• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2015-

Hi all. With Christmas having come and gone for another year, it's time to start preparing for the new season. I decided for the 2015 season to grow a lot more sweet-hab range peppers, as we use much more of those than the superhots as that's all my wife can handle. Still growing a few supers for my own use in cooking, sauces and powders though.
Anyways enough babbling-this (should) be my list for the season, however based on last year, 1 or 2 may still make their way in-
Superhots-
Yellow 7 pot-windchicken (OW) *
Nagabrain red-windchicken (OW)*
Bbg7-kingdenniz
Nagabrain yellow-windchicken
Nagabrain Chocolate-windchicken
Chocolate bbg7 - prodigal_son

Hot-
Peri peri - Refining Fire
MoA Scotch bonnet - Jamison (OW) *
Congo red - windchicken (OW) *
Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7 pot-windchicken
Safi red bonnet - didn't note who I got these from originally
Birgit's locoto - windchicken *
Locato - pepperlover
MoA red-cmpman/kingdenniz
Thai orange - prodigal_son

Mild-
Jalapeno cracked - pepperlover
Giant jalapeno-pepperlover
Bishops crown-pepperlover
Brazilian starfish-juanitos
Black Hungarian - hillbilly jeff
Aji pineapple-coheed196
Maras biber-kingdenniz
Urfa biber-kingdenniz
Aleppo-kingdenniz
Biker Billy jalapeno-buckeyepepper
Ecuadorian sweet rocoto - pepperlover
Criolla sella-buckeye
Orange starfish-pepperlover
Aji mango - pepperlover
Stuffing Scotch bonnet - pepperlover
Lemon drop - juanitos

Sweet-
Jimmy nardello - Kneppers peppers
Sweet apple - refining fire
Elephants ear - pepperlover
Bull's heart-pepperlover
Dulce sol - pepperlover

Wild-
CAP 215 - pepperlover
Tepin-seacowboy
CGN 19198 - pepperlover
Cumari pollux - pepperlover
Cumari pollux-prodigal_son
"Most prolific" C. Chacoense - pepperlover
C. Galapagoense-prodigal_son
C. Lanceolatum-prodigal_son
Cumari do para-prodigal_son
Rocopica-Prodigalson

I actually need to update it to show that the tepin and CAP 215 are now OW'S. I thought they'd died off after a couple of frosts, but was recently surprised to find new growth popping up on them. Trimmed off the dead growth, gave them a feed of fish hydrolysate and put them in the greenhouse. Tepin-

20141208_161318.jpg

CAP 215-
20141208_163401.jpg

I was planning on growing in raised beds this season, but due to our crap soil showing me it can't handle any decent amount of rain, will be growing in containers raised off the ground on pallets raised with cinder blocks. Pretty sure this would lead to some bad root rot if I grew in ground before I can fix the soil-
20141223_170829.jpg

Santa must've thought I was a good boy this year, or he was drunk and couldn't read his list properly. Got some awesome new gear for Christmas!
20141224_163824.jpg

20141225_201010.jpg

Currently have Galapagoense, Lanceolatum, prodigal_sons Cumari pollux, Cumari du Para, "most prolific" C. Chacoense, CGN 19198 and rocopica in the Aerogarden. In my new germination station I have bbg7 red and brown, Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7, locato, Ecuadorian sweet rocoto, MoA red, Stuffing Scotch bonnet, yellow and chocolate nagabrains, SAFI red bonnets, more lanceolatum, rocopica and galapagoense, and pepperlovers Cumari pollux from pepperlover.
I was also lucky enough to get in on Juanitos offer of a plant mfrb that he wanted to send out as test runs before selling live plants next season. I received 2 lemon drop and 2 Brazilian starfish plants in great condition, and have since had to pot them up into 6 inch pots.
20141226_162806.jpg

One last pic. I read a story that a local parks pond had been stocked with rainbow trout last week, so I had to go and try to catch my 1st ever trout as I love catching new fish, and I also wanted to see if they actually put up a good fight. Ended up getting a couple, and even for small fish they do indeed put up a fight! Much better than bass even twice their size.
20141217_161518.jpg

That's all for now. Need to get some updated pics of my OW'S soon to add. Thanks for stopping by, and all the best for the 2015 season!

Checking for Aphids is the easy part, and I would think too much nutes would start with a darkening of plants that progresses to looking under watered. What I see from too much light is a purple effect. My guess would be over watering, but I'm here, and you're there ;)

Do you have a fan on them?

