before I can fix the soil-
20141223_170829.jpg

Santa must've thought I was a good boy this year, or he was drunk and couldn't read his list properly. Got some awesome new gear for Christmas!
20141224_163824.jpg

20141225_201010.jpg

Currently have Galapagoense, Lanceolatum, prodigal_sons Cumari pollux, Cumari du Para, "most prolific" C. Chacoense, CGN 19198 and rocopica in the Aerogarden. In my new germination station I have bbg7 red and brown, Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7, locato, Ecuadorian sweet rocoto, MoA red, Stuffing Scotch bonnet, yellow and chocolate nagabrains, SAFI red bonnets, more lanceolatum, rocopica and galapagoense, and pepperlovers Cumari pollux from pepperlover.
I was also lucky enough to get in on Juanitos offer of a plant mfrb that he wanted to send out as test runs before selling live plants next season. I received 2 lemon drop and 2 Brazilian starfish plants in great condition, and have since had to pot them up into 6 inch pots.
20141226_162806.jpg

One last pic. I read a story that a local parks pond had been stocked with rainbow trout last week, so I had to go and try to catch my 1st ever trout as I love catching new fish, and I also wanted to see if they actually put up a good fight. Ended up getting a couple, and even for small fish they do indeed put up a fight! Much better than bass even twice their size.
20141217_161518.jpg

That's all for now. Need to get some updated pics of my OW'S soon to add. Thanks for stopping by, and all the best for the 2015 season!

I had the same purple hue on my moa seedlings I think I originally had the lights too close but I've moved the plants a bit further and added more lights at a distance, newer growth seems less purple. It seemed to be the worst on a couple moa's and all my reapers, but most others seem green. I think my deal was not enough light focused on a small area, just my .02

Looks like you're off to a strong start in your new place, Chris! How long did it take that rainwater in the photo in Post #1 to run off? My yard is in a river valley, too, and a hard rain will do much the same, but after an hour or so it will be gone....

East Texas Heat said:
I had the same purple hue on my moa seedlings I think I originally had the lights too close but I've moved the plants a bit further and added more lights at a distance, newer growth seems less purple. It seemed to be the worst on a couple moa's and all my reapers, but most others seem green. I think my deal was not enough light focused on a small area, just my .02
 Thanks ETH! I gave the seedlings a very diluted feed 2 nights ago, and the purpling has pretty much gone away. Seems it may have been a nutrient deficiency. I used Fox Farms light warrior last year which has worm castings and other good stuff in it, so didn't realise I needed to hit nutes already in coir til I saw Blister's glog. It's all a learning curve for me!

Devv said:
Things are looking good Chris!

Those OW's will come back hopefully; wow 24°, we only got as low as 29° here.
 Thanks Scott. Yeah the 24 was bad enough, but the wind chill made it even worse. Glad I had one day off in those temps so I could stay inside! Lol.
Thinking of trimming the OW's back more and bringing them inside for the rest of the winter. If I rearrange our lounge room I've got room in front of a nice size south facing window I can use. Just hoping they'll be ok with no leaves though. Yet another learning curve for me.

windchicken said:
Looks like you're off to a strong start in your new place, Chris! How long did it take that rainwater in the photo in Post #1 to run off? My yard is in a river valley, too, and a hard rain will do much the same, but after an hour or so it will be gone....
Thanks Gary! No chance of run off here, all the land around us is flat. With clear skies it soaks in/evaporates within a couple of days, but still end up with areas that hold water longer. Need to do some serious of the soil here. I'm pretty sure there's very limited beneficial soil life as there's still remnants of dead grass from mowing a couple of months ago. Nothing breaks down on top of the soil. Good thing is though that while work in on the raised bed we found a decent amount of earthworms, so we have an advantage there.
Cumari du Para is putting out some true leaves already
20150115_190426.jpg

Came home to find I had a galapagoense sprouted! Woohoohoo! Only problem is it was a helmet head
20150115_190337.jpg

Surgery success!
20150115_194020.jpg

Huge thanks again to prodigal_son for the seeds. I'm looking forward more to growing the wilds than any other variety this year.

