• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

I have a good feeling this log is going to be 40 pages plus--very nice.

LOL, You sure that you arent thinkin about Brandon's GLOG? You say 40 and I think Brandon, but maybe ill pull some tricks out of my sleeve.

But quick update,
b2419794.jpg

Things are movin. I have a few "special" ones that I am really hoping to pull through, the White 7 Pot, Yellow Brains, and Red Brains. So I am very stoked that the White 7 popped its head up and even though the others aren't highlighted, I can see them moving.

I will make another vid as soon as there is more to see. As most of you know I can talk through much of nothing, so I wont bore you without something to look at!

Thanks for readin
Matt

Whats up everyone? Things are definitely movin along pretty nicely. I haven't got the speed at which I was anticipating, however, it looks like a lot of these little guys are almost up. I planted a second round of seeds (SB7Js, Biker Billys, 2 Types of Cayenne, and some others), so hopefully that will round out my seed starts.

Like I said in the video, a couple of things are happening. First, I have about 3 seedlings that are coming up with a helmet on, full on helmet. I had a Bhut IC last week that had that problem and I couldn't get it off so I held a little memorial service for him and euthanized him. :sad: I had a douglah come up with one and I managed to save him. These last three look a bit difficult, but I try to apply pressure to the opposite sides of the shell in hopes that it will crack and I can remove it. We shall see if that works once they get up far enough to work with.

Second, both the Infinity and Yellow Brains don't look like they have moved much. I am really hoping they come up because those are some of the more interesting ones I was looking forward to growing. All 3 Red Brains are up, but the yellow and infinity havent yet. :pray: Hopin they come up in the next few days or I may replant.

Lastly, my TS Morouga blend looks a bit strange...
fc2ebb08.jpg

It is pretty freakin purple. All 3 of them turned that color. Also, my Scorpenaro and Yellow TS are showing that look but not full on. I harvested the Yellow TS myself, so I KNOW that they are at least from a yellow pod, and I dont think Brian had any purple plants last season... All the others look normal green (aside from the Maui Purple, which is understandably, Purple). Any Ideas???

I have a few that are showing their first set of true leaves which is pretty cool. Once I can get a well focused shot I will post a few snaps.

Lastly, Jamie sent me a great Winter Pkg:
a3830723.jpg

I tried the Aji Yellow and Tunisian Bakluti last night:

Excellent report and videos! I like how you are trying different stuff and reporting the results. The comparo of "Hoffman" vs. "Rapid Rooter" interesting, will be great to see the difference before you pot up. Do you plan to add any ferts at this early stage ?

Also can't wait to see Biker Billy kick into gear compared to the others. Should see some nice vertical growth against some of the C. Chinense.

Great review of the Aji Amarillo in the final vid. I'm expanding more into the "Aji" world this year after finding a great powder from the Aji Rojo. So the Amarillo is on my list, nice to get a preview.

The thought, planning, organization, equipment and documentation of your grow has been excellent--both here and the Tech Forum. thanks for sharing it all. It should get reallllly interesting in next couple of weeks.... :cool:

Hey Matt

Let me know if you get any yellow 7's to pop! My prop was rather cool the first week and a half so I'm expecting late germination for a lot of strains. Since we started on the same day I'm expecting your seeds to pop just a hair sooner than mine.

I had a couple helmet guys too this year. Luckily it looks like they're all gonna make it, they weasled their way out on their own. The brain strain that I had that couldn't shed the shell cracked out of it on its own to show three cotyledons. Not too shabby.

Good luck man

Holy hell dude! I haven't had a chance to check on much of anything with the way our weeks been up here and I'm trying to do some catch up, Just spent the last 15 watchin n reading all your updates, great stuff dude! I'm also enjoying the comparisons you got goin, I'll be interested to see the outcome of the RR vs Hoffmans.. If RR's are as good as your showing I might have to give them a shot next year. Congrats on the sprouts and progress so far. That morugablends color is pretty cool, and odd.. I too am wondering if the purple-ness of starts is normal, my regular TS morugas.. half are green and the other half are pretty purple... along with some other varieties. Should be interesting to see the outcome. Good to see your still doin chile test videos, great review man. I'm gonna have to put my bigboy helmet on this summer n do that myself I'm thinkin lol.

Btw dude, you almost got super lucky with our super intense "growlog of the year" competition we got goin :lol: I almost had to wave the white flag early in the game with our power outage situation over here lol.

I know this might be hard to swallow... just like warm aji juice all over the inside of your mouth.. But.. we already lost man..

