• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mexican Food

Ok so here is a new thread dedicated towards traditional/authentic Mexican Food. Now i suppose this can be a fairly broad range, but hopefully it can also be for discussion and ideas for some more authentic flavoured dishes.

So this first dish that i have put together, I only have recently discovered. Went to a "Authentic Mexican" restaurant in the city, and this dish was on the menu. Sounded very interesting, a strange combination of flavours. but when tasted was brilliant.

POLLO EN MOLE POBLANO

After some discussion through the THP, a member was kind enough to send me some ingredients and guidance from half way across the world so that i could re-create this dish. CHEERS!!!!!

I now had all the ingredients and the vital Tequila, to quench my thirst as i was about to cook up a storm in the kitchen. Music blaring, stovetop smoking, oven heating, Ready to Rock

First of all, a shot of tequila!!

SDC11897.JPG

SDC11898.JPG

Whole chicken was cut up into sections, thrown in a big pot, covered with chicken broth, onion cutup and added, and a whole heap of garlic cloves thrown in for good measure. Let that simmer away

SDC11899.JPG

Next thing was to get the chilis and some tortillas crispy. In the oven they go.

Another shot of tequila

SDC11900.JPG

Toast some seeds and nuts in the pan

SDC11901.JPG

Once the chicken was done, strain, removed all bones and skin. Discard the onion and garlic, but kept the broth.

SDC11903.JPG

Nice and crisp

Another, Why not?

SDC11904.JPG

Removed the stems and seeds from the chilis

SDC11905.JPG

Placed all the chilis, tortillas and some other ingredients in the blender. Added some broth, then pureed to a nice consistency

SDC11906.JPG

Look at the color

SDC11908.JPG

Started to melt the butter and chocolate

SDC11907.JPG

Tequila!!! Things were really heating up

SDC11910.JPG

Yummm

SDC11912.JPG

While this was all going ahead, i thought i would try to make some Queso, hmmmm not sure if it really did work, but it did taste very good. Extra sharp cheddar and scovie powder

SDC11913.JPG

Now the puree sauce is combined with the choc butter mix and cooked

SDC11914.JPG

Chicken got thrown in the mix, nearly getting ready to plate up. By this stage the tequila may have started to have a little bit of an effect on me. By i was smiling from ear to ear

SDC11916.JPG

Some sort of Queso, little bit more Mac n Cheese style, and some Mole

SDC11918.JPG

Plating up, couple of tortillas, some queso and a fresh little salsa. All of this tasted great. Maybe a little more tequila as well

SDC11921.JPG

SDC11923.JPG

This mole tasted great, hopefully i have done the dish some justice either way. Was a really fun day, trying something new and look forward to some more authentic dishes that we can all try.
Definitely need to work on my queso skills.

SDC11924.JPG

SDC11926.JPG

Now that this was all done, had a full belly, it was time to have a drink.........

SDC11927.JPG

Once again, killer grub!

JayT said:
Holy thread bump!  And no new pics.  WTF??

I unearthed it on the night I found buddy's taco sauce ...

I remembered that Booma and Scovie had talked mole and I was revealing some awesome stuff from a little while earlier than a lot of the people participating nowadays were around ...

Was the same night I pulled forward my canned tuna po boy ... I was bored and didn't know where to post having EOL'd my "creed" thread, LOL ....

Ironically, THP had come down on named threads for being somewhat anti-category ... and he's riding his broom again, today ... haha.

Not really anti-category, more "my own flog." Like I said when the time comes the new blog system will take care of this issue and not to change anything now so stop causing drama. Be more like Tom!!!

I'm accepting responsibility for having brought it back w/o new content? We're all waiting for our flog's ...

The only person creating drama today ...

Oh by named you mean authored I thought you meant like the Mexican one. Named foods. I gotcha. I'm not worried about those, those are popular here and people like them.

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh by named you mean authored I thought you meant like the Mexican one. Named foods. I gotcha. I'm not worried about those, those are popular here and people like them.

The user-centric flog/blog threads or area will be a great solution.

I like to be able to share more w/ people here than just the spicy stuff, but I also understand that it's somewhat diluting in a sense, and that there are folks who come here and don't want to wade through the non-spicinext to find their spicinext.

It's all good.

Why does the pork look like a side order? You really like lima beans! (Or whatever bean that is.)

Looks awesome. 

Nice looking Cochinita, lots of anchiote. Did it marinade in any citrus juices or anything? Curious on the process you used. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuKVqM-TWw8

I tried to follow this lovely lass' video. Im not great with spanish, but i think for the most part i understood what see was doing.

The sauce was 150g achiote paste, 1 cup sour orange juice (i used 50/50 mix of regular orange and lemon), nine cloves of garlic, 1/2 white onion, s&p.

I dont have a pressure cooker so i popped my pot into the oven, lid on, for 2 hours at 160C.

The Hot Pepper said:
Why does the pork look like a side order? You really like lima beans! (Or whatever bean that is.)

haha i do love my beans beans the musical fruit.

I really have nothing to compare how close the final results were.... ive never eaten the dish before. The achiote was quite rich so a little pork went a long way. If i can get my hands on some anatto seeds i may go that route next time.

Back