Aerogarden peppers are doing good. Have 2/2 galapagoense up! Quick question though, is there an easy way to separate these so that I can keep 1 in the aerogarden and put 1 in coco? Or will I just have to cull one?
20150117_135527.jpg

Finally have a pubescens sprout that I didn't kill! (Yet). Ecuadorian sweet rocoto
20150117_160130.jpg

I also have another variety sprouting in the aerogarden! Came home from work today to find a rocopica hook
20150118_173820.jpg

All my current non AG babies. The purpling that was showing on some disappeared after giving them a feed, and seems like they've nearly all put on some growth as well
20150118_212149.jpg

My biggest 2 so far. Bubblegum 7 pot red and bubblegum 7 pot chocolate
20150118_212205.jpg

I'm sure many do things differently, but I wait until they have some size and snip one low, then put it in water. I've had great results doing that. You can also try to separate them if the soil will wash away. That's worked well for me too, but then one can lose both if things go south.

MeatHead1313 said:
Thanks for the kind words all!

Update time. Not a lot to update at the moment. Things have been going pretty steady lately. I've been getting one or two new sprouts roughly every 2 days, but a few have been helmet heads that have been KIA during surgery. The good thing about though is they've been multiples of supers that I've already got healthy sprouts of, and I was planni bh on only having 1 or 2 of each anyway this year, so no big deal there.

I did get my first sprouts in the aerogarden though. Cumari du Para-
attachicon.gif
20150109_095404.jpg

Couple of MoA sprouts-
attachicon.gif
20150109_203812.jpg

Went to our local Mexican grocer today to pick up some dried piquins in order to this-
attachicon.gif
20150110_172202.jpg

Chilli head trail mix. Mixed up some mixed nuts, M&M's and dried piquins.

While there, checked out the produce, and saw they have jalapeños at 2 pounds for $1. That price has me seriously considering not growing any Jalas this season, and just getting them from there instead.
Also found a bunch of red manzano's in with the usual yellow/orange manzano's so had to grab some to try-
attachicon.gif
20150110_123427.jpg

I love the idea of that trail mix, sounds really nice :)
Your seedlings are coming along really nicely, good job!

More peppers a poppin! I'd seen that Cappy had some brain strain seeds available for only $1 a couple of weeks ago so had to jump on it. Swore I'd limit the supers this year, but guess that ain't happening lol. Didn't note when I sowed the seeds, but think this one came up in 6 days, 7 at most
20150122_101144.jpg

Also finally have a Stuffing Scotch bonnet up! Sowed these Christmas day, but I think having the rapid rooters drying out so easily affected germ times. Keeping a closer eye on it now so hopefully no more long waits
20150123_151954.jpg

Received a great package from windchicken this week containing a couple different tepin varieties, and an awesome cross as well, so had to save seeds and put them in the dirt straight away. Sonoran chiltepin, Soto La Marina chiltepin and 7 pot barrackpore x tepin. (Boring dirt pic incoming)

20150122_101220.jpg

The plants I received from juanitos are doing great sitting in front of the kitchen window. Think I may need to top one of the starfish soon
20150122_101350.jpg

Aerogarden seedlings are doing good. Close to having 4 varieties up as one of my Cumari pollux seeds has a taproot out
20150123_153547.jpg

Absolutely loving coco coir! Getting much quicker growth this season compared to last year using peat based mediums. Pic was taken yesterday, and is 3 days after my last all seedling pic
20150122_080913.jpg

Which Barrackpore x Tepin pheno did you sow, Chris? I've got 9 cells of a tray seeded with "Baby" (the larger of the two phenos)....Man oh man I hope it will reproduce!

I'm so glad you're growing Congo Trinidad. I had a pecan-smoke-dried pod in my oatmeal this morning, and it tasted so good that I got really sad because I didn't sow Congo this year....YET :cool:

Your grow is looking real good...Have a great weekend dude!

D3monic said:
Tagging along to see how the Criolla sella does. Just added that to my wish list after reading a facebook post on taste.
 Thanks D3monic! I'm extremely interested to see how the criolla Sella does too. I read mango flavour and said hell yeah! Love mangoes so hoping it turns out that way

windchicken said:
Which Barrackpore x Tepin pheno did you sow, Chris? I've got 9 cells of a tray seeded with "Baby" (the larger of the two phenos)....Man oh man I hope it will reproduce!

