• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2015-

Hi all. With Christmas having come and gone for another year, it's time to start preparing for the new season. I decided for the 2015 season to grow a lot more sweet-hab range peppers, as we use much more of those than the superhots as that's all my wife can handle. Still growing a few supers for my own use in cooking, sauces and powders though.
Anyways enough babbling-this (should) be my list for the season, however based on last year, 1 or 2 may still make their way in-
Superhots-
Yellow 7 pot-windchicken (OW) *
Nagabrain red-windchicken (OW)*
Bbg7-kingdenniz
Nagabrain yellow-windchicken
Nagabrain Chocolate-windchicken
Chocolate bbg7 - prodigal_son

Hot-
Peri peri - Refining Fire
MoA Scotch bonnet - Jamison (OW) *
Congo red - windchicken (OW) *
Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7 pot-windchicken
Safi red bonnet - didn't note who I got these from originally
Birgit's locoto - windchicken *
Locato - pepperlover
MoA red-cmpman/kingdenniz
Thai orange - prodigal_son

Mild-
Jalapeno cracked - pepperlover
Giant jalapeno-pepperlover
Bishops crown-pepperlover
Brazilian starfish-juanitos
Black Hungarian - hillbilly jeff
Aji pineapple-coheed196
Maras biber-kingdenniz
Urfa biber-kingdenniz
Aleppo-kingdenniz
Biker Billy jalapeno-buckeyepepper
Ecuadorian sweet rocoto - pepperlover
Criolla sella-buckeye
Orange starfish-pepperlover
Aji mango - pepperlover
Stuffing Scotch bonnet - pepperlover
Lemon drop - juanitos

Sweet-
Jimmy nardello - Kneppers peppers
Sweet apple - refining fire
Elephants ear - pepperlover
Bull's heart-pepperlover
Dulce sol - pepperlover

Wild-
CAP 215 - pepperlover
Tepin-seacowboy
CGN 19198 - pepperlover
Cumari pollux - pepperlover
Cumari pollux-prodigal_son
"Most prolific" C. Chacoense - pepperlover
C. Galapagoense-prodigal_son
C. Lanceolatum-prodigal_son
Cumari do para-prodigal_son
Rocopica-Prodigalson

I actually need to update it to show that the tepin and CAP 215 are now OW'S. I thought they'd died off after a couple of frosts, but was recently surprised to find new growth popping up on them. Trimmed off the dead growth, gave them a feed of fish hydrolysate and put them in the greenhouse. Tepin-

20141208_161318.jpg

CAP 215-
20141208_163401.jpg

I was planning on growing in raised beds this season, but due to our crap soil showing me it can't handle any decent amount of rain, will be growing in containers raised off the ground on pallets raised with cinder blocks. Pretty sure this would lead to some bad root rot if I grew in ground before I can fix the soil-
20141223_170829.jpg

Santa must've thought I was a good boy this year, or he was drunk and couldn't read his list properly. Got some awesome new gear for Christmas!
20141224_163824.jpg

20141225_201010.jpg

Currently have Galapagoense, Lanceolatum, prodigal_sons Cumari pollux, Cumari du Para, "most prolific" C. Chacoense, CGN 19198 and rocopica in the Aerogarden. In my new germination station I have bbg7 red and brown, Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7, locato, Ecuadorian sweet rocoto, MoA red, Stuffing Scotch bonnet, yellow and chocolate nagabrains, SAFI red bonnets, more lanceolatum, rocopica and galapagoense, and pepperlovers Cumari pollux from pepperlover.
I was also lucky enough to get in on Juanitos offer of a plant mfrb that he wanted to send out as test runs before selling live plants next season. I received 2 lemon drop and 2 Brazilian starfish plants in great condition, and have since had to pot them up into 6 inch pots.
20141226_162806.jpg

One last pic. I read a story that a local parks pond had been stocked with rainbow trout last week, so I had to go and try to catch my 1st ever trout as I love catching new fish, and I also wanted to see if they actually put up a good fight. Ended up getting a couple, and even for small fish they do indeed put up a fight! Much better than bass even twice their size.
20141217_161518.jpg

That's all for now. Need to get some updated pics of my OW'S soon to add. Thanks for stopping by, and all the best for the 2015 season!

Just caught up. Great glog.

Sucks that you lost some of your chinense but everything else is looking great. You could always lay some ground cover/weed barrier around those beds with no walls. Or dig a shallow trench/moat around them and maybe put some mulch in to keep weeds from taking over. I bought a giant roll of weed barrier from greenhousemegastore and am covering the entire 30' x 30' garden with it as well as the two beds. I despise weeding and it's very difficult for me to do with my injury so everything that can get covered is lol. Hope the rest of your season goes great

Scorched said:
Just caught up. Great glog.

Sucks that you lost some of your chinense but everything else is looking great. You could always lay some ground cover/weed barrier around those beds with no walls. Or dig a shallow trench/moat around them and maybe put some mulch in to keep weeds from taking over. I bought a giant roll of weed barrier from greenhousemegastore and am covering the entire 30' x 30' garden with it as well as the two beds. I despise weeding and it's very difficult for me to do with my injury so everything that can get covered is lol. Hope the rest of your season goes great
Thanks Scorched! I've thought about different ways to minimize weeds in the new beds, but to be honest just said screw it. Any excuse I have to check on/work in the garden every day means less time sitting on my butt doing nothing so it's a good way to keep myself active before and after work.
Love greenhousemegastore.com. The root pouches they have are great, and extremely cheap compared to elsewhere. I really need to check out other options they have, as I'll be needing shade cloth for hardening off next year for sure. Hope you get some relief from your injury soon!

