• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

I like those charts Matt, that sure beats the hand writing and line drawing that I always end up doing

Greg

Wow! You have got to be one of the most enthusiastic chili growers on earth, meticulous, everything well though out, planned and executed.

Starter plugs are a great choice, wish I had a few..........thousand.lol

Vids are great, just wondering if the Aji yellow are the same as Aji Lemon or Aji Limon, I can't grow enough of the "limon's" my best sellers. I'm going to have to find some more seed.

Seen some of your other threads on the tent and bench build, great stuff. be interesting to see how things transpire for you. Good luck this year and I will be watching.

SC.

Vids are great, just wondering if the Aji yellow are the same as Aji Lemon or Aji Limon, I can't grow enough of the "limon's" my best sellers. I'm going to have to find some more seed.

SC.
thats what I was wondering as well, I have the lemons/"limons" as well, they look the same.. I would assume they are either the same or a slightly different strain or something like that

Matt you wouldn't happen to have a little bit of engineering blood in you?

I always start out with the best intentions of keeping meticulous records but it just never works out. :lol:

Matt you wouldn't happen to have a little bit of engineering blood in you?

I always start out with the best intentions of keeping meticulous records but it just never works out. :lol:

Oh god tell me about it. Goddamn engineering blood always has me super prepared but then procrastination and laziness usually force me to settle down to the easiest possible solution to a problem. But Matt seems really organized and thorough on his updates, so I love following his grow :)

I believe Aji Yellow is NOT the same as Aji Lemon but rather is the same as Aji Amarillo. (Amarillo = Yellow en espanol). I suppose I could be wrong though I haven't grown 'Aji Yellow'

And Matt- No dice on your Yellow 7's still? I'm wondering if the seeds were bunk this year or maybe they just have an insanely long germination time? I have had a couple of new seeds pop this weekend including my Douglahs and Red Bhuts but no Yellow 7's still going on 23 days! I'm holding out hope but I'm thinking of picking them up with some tweezers and trying to shake some life into them hahaha. I suppose that means I'm getting desperate since my Yellow supers haven't been going so well. I really wanted one to pop since I had only 1/4 of my Yellow Brain Strains sprout. Worse still a monster hangover and work this weekend made me fall asleep on my watering. The Yellow Brain took the biggest hit and its cotyledons are fried but I think it might still make it... very very tiny new growth is starting and the stem is still alive. Wish me luck I'll be following you.

The yellow 7s should be good, ate least the ones he gave me came up in normal potting soil, going to try them in Hoffman's seed starting mix at the end of the week, just drying out some seeds from the pods I got from Bakers Peppers, so I can get them in the ground by the weekend

also Matt when you dry out your seeds from pods, if the pepper isn't completely ripe (I had a chocolate Billy Boy Douglah x from Bakers Peppers) that had just started to turn brown but was still pretty unripe, and I pulled the seeds out and let them dry, they turned brownish pretty quick.. so are they dead or what.. just wondering what your expereince is with drying out seeds from peppers since you did that I think with the ones you gave me.. all the other seeds I had were from ripe pods and look white and good.. so my guess is that I am out of luck for a Billy Boy chocolate douglah x.. if that is the case then oh well.

Whats up everyone! I know, i know, I have been AWOL for a while. Well, to catch you guys up...things aint goin too well. Here are a few snaps. I am warning you, this is graphic. If you have a big meal in your bell, come back later...
2d3cb948.jpg

6e5afebd.jpg

8118f169.jpg

d0eef8f2.jpg

Alright, now that I have had a good cry...heres the low down. First, these are 3 weeks old. All of them. Not what one would expect for 3 week old seedlings. I gave them one light watering with an extremely diluted (like 1/9 or 1/18) fert when they started to show yellowing and stop growing. I hand water the plugs each night and bottom water the hoffmans when it is getting dry.

So with that being said, I have had pretty good germination and they grew about 1/2 an inch and stopped, dropped their cotys and even though true leaves are kinda sprouting, they are extremely small and seem to be moving backwards. Right now I think it may be the light. I am running a 600w MH and I think I am one of the few, at least at the seedling stage. I know it is supposed to be great, but it may be too much for the seedlings.

