• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mexican Food

Ok so here is a new thread dedicated towards traditional/authentic Mexican Food. Now i suppose this can be a fairly broad range, but hopefully it can also be for discussion and ideas for some more authentic flavoured dishes.

So this first dish that i have put together, I only have recently discovered. Went to a "Authentic Mexican" restaurant in the city, and this dish was on the menu. Sounded very interesting, a strange combination of flavours. but when tasted was brilliant.

POLLO EN MOLE POBLANO

After some discussion through the THP, a member was kind enough to send me some ingredients and guidance from half way across the world so that i could re-create this dish. CHEERS!!!!!

I now had all the ingredients and the vital Tequila, to quench my thirst as i was about to cook up a storm in the kitchen. Music blaring, stovetop smoking, oven heating, Ready to Rock

First of all, a shot of tequila!!

SDC11897.JPG

SDC11898.JPG

Whole chicken was cut up into sections, thrown in a big pot, covered with chicken broth, onion cutup and added, and a whole heap of garlic cloves thrown in for good measure. Let that simmer away

SDC11899.JPG

Next thing was to get the chilis and some tortillas crispy. In the oven they go.

Another shot of tequila

SDC11900.JPG

Toast some seeds and nuts in the pan

SDC11901.JPG

Once the chicken was done, strain, removed all bones and skin. Discard the onion and garlic, but kept the broth.

SDC11903.JPG

Nice and crisp

Another, Why not?

SDC11904.JPG

Removed the stems and seeds from the chilis

SDC11905.JPG

Placed all the chilis, tortillas and some other ingredients in the blender. Added some broth, then pureed to a nice consistency

SDC11906.JPG

Look at the color

SDC11908.JPG

Started to melt the butter and chocolate

SDC11907.JPG

Tequila!!! Things were really heating up

SDC11910.JPG

Yummm

SDC11912.JPG

While this was all going ahead, i thought i would try to make some Queso, hmmmm not sure if it really did work, but it did taste very good. Extra sharp cheddar and scovie powder

SDC11913.JPG

Now the puree sauce is combined with the choc butter mix and cooked

SDC11914.JPG

Chicken got thrown in the mix, nearly getting ready to plate up. By this stage the tequila may have started to have a little bit of an effect on me. By i was smiling from ear to ear

SDC11916.JPG

Some sort of Queso, little bit more Mac n Cheese style, and some Mole

SDC11918.JPG

Plating up, couple of tortillas, some queso and a fresh little salsa. All of this tasted great. Maybe a little more tequila as well

SDC11921.JPG

SDC11923.JPG

This mole tasted great, hopefully i have done the dish some justice either way. Was a really fun day, trying something new and look forward to some more authentic dishes that we can all try.
Definitely need to work on my queso skills.

SDC11924.JPG

SDC11926.JPG

Now that this was all done, had a full belly, it was time to have a drink.........

SDC11927.JPG

Scoville DeVille said:
I will gladly give you my recipe under one condition. You must promise to make it and post pictures of it here. Agreed? PM me your email addy, but give me a week or so, we are in the middle of moving.
No problem.

Booo double post of your Flog! Hey now don't make me sick 'zilla on ya!

Nice.

Husky those look perty dang guud!

I'd Chairman Mao the hell out of 'em.

Don't worry ifn' they ain't browned enough or too thick.

Keep on keepin' on with them tore tillah's.

texas blues said:
Don't worry ifn' they ain't browned enough or too thick.

:rofl: No one said too thick 'cept YOU, how passive aggressive of you :lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
Booo double post of your Flog! Hey now don't make me sick 'zilla on ya!

Lol sorry boss. :)

Scoville DeVille said:
Those are beautiful. I like mine a little more burnded but being fresh and home made. Oh yeah... GIT IN MY BELLY!!!!

Thank you sir.

texas blues said:
Poo on you pooky!

I don't mind thick.

I was being an ass and a tortilla critic.
I appreciate the feedback. :) Made a batch of 8 today. I think I will crank round 2 out tomorrow to practice.

BTW - those tacos were filled with shredded cheddar, slow roasted pork, Renfro's ghost salsa, sour cream, avocado and a squeeze of lime.  

Lot's of left over pork so I will be making another small batch of tortillas for lunch today.  I love working from home.  :)

Love the tortilla press. I'm going to need one of those. squashing the dough with a pan takes a while.

Question on the corn tortillas. When I have tried to make them before, they are rather dry and they crack fairly easy. Is that something I am doing wrong or is that the nature of homemade corn tortillas?

Jeff H said:
Love the tortilla press. I'm going to need one of those. squashing the dough with a pan takes a while.

Question on the corn tortillas. When I have tried to make them before, they are rather dry and they crack fairly easy. Is that something I am doing wrong or is that the nature of homemade corn tortillas?