I just bought 30% shade cloth from them along with the ground cover and a few other things. The only thing that sucked was I had to get a piece much bigger than I needed or else I'd have had to wait 3 weeks for the custom cut stuff. At least it wasn't too expensive and I can double it over to use as a hardening off aid. I use the Walmart reusable blue bags for my containers. Hold about 7 gallons and drain really well. Almost too well. They only last one season in the sun but at .50 each they're hard to beat.

The injury is permanent unfortunately. Had to have a spinal fusion in '07 due to an injury at work. Has really changed things in my life but I'm much better and in a much better place than I was a few years ago. Found an amazing pain management doctor and I can almost do everything that I could pre injury. Thank you for the well wishes though. Growing chiles has been an extremely therapeutic activity for both body and mind. Joining THP and chatting and sharing with the amazing people here has only helped even more.

Scorched said:
I just bought 30% shade cloth from them along with the ground cover and a few other things. The only thing that sucked was I had to get a piece much bigger than I needed or else I'd have had to wait 3 weeks for the custom cut stuff. At least it wasn't too expensive and I can double it over to use as a hardening off aid. I use the Walmart reusable blue bags for my containers. Hold about 7 gallons and drain really well. Almost too well. They only last one season in the sun but at .50 each they're hard to beat.

The injury is permanent unfortunately. Had to have a spinal fusion in '07 due to an injury at work. Has really changed things in my life but I'm much better and in a much better place than I was a few years ago. Found an amazing pain management doctor and I can almost do everything that I could pre injury. Thank you for the well wishes though. Growing chiles has been an extremely therapeutic activity for both body and mind. Joining THP and chatting and sharing with the amazing people here has only helped even more.
I really need to check out my local walmart for those bags. I tried similar bags last year from my local Dollar General that were $1 a bag and sound about the same size. Had good results until I had to move them.
Sorry to hear about the severity of the injury! Glad to hear the surgery helped at least. It's crazy how therapeutic gardening can be. Even without an injury coming home from work and walking out to either tend the plants or even just spending time walking amongst them is enough to take the stress away. Now I know why my grandmother spent so much time in her garden!

Not sure I'll be able to update much the next week or so. Been advised by the Dr to stay out of sunlight as much as possible due to suffering superficial 2nd degree burns on my forehead at work. So it'll be quick checks on the plants while having a cigarette for a while. I did manage to snap a couple of pics today though.
Aji mango from pepperlover. This thing has got the biggest leaves I've ever seen on an outdoor plant

20150514_120853.jpg

Quick pic of some of the nagabrain pods
20150514_144703.jpg

MoA's
20150514_144714.jpg

Lemon drops loading up with flowers and fruit
20150514_144721.jpg

20150514_144728.jpg

Brazilian starfish
20150514_144735.jpg

20150514_144747.jpg

Shishito. This was a plant I bought from Lowes, and judging by the amount of pods it's putting out already looks like one I'll be growing yearly. Seems like it'll be super productive
20150514_144804.jpg

Noticed a few ladybugs on my plants today, so glad the beneficials are out doing their job! Found this one with a cluster of eggs thanks to a chance angle I was on
20150514_144831.jpg

New Mexico 6-4L
20150514_144911.jpg

Carmen sweet
20150514_144951.jpg

While hoping and praying the volunteer plants I had were either black Hungarian or preferably CGN 21500, turns out they're Chinese 5 colour. Adds a nice splash of colour to the raised bed, and didn't have to do anything for them so an added bonus there
20150514_144923.jpg

Tomatoes-tomatoes everywhere!
20150506_073831.jpg

20150506_073846.jpg

20150506_073852.jpg

Got the aerogarden loaded up with lettuce for the better half. It's starting to grow like weeds now! She's had 2 harvests in the last week, and can easily get another already. I love this machine!
20150514_213845.jpg

Me and Max chilling and watching the Simpsons. I swear dogs can sense when somethings wrong and try to comfort you. This lugs been extremely clingy since I burnt myself
imagejpeg_0.jpg

You have pods already and I barely have started planting.  Looks good.  Sorry about the burn.  Nothing more painful.  Plants are looking great.  I have a shishito growing also, quite a few flowers and branching already and still in a 3.5.   

jcw10tc said:
You have pods already and I barely have started planting.  Looks good.  Sorry about the burn.  Nothing more painful.  Plants are looking great.  I have a shishito growing also, quite a few flowers and branching already and still in a 3.5.
Thanks jcw! Yeah the burn sucks. Worst part is being off work for at least a week, but can't spend time outside. If I could work in the garden or go fishing it'd be great!
One advantage to the south is early planting out, and early pods. Though give it a month or 2 and I'll be begging for your weather when the heat and humidity drops my production.
Hope your shishito does as good or better than mines doing so far. Mines going nuts! Just wish they'd turn red already.

Great looking pics of great looking plants. Shitty deal getting burnt man.

The red and yellow naga brains I got from you are doing great. Can't wait to try them along with the chocolate. The BBM are doing fantastic as well. Thanks again for sharing those.

Scorched said:
Great looking pics of great looking plants. Shitty deal getting burnt man.

The red and yellow naga brains I got from you are doing great. Can't wait to try them along with the chocolate. The BBM are doing fantastic as well. Thanks again for sharing those.
Glad to hear! From what I've been told the BBM is hot as hell but tastes extremely bitter. Really hoping they're not that bad. The nagabrains are great imo. As with most peppers I've tried, the yellows my favourite, but the red and chocolate are great as well

Back