• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa77754 2012 Glog

Hey Everyone
icon_smile.gif

So I figured it is about time I start a Grow log of my own and I will do my very best to keep it up to date. With two kiddos and a massive amount of plants my days can be pretty hectic. I grew jalapenos and serranos last season, had a decent harvest considering the small pot size I used. In July I met a nice lady giving away hot pepper seeds to newbies on GW, decided to give them a try, August met Smokemaster through a generous SASBE offer and the rest is history!! lol

I started a batch in late August so I have some "overwinters" if you will, living in SoCal I can grow year round with the right protection from time to time. I started out with a cheap 12'x7' hoop house and when the winds thrashed that I bought two 6x8 with shelving, still the cheaper plastic hot house type but the shelving makes it heavy and the winds don't phase it. I also have a 6x6 indoor tent with a 4 bulb T5 and 2 monster size CFL's. The growth indoors versus out does not even compare, T5's are amazing! Have to thank my bro for giving me that fixture.

I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew being it's my first real season growing super hots mainly. I plan to sell some plants along the way to help fund my pepper growing addiction
icon_smile.gif
My log will be pretty picture heavy which I am sure most will not mind! Enjoy and happy pepper growing to everyone!!
dancingpepper.gif

My grow list (Still need to add, started some more trays after creating this list and haven't had time to update)

"CLUBBED" SCOTCH BONNET (rec'd in trade from canada, this is the shape he explained thus the name)
7 POT PRIMO
7 POD BURGUNDY
7 POT BARRACKPORE
7 POT BROWN
7 POT JONAH BUTCH T
7 POT MOROUGA YELLOW
7 POT ORANGE
7 POT RED
7 POT YELLOW
7 POT YELLOW LARGE
AJI JOE CHOCOLATE HAND GRENADE
AJI LIMON
AJI UMBA
ANCHO MULATO
ARBOL
ARIBIBI GUSANO
BEAVER DAM
BENI HIGHLANDS
BETH MYSTERY PACK
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA INDIAN CARBON
BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE
BIG JIM
BIKER BILLY
BIQUINHO
BIRGITS LOCOTO
BLACK NAGA JOLOKIA
BRAIN STRAIN
BRAIN STRAIN SR
CANTINA YELLOW
CARRIBEAN RED
CASCABELLA
CAYENNE GOLDEN
CHAPAEU DE FRADE
CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
CHOCOLATE SCOTCH BONNET
CHOCOLATE T.S.
CONGO BLACK
CONGO RED
COSTENNO AMARILLO
DATIL
DOUGHLAH
DOUGHLAH X BUTCH T
EARBOB PI59272
EL ORO DE EQUADOR
FATALLI
GIANT JALAPENO
GRENADA YELLOW SEASONING
GUYANA PI199506
GUERRITO
HABANERO BIG SUN
HAROLD ST BARTS
HOT HUNGARIAN
INFINITY
JAMAICAN YELLOW
JIMMY NARDELLO
LIGHTNING MIX
MADAME JEANETTE
MANZANO RED
MANZANO AMARILLO
MANZANO ORANGE
MARCONI ROSSO
MOROUGA YELLOW
MYSTERY
NAGA MORICH
NAGABON
NUMEX SANDIA
NUMEX TWILIGHT
ORANGE THAI
PADRON
PEACH BHUT JOLOKIA
PEACH HABALOKIA
PEACH LANTERN
PEACH SCORPANERO
PERUVIAN GOLD
PINK HABANERO
PURPLE BHUT JOLOKIA
QUEEN LAURIE PI1281405
RED FATALLI
RED HABANERO
RED ROCOTO
RED SAVINA
SANTAKA ASIAN
SCOTCH BONNET
SUPERHOT SURPRISE
SUPREME MIX
SURINAME HABANERO
T.S. BUTCH T
T.S. MOROUGA
TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET
TRINIDAD BEAN
TRINIDAD MOROVAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
TRINIDAD SEASONING
TRINIDAD SWEET CHERRY
WHIT 7 POD
YELLOW HABALOKIA
YELLOW 7 POT LRG
YELLOW 7 POT X ?
YELLOW BHUT JOLOKIA
YELLOW BRAIN STRAIN
YELLOW T.S.