Greg's gonna kill it. Hands down.
Chris has almost 20 replies and all he had to say was "This won't be boring"...
Once he starts posting pictures he's gonna pass us lika Ferrari on the autobahn.
Silver Surfers gonna make us look really stupid.
Patricks gonna kill it even if the hail lights his plants up again.
AJ would kill it without even posting pictures because he's the popular kid in school around here.
Wayrights gonna make us look like were in pepper preschool and he just graduated college.
We got lucky that JR is busy with his hotsauce company right now because he would also be making us look rather silly.
I almost forgot Johnny-GoOrganic (guru) And Mr. Brainstrain Cappy will also put us to shame.

Were gonna give it our best shot though!
:lol:

Brandon

Greg's gonna kill it. Hands down.
Chris has almost 20 replies and all he had to say was "This won't be boring"...
Once he starts posting pictures he's gonna pass us lika Ferrari on the autobahn.
Silver Surfers gonna make us look really stupid.
Patricks gonna kill it even if the hail lights his plants up again.
AJ would kill it without even posting pictures because he's the popular kid in school around here.
Wayrights gonna make us look like were in pepper preschool and he just graduated college.
We got lucky that JR is busy with his hotsauce company right now because he would also be making us look rather silly.
I almost forgot Johnny-GoOrganic (guru) And Mr. Brainstrain Cappy will also put us to shame.

Were gonna give it our best shot though!
:lol:

Brandon

What?.............Not!...........(Reminder,......put....Brandon.....on ...my...Xmas...list)

LOL............Greg

Do you plan to add any ferts at this early stage ?

Also can't wait to see Biker Billy kick into gear compared to the others. Should see some nice vertical growth against some of the C. Chinense.

Thanks for the comments SIL! As of right now I wanna wait until most of what is sprouted has started to show their first set of true leaves. I honestly aint too sure if I have to wait that long, but I figured it couldn't hurt to wait.

Your telling me about some growth! I cant wait to see some crazy fields of green that I only see in the threads of the greats!

Another excellent review Matt. Thanks for sharing your experience.
:cool:

Thanks Jamie, Couldn't have done it without you! Postin the Tunisian at the end of this reply...

Hey Matt

Let me know if you get any yellow 7's to pop! My prop was rather cool the first week and a half so I'm expecting late germination for a lot of strains. Since we started on the same day I'm expecting your seeds to pop just a hair sooner than mine.

I had a couple helmet guys too this year. Luckily it looks like they're all gonna make it, they weasled their way out on their own. The brain strain that I had that couldn't shed the shell cracked out of it on its own to show three cotyledons. Not too shabby.

Good luck man

Thanks Matt, I haven't had any of them sprout or even SHOW movement in the RR plugs. I got both those and the Douglahs from THSC, and the Douglahs are 3/3 (although I might have decapitated one trying to bend it back in the plug to help with the removal). Speaking of helmets, I tried the bend technique with some pretty good results, so far two are droppin the shell and one may need some surgery.

Holy hell dude! I haven't had a chance to check on much of anything with the way our weeks been up here and I'm trying to do some catch up, Just spent the last 15 watchin n reading all your updates, great stuff dude! I

Btw dude, you almost got super lucky with our super intense "growlog of the year" competition we got goin :lol: I almost had to wave the white flag early in the game with our power outage situation over here lol.

LOL! I don't have to outgun the Heavyweights, Just you :lol:

What?.............Not!...........(Reminder,......put....Brandon.....on ...my...Xmas...list)

LOL............Greg

Don't pretend like your GLOG aint goin in a Book!

Also, here is the vid of the Tunisian Baklouti. Not hot, although I thought it may have been building at the beginning. Long story short, great tasting pepper with a great uses.

http://youtu.be/995hTEQJNPk

Matt very informative and descriptive review as usual. Just a heads up this :halo: pepper. It is the fastest growing plant I have ever had. The first pods were triple the size of the one you had. I think I had pods in 60 days. Glad you liked it! :halo:

hey Matt, glad I checked this out again, and to see things moving a long nicely, I had 2 of your yellow T-scorps you sent me pop up (didn't have anything else pop up but that was my fault, I tried to have too much starting at once and had them in a heavy potting soil) but I will be doing another round of 15-20 more peppers in a few days

but as far as your purple leaves, I had that problem too, and at first it was mainly with just the Tepin and a few others, but in short, they don't need the amount of light you are giving them, if your at the full 600w you could easily take it down to 50% for now I would think.. but I had 1 of my chocolate bhuts that finally popped up last week turn a little purple.. and of course my "pretty purple peppers" are purple with streaks of green (even though the adult plant is suppose to have green leaves and purple peppers) but after asking around on here when that happened to me and my bio professor I checked with, it's all good and as long as they don't look like they are dying your fine, but you could turn down the light a little, or move that batch off to the side slightly so it doesn't get a direct blast of light..

