• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Memorial Day (Two-Week) User-land BBQ Contest

There are no rules. It's a casual contest with a big prizes, and the winners will be determined by user polling over next weekend.

The prize box I'm providing will have items from:

Joyner's Hot Peppers
Texas Creek
Lucky Dog Hot Sauces
Dee Roo (SmokenFire)
Scotty O'Hotty
Pex Peppers
Walkerswood
Teeny Tiny Spice Co.
Meat Church
Defcon
Mild Bill's
Johnson Berry Farms
Zatarain's
Season With Spice

... so far.

I haven't poked around my Asian shelves, or the Cambro's of Modernist powders yet - but I'll be including stuff from there as well, if possible.

A prize box from JHP will be provided by Joyner's Hot Pepper Powders, thanks Chris.

A prize box from Texas Creek is forthcoming, TBD once we figure out how the voting will be organized. This prize can be donated to AnySoldier.

Just worked out a prize box from Lucky Dog Hot Sauce with Scott that will include the new Chipotle, a Dia Del Perro, and the Black label sauce (CONUS) (tctenten has sponsored this being available to an expat member if it ends up as such).

And also, a prize box from Pex Peppers that will include a pair of his sauces (CONUS).

* If you are a producer/vendor, or just looking to sponsor a prize box out of sheer benevolence, shoot me a PM and we'll get it in there ...

The more prizes the better, certainly.

JayT said:
Ok GM, I am going to try to give you a proper thank you, YOU choose what meal you want to see first out of that wok.

I don't have a meal in mind, but one technique I haven't begun to incorporate is velveting - if you've got that move, let's see it =) ...

It can be cornstarch, it can be sugar and baking soda (I think I've seen), and other concoctions ...

All I know is that when it's done right, the meat is awesome, and when the velveting is done wrong - it tastes like buffet food =( ...

JayT said:
Ok GM, I am going to try to give you a proper thank you, YOU choose what meal you want to see first out of that wok.

You have to use that wok like G would. Flip it upside down on a gas burner and turn it into a proper crepe maker for some chocolate crepes with Benton's bacon and 5 kinds of spices, duck fat the top, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and Searzall it until caramelized. Boom.

Wok oil

jayts_hot_dog_water.png

Ok first of all, I do not make crepes.  Second of all, I do not own a Searzall unless you count my propane torch, the blue one.  Nope, not gonna happen.  Velvetting, hmmm... if memory serves it is corn starch egg whites and rice vinegar no?

JayT said:
Ok first of all, I do not make crepes.  Second of all, I do not own a Searzall unless you count my propane torch, the blue one.  Nope, not gonna happen.  Velvetting, hmmm... if memory serves it is corn starch egg whites and rice vinegar no?

I haven't done it yet, but I believe it can be as simple as just a little cornstarch ...

The wok can go in the microwave silly.

*not really

*PMD

*haha

JayT said:
Believe it or not GM, I have cooked with a wok, I even have one!  Now I have a new one.

I just wanted you to know I hadn't washed off the coating they have on them to keep them from oxidizing or whatever in storage ...

Mine also has the coating ... because I used neither =/

I will be using it, though, now - it really requires the gas burner ...

The 0-100, no brakes cooking in the CI wok is just - different ...

Just use it on the gas grill.

Glass top, no place for a wok unless you just want to set it down and not move it which is not how you wok cook. You're in the doghouse if you even go to grab that handle lol. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Just use it on the gas grill.

Glass top, no place for a wok unless you just want to set it down and not move it which is not how you wok cook. You're in the doghouse if you even go to grab that handle lol. 

I took a shower and came back and and you guy's are there ... this ^ is what I envisioned.

Ann, while you are at it, I want you to figure out a price for me for one of each of your line, save the PE and the Southwest seasoning (GM just sent me one).  Hit me up with a PM, I want to place an order.

Back