MY CHOCOLATE HAB IS LOADED WITH FLOWERS!
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

RED HABANERO
IMG_2787.jpg

We have a farmers market close by, and i may sell my extra pods too in co-operation with a local farmer. How much are you going to sell your superhots, annums, etc? Trying to get a feel on how much to charge, don't want to price them too high and loose the sell :)

If you can't find a spot at the market for yourself, maybe you can join another farmer and sell your peppers that way.

You know I haven't come up with a good price or really given it much thought yet. I know I will be reasonably priced. Definitely won't be charging $30-$60 per pound like I have seen, that is just insane to me. People are paying more than $1 per pod, I don't get it?! lol. I already have a bunch of people who want pods locally, and I haven't even advertised. I will do some sample boxes on here as well, plan to label the pods too, bought a ptouch labeler just for this. Nothing worse than playing guess the pepper game! Lol. I plan on making a bunch of powders as well, my husband wants to make snacks (peanuts/pistachios ect..) with them.

As much as I want to be completely legit this year, it will be hard to get to that level. But hopefully I can make it happen. Still a work in progress that requires a good amount of funds to get going.

I have a feeling the superhots will drop drastically in price this year, no reason for people to have to pay so much for pods! ;)

Good luck unloading your extras, and if it doesn't work out turn them in to powders!

Hey Melissa everything looks great as usual we have similar mystery green pod with purple strips while your pods put mine to shame it is still awesome to see pods
DSCN0438.jpg
. Hopefully you plants are handling the weather better than mine I currently only have the wild brazil that dealt with a heatstroke depressing thing was all the flowers fell off but the good news it is currently recovering.

Hey Melissa everything looks great as usual we have similar mystery green pod with purple strips while your pods put mine to shame it is still awesome to see pods
DSCN0438.jpg
. Hopefully you plants are handling the weather better than mine I currently only have the wild brazil that dealt with a heatstroke depressing thing was all the flowers fell off but the good news it is currently recovering.

How did I already reach my quota for positive votes??? lol

Thanks for stopping in Fernando! That plant looks similar to mine, the pods I have are just longer, but that could be because mine are a little older than yours and in the ground? The plants are trucking through the heat, so far not too many stressed from it. They definitely start to wilt during the hottest parts of the day, as soon as the area gets shaded they perk back up. My largest bed gets full sun almost all day, worried about them! Lol. Not even 100deg heat yet, really kicking myself for cutting so much of my tree down, the plants could have used the shade! Oh well, will have to buy some shade cloth I guess. So far no flower drops, thankfully, glad your wild brazil is pulling through. I just got some Pimenta De Neyde seeds, after looking at everyones pics of that I just HAVE to grow it! :)

A shot of my bed out front, these are by far my best in ground plants! They love that bed! I was almost thinking I can add a couple more in this bed, gave everything more than enough elbow room. :P I have my Alabama Jumper worms coming tomorrow, 1,000 of them. Going to put them to work ASAP, especially in my large bed! :D
IMG_3050.jpg

A Chocolate Bhut has emerged! :)
IMG_3053.jpg

I must be crazy buying plants when I have so many. Went to pick up some supplies for a friend yesterday and came across these, for $1 each. SCORE! I was thinking about starting seeds for these two varieties, now I don't need to! :D
IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

Hubby is home from work, time to get my butt outside and do some potting up! Happy Gardening everyone!

Yea I think that is the difference I have my plant in a 5 gallon root pouch are I don't remember when I started the mystery seeds from AjiJoe but it was not at the same time as the others maybe late February or early March, but the Pimenta De Neyde is great add I just moved my largest one outside last week and it seems to love it I have it under an orange tree that is porviding enough shade. Once I get the my pepper sanctuary done I will cover with a shade cloth from HD that is suppose to drop the current weather by 15 degrees and just double layer it depending on how much sun it blocks out. I have a few mystery c.chinense starting to pod that look crazy. Hopefully everything works out at the farmers market and you everything get sorted, so that your successful your first time out.

hey Fernando!1

sorry to hear about your plants,at least the wild brazil is ok keep in touch thanks your friend Joe