and also I was curious since we are both growing in tents that are in cooler ambient areas (although after insulating my basement finally, I got the ambient temp to stay above 65, and in some areas 70.. although I need to put something to insulate the floor other than the thin carpet I have down, because the concrete sucks the heat from the bottom like crazy, despite the tent being insulated.. but you may not have this problem yet since you probably are not watering much at all, but I have been getting a lot of condensation in there, and I just noticed a few little spots with puddles in the corners where it is not as warm, you getting anything like that yet? I just wiped it up with a towel for now, but was wondering if you had any issues like that yet..

OH and last thing, I have been taking the buds that came up off of my Bulgarian Carrots lately, but so many are popping up I'm just going to let it go now, at least for a few of them.. but a few of my other Chinese varieties are flowering too now, (from the group of 15 that I started 2 weeks earlier than the other ones) but I will make sure to get a nice box of pods to you once I get more varieties growing!

Thanks again, and looking good!

-max

as far as your purple leaves, I had that problem too, and at first it was mainly with just the Tepin and a few others, but in short, they don't need the amount of light you are giving them, if your at the full 600w you could easily take it down to 50% for now I would think.

This happened to me last year. I had my 90W LED going on my seedlings and since I wasn't sure what the output would be on it I added a couple CFLs for good measure. The leaves started getting nice purple spots of suntan. Some of your babies might be getting one too.

As far as your TSMB with the full purple cotyledons are going Matt, perhaps you got the Satan's Strain? I've seen purpleish cotyledons on those guys.

Cheers

hey Matt, glad I checked this out again, and to see things moving a long nicely, I had 2 of your yellow T-scorps you sent me pop up

but in short, they don't need the amount of light you are giving them, if your at the full 600w you could easily take it down to 50% for now I would think...but after asking around on here when that happened to me and my bio professor I checked with, it's all good and as long as they don't look like they are dying your fine

I was curious since we are both growing in tents that are in cooler ambient areas but I have been getting a lot of condensation in there, and I just noticed a few little spots with puddles in the corners where it is not as warm, you getting anything like that yet? I just wiped it up with a towel for now, but was wondering if you had any issues like that yet.

Glad to see that you have some life and you were able to get your setup, set up...nothing? nothing? whatever... Those Yellow TS came from a pod that Justaguy sent. They were actually the first super I ever ate. If you are curious, I have a vid showing the pods. In regards to the lights, I am not too worried. I have a few different variates that are showing some purply leaves. Like you said, until they start to show signs of hurtin, I won't worry too much.

My tent is workin out great for me, the only real issue is keeping the temps down through this crazy hot winter! I swear, yesterday 42, today 72, F U Mother Nature! I guess the good news is once they start to get big enough, I can bring them outside to get some sun earlier in the year. But I have had to water quite a bit. The Rapid Rooter plugs are great, but some have a tough time retainin water. OR they get soaked. So right now I am trying to just let them go until the top of the plug tells me to water it. BUT I havent had any condensation issues and my garage isnt insulated and the tent is just on the ground. I will let you know if i have any issues.

Hey Matt, I dont know if they are the Satan Strain, but I would not be against it. I got the seeds from Judy, so we shall see how they turn out.

Real quick, here is a germ update. I am at like 90 or so percent of variety pops. The only ones that haven't popped so far are the Yellow Brain (although I see it inside the plug and it should be up in a day or two), the Infinity, Yellow 7, and the Tobago Seasoning. The second round includes the SB7Js, Biker Billys (which I can see are ALREADY SPROUTING), and the Cayennes. Those ARE NOT counted in the original numbers. But here is a quick look via Excel.

cc442f9f.jpg

8b5227a4.jpg

Lastly, I started pulling back on the lights today. I figured I have plenty of stuff up, and I want them to start growing. So I pulled back the lights 2 hours today, and I plan on every WED (for the next 3 weeks) I will pull the lights back an additional 2 hrs until I get to 18/6. I plan on starting to Fertilize this weekend. I know everything doesn't have its true leaves, but I am extremely diluting it, and I dont wanna move everything around, and I dont wanna restrict the ones that are already up. Unless anyone says it is a terrible idea I plan on diluting (1/3 reccommended per gallon, and then only using about an oz added to my gallon of water I use to water all the flats.