I planted a 72 cell flat on Monday (in prep for the death of everything else I planted) and I am hoping to fix the issue so when they start to pop in the next week or so I will actually get growth. I am thinking about picking up a T5 to see if that fixes the issues. I would love to say that I am not upset, but c'mon how would you feel. The only saving grace is the fact that I have another tray to try again. Honestly, these things grow in nature, right now nature is winning and I cant have that. I am gonna be forced to go out back and chop down a tree just to get even. But I will still lose on the inside... :lol:

I would love to say that I am not upset, but c'mon how would you feel. The only saving grace is the fact that I have another tray to try again. Honestly, these things grow in nature, right now nature is winning and I cant have that. I am gonna be forced to go out back and chop down a tree just to get even. But I will still lose on the inside... :lol:

lol, I know what you mean.. but that sucks man... and I agree, I definitely think it is the light.. I got my 600w HID in the other day and set it up... but most of my plants are either budding or are in the party cups and now are a few inches tall with a few sets of true leaves.. anddd I only have my HID light set to 450w with the DigiLux bulb I got... and I measured it with the light meter and it is plenty of light now(even at the far edges under the cover of the larger plants, they get 3-5000 lumens and it's pretty shaded there), I will only go to to the full 600w once I get the rest of them in 1 gallon pots and have to use the full 6x6 area.. and so far the plants seem to be doing excellent so I really think they don't need crazy amounts of light like I thought..

I also don't know if I would spend the money on the T5s unless you really want to blow some money, I have been reading a lot of threads on here lately where people using T5s and there plants are getting a lot of light where they are turning slightly purple and some burning a little.. I used 3-4 CFL lights and they worked excellent.. so I would either suggest those or if you really want something in a tube.. then get some T8s. but I would think the CFLs would be a little more cost efficient.. at least to get the plants a little bigger then stick them with the HID.. hope things go well!..

btw, I got one of your 7 pot barrakapores and 3 of the Naga x 7 pots up, and they are doing great.. I also planted 36 more seeds with some of yours along with others, hope things go well 2nd time around!

Man that SUCKS!!! So many variables? Could have been a fungus that spread around??? Too much/too little water..Too much/too little nutes??? Light??? No matter what the cause it is terrible...I'm gonna pour out a little fish fert to show respect for our fallen seedlings...
Good luck on the recovery tray...good on ya for posting. I got a few with some yellowing, and HATE having to post pics of them, makes me feel like a failure looking at some of the awesomeness going on in some of these grows..
Hang in there!
Shane

Max- I found a 4' 6 bulb Hydrofarm T5 for 150 on eBay new. I know it is more money, BUT I have spent too much already to give up. Also, I dont wanna just let em go to the wayside. I will look into the cfls.

Shane- My first post said "i WAS gonna post some snaps but dont wanna show you my failures", but I sucked it up and figured it would be good for others that may run into the same issues.

Heres the thing, each grower has to find something that works for them, and I am just chalking this up to that. I haven't found my niche yet. I didn't grow from seed last year, and my raised beds kinda failed as well. I refuse to give up and am willing to take the time, effort, and money in order to find out what works for me. Once I do, I will keep that for life and only THEN will I get pissed when shit like this happens....Until then, I will just try new things until I get these beeches to grow! NOW, onto more :cheers: I have to drown my sorrows.......:drunk:

You'll get it...I haven't grown from seed since I was a kid 13 or 14. That would have been '83 or '84??? I am trying to figure this crap out too! I usually just pick up the crappy leggy seedlings from wally world or HD and plug and play. Didn't realize that crazy grows like these even existed??? The closest I ever got to growing a super was an orange hab but I really didn't like the flavor back then (I tolerate them ok now)...I'm military and work gets in the way a lot, I got "Shore Duty" for the next 3 years...so now is the time!
You'll find the groove...hopefully I will too. Don't give up on those little dudes, some may surprise you yet!
Shane

Shore Duty...LOL! You are probably lovin that. I spent a few months on a LSD in 07 and wouldn't mind never stepping back on a ship for the rest of my career. I am gonna be soaking up sun, sand, and shiftwork next season in A-STAN, so I would love to get a few plants going this year cuz no growing for me next year.

Shore Duty...LOL! You are probably lovin that. I spent a few months on a LSD in 07 and wouldn't mind never stepping back on a ship for the rest of my career. I am gonna be soaking up sun, sand, and shiftwork next season in A-STAN, so I would love to get a few plants going this year cuz no growing for me next year.
Smuggle a few seeds and a cfl or two with you! You can make it happen! Even without the cfl...you'll be able to find a floro that'll work!