I'm so glad you're growing Congo Trinidad. I had a pecan-smoke-dried pod in my oatmeal this morning, and it tasted so good that I got really sad because I didn't sow Congo this year....YET :cool:

Your grow is looking real good...Have a great weekend dude!
   Thanks Gary! I sowed seeds for the baby as I loved the flavour and heat of that one more than the tiny. When deseeding the pods yesterday the aroma completely filled the room. Only other pods I've had do that were the congo's. Speaking of, once production starts if you need congo pods let me know! I'd be more than happy to send you some.
Devv said:
Looking good Chris!

Just keep doing what you're doing!
Thanks Scott!

All the new babies popping their heads out sure a time to do the happy dance! :dance:

Glad you took advantage of the my offer didn't know what forum member got them! Some fun and interesting varieties you are growing, just don't know much about coco coir but your plants seems to like it a lot.  Did you start light feeding in coco right away? Thanks and good luck in 2015!

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
All the new babies popping their heads out sure a time to do the happy dance! :dance:

Glad you took advantage of the my offer didn't know what forum member got them! Some fun and interesting varieties you are growing, just don't know much about coco coir but your plants seems to like it a lot.  Did you start light feeding in coco right away? Thanks and good luck in 2015!
Thanks Cappy! Appreciate the very generous offer on the brain strain seeds too.
For the coir this is my first time doing anything other than just germinating in it so I had no idea what to do. I hadn't fertilized at all to start with and had a few plants start to get purple leaves, but thanks to info from Blister I started giving them a very light dose of General Hydroponics Maxigro and they've responded great. Purpling went away right after their first feed, so I'm now starting to give them their first feed as the first true leaves appear. So far so good.

Thanks Chris! You're a true friend....Well, dangit, KD...I've got a few germ cells left to sow that I was going to plant "bird" peppers in, but this Congo thing won't go away....

Here's a shot of part of the Congo Trinidad harvest of 2011, the first year I grew it. Thanks to our dear, late chile head friend Beth Boyd, the proprietor of peppermania.com for turning me on to this pepper and so many other wonderful varieties. We miss you Beth!

PB180042.jpg

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
everything looks great...
I feel bad.. i need to sow some congo too as that's how I met gary. . Gary the congo man who puts them in his grits!!
Thanks Denniz. If you don't sow any and would like some pods when I get some down the line hit me up!
windchicken said:
Thanks Chris! You're a true friend....Well, dangit, KD...I've got a few germ cells left to sow that I was going to plant "bird" peppers in, but this Congo thing won't go away....

Here's a shot of part of the Congo Trinidad harvest of 2011, the first year I grew it. Thanks to our dear, late chile head friend Beth Boyd, the proprietor of peppermania.com for turning me on to this pepper and so many other wonderful varieties. We miss you Beth!

PB180042.jpg
Thanks for the kind words Gary! I can say the same about you. Wish I had good news about the plants I got from you, but looks like the last real cold snap we had did the big ones in. Seems the greenhouse I got wasn't good enough, even with a heater. Still have the 2 f3 nagabrains inside going good though.
Wish I'd got a chance to interact with Beth. She sounded like an amazing person, and from what I've seen she had a great variety of peppers too.
Nice harvest!
Looks like I'll be setting up some rcw beds for the 2016 season soon. Just found someone selling hardwood chips for only $12 a yard only 5 minutes away from us, which sure beats the $40 a yard the landscaping companies and nurseries are asking around here. Can't wait! Going to try using some to improve the rest of our yard as well.

Not what you want to find on your inside plants
20150127_152640.jpg

What you really want to be surprised to find on said plants while planning a tactical nukular strike
20150127_140155.jpg

I'm seriously starting to think this plant can't die. This is the second time this tepin plant has appeared totally dead, only to start putting out new growth.
20150130_123715.jpg

While digging through my freezer last week I came across a bag full of aleppo peppers that I'd purchased from both pepperlover and joemomma last season. Dehydrated them and crushed into flakes. This is now my new pepper addiction! The flavour is absolutely amazing! Definitely growing a bunch of these this year
20150130_155053.jpg

Devv said:
I'm a dedicated Aphid hater!

Chris, does the town or county offer wood chips? I get mine for free, worth looking into....
As far as i know they don't offer wood chips, but I need to look into it more. I do know Lafayette Parish offers free compost though, so will be taking advantage of that for sure.

Back