Devv said:
Checking for Aphids is the easy part, and I would think too much nutes would start with a darkening of plants that progresses to looking under watered. What I see from too much light is a purple effect. My guess would be over watering, but I'm here, and you're there ;)

Do you have a fan on them?
Thanks Scott. I had been getting a fair bit of purpling last week, but raised the lights and it seems to have gone. My guess was over watering as well. No fan yet, but going to pick one up this week.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
how deep to sow the seeds.. AEROGARDEN:
As mentioned. I cut the baskets in half. (Believe it or not. Not to long ago they sold other baskets thst snapped off) easier to pull them off the basket and allows you to reuse

Thanks for the video Denniz! Love the tip about cutting the pots. Will definitely be trying that. Going to be transplanting what I have in there next week when I get some good potting mix, I "was" going to put in some lettuce and kale seeds for my wife, but have a feeling some peppers I still have to sow will magically end up in there instead lol.
PaulS said:
Aerogarden plants look great dude.
Aphids are a nightmare, I hope you get lucky getting rid of them.
Thanks Paul. I hate aphids! Thankfully giving them a spray of organic pesticide I had knocked them down, and luckily didn't hurt a few remaining ladybug nymphs that were hanging around so hopefully they'll stay under control now. From what I saw when we moved into our new place last September, aphids are the least of my worries outdoors. Going to have a hell of a time with grasshoppers and caterpillars/hornworms as well. Good news is, already have plans in place for all of them!
Lemon drop flower has opened, so I have my first open flower for the year! Used a q tip to try to pollinate it, but didn't notice any pollen on it at all so not holding out hope for a pod

20150205_121740.jpg

With my tepin having shown some new growth after I thought it was dead yet again, I trimmed all the dead growth off, and had to repot due to the old pot starting to break and brought it inside before our latest frost forecast. Didn't want to try to risk leaving it out again. It'll be interesting to see what it's growth habits are like this year compared to last. Last year it had 5 or 6 main branches that grew straight up, so even though it was over 2 foot high it was only around 1 foot wide. Still put out tons of pods though. New growth is coming on really well. Have it sitting next to a south facing window in the master bathroom
20150206_122913.jpg

New additions to the family under lights. I have congo reds, yellow Nagabrain, a Stuffing bonnet, Soto La Marina tepin, and BBM and 7 pot Primo that have joined the party
20150206_123256.jpg

In non pepper news, our aloe Vera plant is still going gangbusters, even with my wife cutting off leaves for moisturizer every now and then
20150206_125920.jpg

Come plant out time I'll have a bunch of aloe plants to tend to along with the peppers and tomatoes. Big girl has pups galore that'll be taken off and replanted
20150206_125932.jpg

Plants in the aerogarden looking good, I agree with Devv on possible water issues with the others but no worries I'm sure youll get em to bounce back. Remind me what a BBM is :think: The tepin will be one to watch seems to be very resiliant. Aloe vera is rockin!

beerbreath81 said:
Plants in the aerogarden looking good, I agree with Devv on possible water issues with the others but no worries I'm sure youll get em to bounce back. Remind me what a BBM is :think: The tepin will be one to watch seems to be very resiliant. Aloe vera is rockin!
The more I think of what I've been doing, the more I definitely have to agree with you and Scott on over watering. From my limited time starting from seed, that seems to be the one issue I can't avoid lol. I need to learn to stop treating new sprouts and seedlings like established plants.
BBM is another pepper from Troy Primo. From what I've read it's a douglah/naga morich cross. Supposed to be crazy hot, but I haven't seen anything positive about the taste. Supposedly extremely bitter/battery acid taste, which I'd guess comes from the douglah as that's all I get from those. Figured I got the seeds for free when I ordered some of his sauce so I'd give them a try. At worst they'll taste as bad as I've read, and I can dry them and use them to keep possums/racoons/armadillos/whatever else off the rest of my plants lol.
That tepin has blown me away with how resilient it is! Wilds definitely seem to have some very desirable traits from what I've seen so far. 

Once I move the sprouts to a solo, I bottom water. Every once in a while on a really young plant I add a tiny bit to the top if I feel the roots haven't drilled down to where the bottom water is. I then water by weight. The hard part is some really drink and others sip. I can check several and then find one that's drooping. The cool thing is once they have 4 true leaves they won't die if they droop a bit, but I check them every day.