Lejeune? If so I made an amphibious landing there back in 98!

Hey Matt, really sorry I clicked on your glog this time.. I was wondering if I was seeing things when I saw the first picture.. That really sucks dude :( I'm sorry to see that. Good to see your in good spirits though. I just wanted to let ya know if you do go through with the T5s, Max hit it on the dot, being the guy that has 4 T5HO fixtures and is growing from seed for the first time, I have seen both of the problems he stated, But! there is a way to fix the problems (purple plants, and the burning) I went through both of them already this year.. So the thing you reallllllly need to know about HOT5s that I didn't? They don't like being super close to the lights. How Greg has his T8s 2inches away from the plants? Yeah.. You can't do that with T5's.. too much output and heat. I put mine about.... 4 inches from the tops after seeing Gregs set up as an experiment, Burned em a bit.. I caught it pretty early so I haven't seen too much damage but they did yellow a few of the varieties, I know it was the lights b/c the parts of the first leaves that were shaded (under another leaf) were still dark green.. I keep mine a good 8 inches away and everythings goin fine.. not super fast growth like T8s inches away but good enough for me. Purple plants? Yes That happens. I think the problem is people not using the right bulbs (like me) I was using red bulbs and had no idea, I had and still do have quite a bit of purple, I switched to blue bulbs and every bit of new growth is green.. Proof? One of my Bhuts..
IMG_1303.jpg

I took that picture a couple minutes ago just for you ;)
All the rest look just like that for the most part..
If you need any advice on T5s lemme know dude.. I'm no expert but have noticed the problems with them and know where to buy cheaper bulbs for em lol.. Good luck with the next flat. I'll be watchin man.

Brandon

Doesn't matter what temperature t5 bulbs you use. They will purple,and burn if hung too close. They will purple if not hung too close. I am no expert but I think they don't have enough surface area to get rid of heat. It is a nice light but it will not magically grow super plants. Patience and good sense outweigh lighting.

Brandon- no worries, I'll be back in the game before too long. I think I'm gonna go with a new setup to see if that does it. It is just that my light is dimmable and even on 50% it is scorching the new growth and it is like 3 feet away. I know that it can really be a great light source, but maybe it will just be better to get em going under some flouros before I use the MH. Or maybe I just leave em under the flouros until I plant out in May. Either way, just still trying to find out what works for me.

Prod- I know what you mean. I know that there isn't a super light, I have just been patient and went through different "fixes" to see if that would do it. Right now I am leaning heavily toward the light source being the issue. If that doesn't do it, then back here to the pros to try something new. If anything, this may help someone in the same boat as me.

That is the plug drying. I hand water them and thy dry a bit before I get back to it. They were new when I got em.

Max- I found a 4' 6 bulb Hydrofarm T5 for 150 on eBay new. I know it is more money, BUT I have spent too much already to give up. Also, I dont wanna just let em go to the wayside. I will look into the cfls.

yeah I know what you mean, and that is actually a pretty good price for the T5s, would still need to unscrew some for a while, but if you are set on that (which if your like me, it might be overkill but as long as I can adjust it, like unscrewing a few lights, its worth it and it is hard to change your mind to anything else until you try it your way lol) I actually just remembered about your temp issue, when I had my CFLs I had them in the kitchen in front of the window so I can get some extra light here and there when I need to.. but mainly because of the temperature.. the T5s will keep it warmer in there which is good so you don't have to run your heater as much.

with that said and what BigCedar was saying, I even noticed someone on here that had their T5s a good foot or so above the plants and a few of them started getting purple and frying.. that person also had the temps up a little to high (around 86-88, instead of 83-85 or so..) and he had.. I think 4 bulbs in.. not sure.. but I would just stick them in there if you go with the T5s and watch them.. and start out with 4 bulbs... I also really recommend getting that light meter that I posted before on one of the threads (I think your garage one).. for $15 you can't beat it.. it will show you how much light your actually getting to those things.. and I noticed for seedlings.. 4-5k lumens was great.. I had more from my CFLs.. around 10,000 lumens. but like I said that was with CFLs.. I'd bet you were getting a lot more than you think to yours.. but hopefully that other set of seeds starts popping up soon

Back