• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Musky's Mojo (flog)

What da heck... why not?

And what better way to start a flog than smokin' somethin'?

I ran across some chicken thighs on sale for $0.77/lb, and it was a nice day, so I decided to do it up. 10 plump thighs came to 4 bucks even. Not bad!

Here they are all rubbed up with a sweet and spicy concoction and ready to go...

My trusty old smoker doin' it's thang...

Halfway through the smoke, and startin' to look good...

Annnndd.... done!

It came out super juicy and dee-licious..

Where are the side dishes you ask?

Side dishes? SIDE dishes??? WE DON'T NEEEED NO STINKIN' SIDE DISHES!!!

Fanger lickin' good!

:beer:

You may be slacking on the posting but that meal ain't no slouch.
That walleye is done right!
Nothing better than a shore lunch with fish and taters and onions on the side.

St. Louis style ribs after a couple hours of pecan smoke. Tips on the top shelf.

I used the 3-2-1 method. This is after being brushed with a mixture of cherry jelly, maple syrup, bacon fat, and cider vinegar. Then wrapped in foil and back into the smoker for 2 hours.

And this is the finished product after another sprinkle of rub and cooking for an hour without foil.

Rib tips...

I'm not sure which I would have more.  I would have to say that walleye made that way is maybe my favorite fish ever, but then those ribs are perfect too.

Last night was steak night. I did up some porterhouses seasoned with ghost pepper salt and black pepper, sautéed shrooms and onions, and grilled eggplant from the garden. It was just the wife and I, but I was feeling a bit gluttonous so I cooked 3 steaks.

The second one was even better than the first one.

Yes, I ate two whole porterhouses, and chewed the bones like a ravenous dog.

Don't judge me.

Niiiiiice pink there, mm! And I'm kind of jealous of the eggplant. My round mauve has recovered from the hit it took earlier, but no fruit yet. 

geeme said:
Niiiiiice pink there, mm! And I'm kind of jealous of the eggplant. My round mauve has recovered from the hit it took earlier, but no fruit yet. 

Thanks. Anything more than medium rare is pure blasphemy when it comes to steak.

I grew Round Mauve for the first (and only) time last year. I only got one decent fruit all season. This is Little Finger eggplant. I've been growing it for years, and always have more than we can use. It's great grilled for just a couple minutes (like above). Give it a try if you haven't already.

Thanks for the tip on the eggplant. The round mauve has put out a couple flowers, but nada yet. I suspect this will also be a one-time plant for me. How many of the little finger plants do you have?

texas blues said:

What I really wanna' see you smoke up is some fish.

Walleye or northern pike or whitefish!

It's not walleye, pike, or whitefish, but how about some Maple Brown Sugar Smoked Lake Trout?

I caught this one last month at Highwind Lake in NW Ontario.

Here it is in the smoker...

This is the finished product

Oh yeah! That's the stuff!

Back