Thanks for reading!

Dude your way to organized for me... Jamie dropped off some of those Africans fresh when we were over in his neck of the woods. man they were good filled with cheese, well all 2 of them anyway. I have one out in full sun now, and a couple to follow in a day or 2. You'll love them... :beer:

ok well maybe once you get them into bigger pots and have more moisture held by the soil.. but who knows, and that is crazy how many have popped so fast, I need to get my second set going soon lol, and I have showed my dad your video/videos and he says that your obligated to show some pain, lol it's not natural.. I just hope I can get use to the heat come summer, had a chocolate hab today from Bakers peppers, and my stomach wasn't cool with it, although I had popped about 5 peppers in my stomach the night before, so I think I will have to give it a rest for a day or 2 :mouthonfire: :stop: , keep it up, and can't wait to see your plants in another 3 weeks, they should spring up like crazy

and yes this "winter" is crazy, it was 50 up here the other day, I had my windows down while driving just because it felt like spring.. it will be nice to get a huge head start this summer, assuming that it stays warm for the rest of this winter/spring

I know I just updated some shiznit, but I am a bit crazy. I decided (after I said I wasn't gonna) to move all the seedlings to one RR tray, and the seeds that still have to sprout to the other with the heat mat and dome. This way I can start to feed the seedlings this weekend without worrying about doing it too early.

Also, I think the light may be a bit much, at least at this stage, so I bumped it down to 75% or 450 watts. Gonna track it for the next day or two and see what happens. I know one thing, there are a ton of true leaves starting to show. I am pretty excited.

Good day sir. I was actually wondering where you purchased your grow tent. Trying to scout size & prices.

Loving the Glog and videos so far.

Thanks! I appreciate the support. But I got almost all of my stuff off of eBay. Great prices and most of the time free shipping. Here is the link to the growtent I got http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-x60-x84-MYLAR-HYDROPONICS-GROW-TENT-ROOM-5X5X7-FULL-HEIGHT-T007-/280793723302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41609c31a6 and here is a link to more sizes, prices, and types. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=grow+tent&_sacat=See-All-Categories Like I said, it is the same one that is sold on their websites, just on eBay you get free shipping.

nice Matt, that the decision I came to also as far as moving all the ones that had popped up already, just easier and less to worry about in the end.. and nice move on the light, they should show some better growth from the less stress I would think.. at least the ones with the purpleish leaves

I am going your route, just about to sell some old car parts and am going to get a 600w dimmable HID light.. and going to try one of those DIgiLux MH bulbs, that are suppose to put out an extra 15,000 lumens at 6,500k, so pretty excited.. also had one of the 7 pot barracapores pop up today.. so they are still going despite the bad starting soil I put them in lol

and AmatureGreenThumb.. this site has prices along the lines of the ones in ebay, and has free shipping also http://www.virtualsunhydroponics.com/Agricultural/nav/grow-lights/grow-tents.asp slightly different set up as far as vents go.. but good prices too.. just another option if your interested

Thanks! I appreciate the support. But I got almost all of my stuff off of eBay. Great prices and most of the time free shipping. Here is the link to the growtent I got http://www.ebay.com/...=item41609c31a6 and here is a link to more sizes, prices, and types. http://www.ebay.com/...-All-Categories Like I said, it is the same one that is sold on their websites, just on eBay you get free shipping.

Thank you very much.

nice Matt, that the decision I came to also as far as moving all the ones that had popped up already, just easier and less to worry about in the end.. and nice move on the light, they should show some better growth from the less stress I would think.. at least the ones with the purpleish leaves

I am going your route, just about to sell some old car parts and am going to get a 600w dimmable HID light.. and going to try one of those DIgiLux MH bulbs, that are suppose to put out an extra 15,000 lumens at 6,500k, so pretty excited.. also had one of the 7 pot barracapores pop up today.. so they are still going despite the bad starting soil I put them in lol

and AmatureGreenThumb.. this site has prices along the lines of the ones in ebay, and has free shipping also http://www.virtualsu.../grow-tents.asp slightly different set up as far as vents go.. but good prices too.. just another option if your interested

Awesome thank you I'll compare both.

I have to agree with Matt this site is just filled with a bunch of great people just there to help out, share and support each other. Thanks guys.

Back