Finally sowed seeds for my 2nd round today. I'd become pretty despondent lately due to not being able to work out what's wrong with my Chinenses. Still battling the same problem, and even repotting into new potting mix doesn't seem to have helped. Thinking of setting up the mini greenhouse outside and just putting them in there to fend for themselves. If they make it-awesome. If not, I've still got a bunch of frozen pods to get me through the season.
20150223_150206.jpg

In happy news, the 2 lemon drop and 2 Brazilian starfish plants from juanitos are kicking along great! Seriously need to get them into something bigger than the 6 inch pots soon

20150223_152342.jpg

Starting to get a nice amount of flowers too
20150223_102136.jpg

And even have my first pod for the year on a lemon drop!
20150223_102126.jpg

Couple more sprouts in the AG. Brazilian starfish orange, aleppo and large orange thai
20150223_152350.jpg

OW'd,twice thought dead tepin is growing along well. Definitely looks like it'll be much bushier than last year

20150223_152412.jpg

My other surviving OW'S are still hanging around. Can't wait for these cold fronts to disappear so I can get them outside
20150223_153931.jpg

My wilds from the AG seem to be doing well after transplanting. Cumari du Para and Galapagoense-
20150223_153936.jpg

Cumari pollux and rocopica-
20150223_153942.jpg

I'm right with you on the weather getting its head out of its butt!
35° here today as a high and the plants have to stay inside until Saturday. Next season I make the grow stations taller as they're pushing at the lights already.

Hopefully this is the last cold front....

Devv said:
I'm right with you on the weather getting its head out of its butt!
35° here today as a high and the plants have to stay inside until Saturday. Next season I make the grow stations taller as they're pushing at the lights already.

Hopefully this is the last cold front....
Definitely hoping it's the last front. It was in the 70's here on Saturday, sitting at 40 right now. The yoyo temps are what I dislike the most. Hoping the 10 day prediction sticks for next weekend
Screenshot_2015-02-23-16-42-29.png

Looking good chris I accidentally offed one of my Brazilian Starfish today.
I have gotten mixed results but wicked mike going to help me out.
I am waiting for my Peach Bhut Jolokia S S resowed wed 18 .
I be happy if I just get one to germ going to use my for tier greenhouse for isolation or making crosses
At lest thats what I am thinking

Been a long time since updates in here so here goes. Pretty much everything I started in soil this year bit the dust. No idea exactly what happened, but think it may have been either over watering, over fertilizing, f@$!#\g aphids, or a combination of all 3. Turned out to possibly be a blessing in disguise, as most were superhots and I still have a ton of supers in the freezer from last year to work with. Everything I started in the aerogarden has survived, and supplemented those with plants from Lowes and my favourite local nursery.
Time for pics. Raised bed is going nuts. Have 3 tomatoes and 3 peppers (large orange thai, carmen and New Mexico 6-4L) in the bed. Have green onions, assorted herbs, marigolds, couple of carrots and some volunteer peppers (either black Hungarian, Chinese 5 colour or black pearl) growing in the cinder block holes.
20150430_141740.jpg

Still growing some plants in containers due to our terrible clay.
20150430_141804.jpg

20150430_141812.jpg

My wife and I built a couple of other semi raised beds for the rest of the peppers. At the time we didn't want to deal with hauling/carrying the cinder blocks so went without. Realise now that was a huge mistake as weeding will be a near full time job!
20150430_141955.jpg

20150430_142002.jpg

That's all the pics for now. Will get some pod pics and non pepper pics tomorrow.

Looks good.  I have terrible clay also.  Spend about a month soon as ground thaws digging holes with post hole digger, then fill those holes with some potting type mix I make.  Wife is insisting on raised beds, have a few but probably have to turn the main pepper patch into them end of this season.  Good luck with everying, hope to be plating out soon myself.

Update time. Waiting on my first sweet cherry pepper to ripen
20150506_073402.jpg

New Mexico big Jims are podding up.

20150506_073423.jpg

20150506_073427.jpg

Some late sown beans starting off nicely. Have Chinese red noodle and blue lake pole here
20150506_073451.jpg

20150506_073455.jpg

Also have a late sown okra
20150506_073534.jpg

Shishito loading up

20150506_073714.jpg

Our Celeste fig is enjoying it's new home in a 30 gallon root pouch full of Dr Earth potting mix and is putting out a bunch of fruit
20150506_074057.jpg

It's that time of year here to look out for the biting creatures. Found this little fella chilling in the shade on the side of our house
20150506_120015.jpg

Bought a bhut jolokia from my favourite local nursery, but was unsure if it'd be true or something else due to horror stories I've read on here. Looks like I've got nothing to fear! Growing true, and bumpy as all get out
20150511_073546.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by!

Back