Jeff I had the same experience.  I am sure the tortilla gods will impart their vast knowledge shortly... But my dough was a bit crumbly.  So I went all play-dough on it and squished into into the size ball I wanted.  I lined the top and bottom of the press with parchment paper and then pressed it.  After peeling the parchment off and ruining a couple of tortillas I got the hang of peeling and not ruining them.  The good thing, if you ruin one, just wad it back up into a ball and try again.  :)

Here is today's batch.  I little thinner and a little more color.  I would go darker next time as to not upset TB. ;)

gallery_8228_122_182147.jpg

For me the key to keeping the tortilla from being dry and crumbly is to use a bit of olive or canola oil. 

Even my whole wheat tortilla's come out goodern' hell!

You can also add hot stuff to the masa itself. In fact you can add just about any 'thang.

I smash mine in the press and if I want a little thinner I whip out the french pin and make a pass or two.

Smart!

texas blues said:
For me the key to keeping the tortilla from being dry and crumbly is to use a bit of olive or canola oil. 

Even my whole wheat tortilla's come out goodern' hell!

You can also add hot stuff to the masa itself. In fact you can add just about any 'thang.

I smash mine in the press and if I want a little thinner I whip out the french pin and make a pass or two.

Smart!

Thanks for the tip on the oil TB.

As for the heat stuff, my wife and I already discussed how the next batch will have a good helping of my "annuum blend" powder.

Booma said:
Ok so here is a new thread dedicated towards traditional/authentic Mexican Food. Now i suppose this can be a fairly broad range, but hopefully it can also be for discussion and ideas for some more authentic flavoured dishes.So this first dish that i have put together, I only have recently discovered. Went to a "Authentic Mexican" restaurant in the city, and this dish was on the menu. Sounded very interesting, a strange combination of flavours. but when tasted was brilliant.POLLO EN MOLE POBLANOAfter some discussion through the THP, a member was kind enough to send me some ingredients and guidance from half way across the world so that i could re-create this dish. CHEERS!!!!!I now had all the ingredients and the vital Tequila, to quench my thirst as i was about to cook up a storm in the kitchen. Music blaring, stovetop smoking, oven heating, Ready to RockFirst of all, a shot of tequila!!
attachicon.gif
SDC11897.JPG
attachicon.gif
SDC11898.JPGWhole chicken was cut up into sections, thrown in a big pot, covered with chicken broth, onion cutup and added, and a whole heap of garlic cloves thrown in for good measure. Let that simmer away
attachicon.gif
SDC11899.JPGNext thing was to get the chilis and some tortillas crispy. In the oven they go.Another shot of tequila
attachicon.gif
SDC11900.JPGToast some seeds and nuts in the pan
attachicon.gif
SDC11901.JPGOnce the chicken was done, strain, removed all bones and skin. Discard the onion and garlic, but kept the broth.
attachicon.gif
SDC11903.JPGNice and crispAnother, Why not?
attachicon.gif
SDC11904.JPGRemoved the stems and seeds from the chilis
attachicon.gif
SDC11905.JPGPlaced all the chilis, tortillas and some other ingredients in the blender. Added some broth, then pureed to a nice consistency
attachicon.gif
SDC11906.JPGLook at the color
attachicon.gif
SDC11908.JPGStarted to melt the butter and chocolate
attachicon.gif
SDC11907.JPGTequila!!! Things were really heating up
attachicon.gif
SDC11910.JPGYummm
attachicon.gif
SDC11912.JPGWhile this was all going ahead, i thought i would try to make some Queso, hmmmm not sure if it really did work, but it did taste very good. Extra sharp cheddar and scovie powder
attachicon.gif
SDC11913.JPGNow the puree sauce is combined with the choc butter mix and cooked
attachicon.gif
SDC11914.JPGChicken got thrown in the mix, nearly getting ready to plate up. By this stage the tequila may have started to have a little bit of an effect on me. By i was smiling from ear to ear
attachicon.gif
SDC11916.JPGSome sort of Queso, little bit more Mac n Cheese style, and some Mole
attachicon.gif
SDC11918.JPGPlating up, couple of tortillas, some queso and a fresh little salsa. All of this tasted great. Maybe a little more tequila as well
attachicon.gif
SDC11921.JPG
attachicon.gif
SDC11923.JPGThis mole tasted great, hopefully i have done the dish some justice either way. Was a really fun day, trying something new and look forward to some more authentic dishes that we can all try.Definitely need to work on my queso skills.
attachicon.gif
SDC11924.JPGhttp://thehotpepper.com/public/style_images/thpnew/attachicon.gifSDC11926.JPGNow that this was all done, had a full belly, it was time to have a drink.........http://thehotpepper.com/public/style_images/thpnew/attachicon.gifSDC11927.JPG
This one time, when Booma boiled meat too ...

Back