Mellissa...you are a dirty, dirty girl....well what do you expect after all that gardening...wow, you my friend are out doing yourself. I know how it can be with little monsters running around trying to "help" with the gardening. My buddy has a 5 year old boy and. 2 year old daughter....it's like two little bi-polar midgets running around. One second they are happy, next second they are bawling, then they are quite.....for about three seconds...and then they are screaming bloody murder, while touching everything you tell them not too...I love it! Your garden....is an amazing accomplishment. I'd like to get my hands on your chiles....what I'm not a pervert, I just have a way with words that some would say is charming and charismatic...I will let you know when I find them..I know what you mean about the price on pods..I have paid it once and that was the last time...but he'll if people want to pay it, I'll sell it to them. You are right, this fall you will see a ridiculous reduction in cost, I think. At least in THP's market place. I'm sure the general public would never pay anything near that. Although habaneros are 7.99 a lb some places and they are being grown in mass quantities, so 30 for a lb of some of the more rare varieties isn't that far off. Well your garden is ridiculous, your neighbors have probably stopped talking to you by now (nice trick, I've been trying to get mine to stop talking to me but they keep poppin' up...I think tomorrow I will start planting hot pepper plants all over the place and see what happens. ;) but in all seriousness, your glog has just put mine to shame...you've broken my heart Mellisa......and replaced it with a chile pepper.

Nice score on the fish and piquin! My fish peppers are loading up with pods! Every time I check them there are 4 or 5 more set...still having trouble with pod set om my piquins and tepins...think they may prefer a little less fertile soil than I have them in. I might put some of them in the ground this weekend and see it they do any better??? Think you're gonna love them both. Hope your fish variegates nicely for you, some don't get as crazy with it...or do it at all.

Looking great as always! Keep it up!
Shane

Yea I think that is the difference I have my plant in a 5 gallon root pouch are I don't remember when I started the mystery seeds from AjiJoe but it was not at the same time as the others maybe late February or early March, but the Pimenta De Neyde is great add I just moved my largest one outside last week and it seems to love it I have it under an orange tree that is porviding enough shade. Once I get the my pepper sanctuary done I will cover with a shade cloth from HD that is suppose to drop the current weather by 15 degrees and just double layer it depending on how much sun it blocks out. I have a few mystery c.chinense starting to pod that look crazy. Hopefully everything works out at the farmers market and you everything get sorted, so that your successful your first time out.

You know as much as I love root pouches, I don't think I will pot up to anything smaller than a 10ga. They do great in those pots, but when the heat really hits you have to water too much in the smaller ones. And transplanting is a pain, I just potted up my 3ga Yellow Habalokia. Never again! lol. Tuff getting them out of those pots! I will just do 1 pot up from regular to a root pouch from now on. I need to check out that shade cloth at HD, I am definitely going to need it later this summer. I hope I can get it all squared away, but if not I will have a hell of a start for next year. Honestly I just want to make enough so I can continue staying home, and maybe buy myself a REAL greenhouse. haha. I actually wasn't planning on going back to work, but an aerospace company 2 miles from my house convinced me to work part time 3days/15/hrs/wk. So I am not giving up my career entirely yet. Looking forward to tasting all these different pods too, I wish I would have known years ago all these peppers exist, salsa wouldn't have been so boring! :P Take care Fernando.

Mellissa...you are a dirty, dirty girl....well what do you expect after all that gardening...wow, you my friend are out doing yourself. I know how it can be with little monsters running around trying to "help" with the gardening. My buddy has a 5 year old boy and. 2 year old daughter....it's like two little bi-polar midgets running around. One second they are happy, next second they are bawling, then they are quite.....for about three seconds...and then they are screaming bloody murder, while touching everything you tell them not too...I love it! Your garden....is an amazing accomplishment. I'd like to get my hands on your chiles....what I'm not a pervert, I just have a way with words that some would say is charming and charismatic...I will let you know when I find them..I know what you mean about the price on pods..I have paid it once and that was the last time...but he'll if people want to pay it, I'll sell it to them. You are right, this fall you will see a ridiculous reduction in cost, I think. At least in THP's market place. I'm sure the general public would never pay anything near that. Although habaneros are 7.99 a lb some places and they are being grown in mass quantities, so 30 for a lb of some of the more rare varieties isn't that far off. Well your garden is ridiculous, your neighbors have probably stopped talking to you by now (nice trick, I've been trying to get mine to stop talking to me but they keep poppin' up...I think tomorrow I will start planting hot pepper plants all over the place and see what happens. ;) but in all seriousness, your glog has just put mine to shame...you've broken my heart Mellisa......and replaced it with a chile pepper.

