• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MoA Jamaican scotch bonnets....

so...as a few of you know that when i came on here.. one of my mission was to be able to acquire some pods and or seeds of JAMAICAN SCOTCH BONNETs.... others came along to help me with seeds (smokemaster, midwestchilihead, jamison and GreenTea) but i had a hard time growing them due to various reasons.it was my first grow..

so anyways.. along came a guy name Steve954 who introduced us to the MoA (ministry of agriculture) Jamaican scotch bonnets...

again i am truly humbled and glad i am able to grow this pepper

got a couple germing in jiffy pucks.. and a couple in my aerogarden....
A8C9E3BC-3294-470E-8F73-B5DBE99692B2-2331-00000120D12149FF_zps98c86893.jpg

please feel free to post comment.. especially those who was honored to get these seeds....

and without further a do!!.. let us start a progress chart on this MoA Scotch bonnet pepper!!

FayahBen ... the tune on the first video is "Here Comes The Hotstepper " by Ini Zamoze . At least that's what I'm hearing ...

It will fun to see the fruits of everyone's labor this year ,

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Steve those are looking great ! How far apart are those plants ? Looks like about 3' or so . Any reason for that ? Because they are off on their own I understand that , less chance of cross pollination .

Peace,
P.Dreadie

I've been wondering what a MOA Scotch Bonnet was. Now I know. It would be interesting for someone to grow all the
yellow scotch bonnets, and see which one was the best.

Pic 1 ... to me they looked far apart too. Like you I'd stick one in da middle ... but Steve knows what he's doing and what he wants. So nuff respect there.

Myself I grow in tall raised beds. 2 1/2' or so above ground level ... and the soil below was tilled good before I made the beds. I filled the beds with a proper grade ( for mi area ) of potting soil when I started them. I grow inna' kind of style like "Square Foot Gardening ". I feel I can grow plants closer because of all the loose soil the roots get to expand in. I could be wrong ... I have been wrong more than once in me life . But I feel my style works for me.

I'm putting in some new raised beds made outta' wood instead of concrete . Less work and I can take them apart if wanted. These will be 22'' above ground. That is darn deep as I see it....

roper2008 .... many of us are growing different Yellow Scotch Bonnet strains . For me it's the hope to find one or two that I like more than the others. Then stick with those. Maybe play with a hybrid after that. Scotch Bonnets are mi favorite peppers. PERIOD ..... work the best for what I cook. I'd love to free up space and stop hunting for the best tasting and producing Bonnet strain. For me it would make me life easier ..... Also what you see as the best tasting strain may not be the same as my view. So it's cool to me that people are working with different strain.

Peace

I too have a couple beds 2ft tall, in an easement area that's low. I started out with 2" x 12" cedar (4' x 12') the following year I added another layer of 2" x 12". I probably have a foot deep of cedar chips throughtout the walking perimeter......lol. A few other beds that are 18" deep (cedar 5/4 decking)...a bit cheaper on the wallet. The main brunt of the peppers are grown in 18 gal utility containers (app 80), also some 20 gallon and many 15 and 12 gal nursery containers. Although the biggest plants come from inground that I have elsewhere. I'm hoping on having 30+ Bonnet plants of different varieties. I stepped up the Bahamian Goat #'s, they're tasty........and thats what its all about...

Dang Pic 1 ... if I'm getting this right you grow your peppers in what I grow my tomatoes in. I think mine ( tomatoes ) may have been 17 gallons ... what's gallon more or less. I can say for sure that the area each pepper plant gets in my raised beds has to be way less...... Thanks ... I'll watch your posts .... ponder if I should mine a little more space in my beds ...

Thanks guys!

The south side MoA patch is where I had my 4' TFMs and Peppermania scotch bonnets from last years grow. They were spaced out 2' by 2' and got a bit crowded. This time with the MoA bonnets I spaced them 3' by 2' to make harvesting easier.

009_zpsb0df244d.jpg

Looks like this pod is forming MoA proper! Compared to pictures taken at the Ministry of Agriculture
001_zpsf48d232f.jpg

012_zpsa95f7f7c.jpg

4 sections, 4 lobes
002_zpsa2ae1a30.jpg

011_zps2b1b86b2.jpg

That right there is pretty exciting!

Judging by the 6" fence boards the plants almost have 4' spacing. I'd drop one more plant in the middle.

Man Greg, I sometimes notice you'll answer a question or bring something up that makes it obvious you can glean a lot more from a picture than I tend to. Not just the spacing of the plants here, but last year you correctly diagnosed the direction my garden was facing and the amount of sun it received just by looking at a picture... I'm impressed! You're like a gardening wizardy genius!

Back