3/5 where you been man?! My log has been missing your witty and charming comments! :P With my full plate right now it's hard to browse and comment on everyone's log, I saw the plot at your buddies, looking good! And you really had me laughing with the kids comments, same ages as my girls and you explained them perfectly! LOL! Bi-polar midgets, haha!! I can't get anything accomplished but watering during the day, the longer we stay outside the less I actually get done! My 2yr old should have been a boy, she is one crazy kid at times, she will touch something you tell her not to over and over.....and over, until you actually stop her from doing it! Little monster! Lol. As for my chiles, I will share, I told you way back when I started the log that I needed some taste testers! ;) I will send you a sample box when I have a good variety ready. I get what you are saying on prices, people want something bad enough and can't grow it themselves, they will pay. A year ago I had no idea there were more than a handful of pepper varieties and now I want acres to grow them all! I bought a $20 box off Biscgolf last year, he threw in some Datils. WOW, they were delicious, that alone made me want to grow more and more peppers. If the general public knew how many great tasting peppers are out there, mild to super hot, and had the opportunity to buy some for a fair price I am sure they would. Orange habs from the market are great to add some heat, but the flavor isn't all that and at $8/lb nobody wants to buy them! I won't be able to eat all these myself, but I hope to bring them to people who otherwise would never get to taste these rarities! Some people just can't grow, that's where I step in. :) But I also don't want to price gouge them just because they are rare and I can grow. I have been in purchasing for 12 years, and as a buyer I could never have the sales mentality, I am just too honest! lol. Thanks for the kind words, the neighbors roll their eyes every time I bring a load of dirt home, must be loving the smell! lol. But I guarantee you when I have all kinds of peppers they will be knocking on my door to "borrow" a few for their salsas! haha! Take it easy 3/5!

Nice score on the fish and piquin! My fish peppers are loading up with pods! Every time I check them there are 4 or 5 more set...still having trouble with pod set om my piquins and tepins...think they may prefer a little less fertile soil than I have them in. I might put some of them in the ground this weekend and see it they do any better??? Think you're gonna love them both. Hope your fish variegates nicely for you, some don't get as crazy with it...or do it at all.

Looking great as always! Keep it up!
Shane

Thanks Shane, I was super happy to find both and at that price who needs to start seeds? :) I hope mine variegates for me, that is what made me want it so much. But if not I will just try to grow a few more from seed. The Piquin was something I wasn't too sure about starting, those tiny pods are a PIA to pick! But I started thinking about it and my mom buys these every december in dry form for her tamales. So why would I even think of NOT growing them??? lol. And everyone raves about their flavor, so it is a must have. I need to find a nice spot for it in the ground, I know these overwinter pretty easily like the manzanos with our climate.

Melissa

That front yard bed looks freakin' sweet Melissa! Still wish I had as much space as you. Plants are looking great!

Thanks Emon! I guess I should be happy with the amount of space I have, but I want acres! lol. Some day :)

ALABAMA JUMPER WORMS CAME TODAY!! OH YEA! PUTTING THESE GUYS TO WORK TONIGHT!! :D
IMG_3058.jpg

My 2yr old said ewwwww mommy snakes, I am gonna step em!! lol. Had to pull one out and show her it's just a long worm! Please don't step on mommy's precious and expensive worms! lol

NIce score on the worms Melissa. :party:

Tell your baby girl those are golden worms and if you hurt them momma can't buy you anymore toys :rofl:

Oh and your plants look perfect!!!

I dont know much about that, just looking in that bag brings out the country boy in me and want to go fishing.

:) very nice bag a worms you got there and your plants will love you all the more for the present.

RM

i love my worms!!

mine are very spoiled
lots of good stuff to eat!!
and free poo!!

i have lots of red wigglers they wiggle from all the coffee grounds i give them
LOL

thanks your friend Joe

How did I already reach my quota for positive votes??? lol

Thanks for stopping in Fernando! That plant looks similar to mine, the pods I have are just longer, but that could be because mine are a little older than yours and in the ground? The plants are trucking through the heat, so far not too many stressed from it. They definitely start to wilt during the hottest parts of the day, as soon as the area gets shaded they perk back up. My largest bed gets full sun almost all day, worried about them! Lol. Not even 100deg heat yet, really kicking myself for cutting so much of my tree down, the plants could have used the shade! Oh well, will have to buy some shade cloth I guess. So far no flower drops, thankfully, glad your wild brazil is pulling through. I just got some Pimenta De Neyde seeds, after looking at everyones pics of that I just HAVE to grow it! :)

A shot of my bed out front, these are by far my best in ground plants! They love that bed! I was almost thinking I can add a couple more in this bed, gave everything more than enough elbow room. :P I have my Alabama Jumper worms coming tomorrow, 1,000 of them. Going to put them to work ASAP, especially in my large bed! :D
IMG_3050.jpg

A Chocolate Bhut has emerged! :)
IMG_3053.jpg

I must be crazy buying plants when I have so many. Went to pick up some supplies for a friend yesterday and came across these, for $1 each. SCORE! I was thinking about starting seeds for these two varieties, now I don't need to! :D
IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

Hubby is home from work, time to get my butt outside and do some potting up! Happy Gardening everyone!

Very beautiful garden pics!

The worms look very healthy

Thanks Emon! I guess I should be happy with the amount of space I have, but I want acres! lol. Some day :)

ALABAMA JUMPER WORMS CAME TODAY!! OH YEA! PUTTING THESE GUYS TO WORK TONIGHT!! :D
IMG_3058.jpg

My 2yr old said ewwwww mommy snakes, I am gonna step em!! lol. Had to pull one out and show her it's just a long worm! Please don't step on mommy's precious and expensive worms! lol
MMMMM WORMS!!!

NIce score on the worms Melissa. :party:

Tell your baby girl those are golden worms and if you hurt them momma can't buy you anymore toys :rofl:

Oh and your plants look perfect!!!

Thanks Jamie, my baby girl is a stubborn little booger sometimes! But she got over the "ewwww" stage and actually held some worms, she now thinks they are just as cool as mamma does! :party:

I dont know much about that, just looking in that bag brings out the country boy in me and want to go fishing.

:) very nice bag a worms you got there and your plants will love you all the more for the present.

RM

RM I bet it does make you want to go fishing, from what I hear these are the best worms for fishing! I checked a few spots where I put them this morning, had to dig down some to find them! They are hard at work, love it! :D

i love my worms!!

mine are very spoiled
lots of good stuff to eat!!
and free poo!!

i have lots of red wigglers they wiggle from all the coffee grounds i give them
LOL

thanks your friend Joe

I love worms too Joe, I have very happy red wigglers in my compost piles. I really need to start drinking coffee to spoil them some more! Lol. These Allabama wigglers will be getting plenty of compost to eat this summer, I will make sure they are happy too! :D

Very beautiful garden pics!

The worms look very healthy

Thank you, and yes they are very healthy. It's crazy how they can literally jump out of your hands because they are so strong!

Woohooo! Aji Joe Chocolate Hand grenade!!
IMG_3059.jpg

Orange Thai
IMG_3060.jpg

Jimmy Nardello
IMG_3061.jpg

My gosh this Padron is BIG, when should I pick it?? Ready to fry it up with some olive oil and sea salt! :)
IMG_3062.jpg

A mystery in a 1ga pot loaded with flowers and developing pods.
IMG_3064.jpg

Another mystery in a 1ga pot, round and black. Pretty cool looking pepper!
IMG_3065.jpg

Beaver Dam with it's protector :)
IMG_3066.jpg

This 3ga Purple Bhut is loading up!
IMG_3067.jpg

A red hab in a 5ga pot, ridiculously healthy and thriving!
IMG_3069.jpg

First Santaka Asian to set!
IMG_3072.jpg

Woohooo! Aji Joe Chocolate Hand grenade!!
IMG_3059.jpg

That looks great, keep the pictures of that variety coming. I'm growing it myself also, but it doesn't have flowers yet. Looking forward too the podshape. When the pod of the Padron doesn't grow anymore you can harvest it, the longer you keep it on the plant the more hotter it becomes.

That looks great, keep the pictures of that variety coming. I'm growing it myself also, but it doesn't have flowers yet. Looking forward too the podshape. When the pod of the Padron doesn't grow anymore you can harvest it, the longer you keep it on the plant the more hotter it becomes.

Thanks meatfreak! I will keep the pics coming of that one for sure, very interested to see how the pods develop. :) And thanks for the info on the Padron, it has grown from last week, will leave it on as long as I can, the hotter the better!

i have 2 plants in my plot, however mine are way behind yours, there about 19 inches tall and the first set of leave have sun scald so i can expect that thos will fall of, it will grow new ones too

this is a first generation experament so ui dont even know if its viable, it was a cross between black hab and long choco hab, so its anyone guess what we will end up with, anyone who is growing the the CHOCO GRENADE let us know how they turn out and if they didnt stay crossed what parent did it favor

thanks your friend Joe

Back