• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

New Mexican Food

I figured I would create a thread for New Mexican food. Please share your delicious New Mexican dishes and recipes here.

I'll start this off with a classic southern NM dish. Chile con carne.

You don't need many ingredients, but good roasted hatch green chile is a requirement. I used about 20 roasted big jims for this. De seed the chiles, remove the stems, then roughly chop them. Cube up your beef, rough chop an onion, and a couple of cloves of garlic. Throw all that goodness in a crock pot for about 5 hours on low, and serve once tender with some refried beans and a tortilla. I also like to serve a fried egg with it, but it's not necessary. Simple and delicious!

Attachments

• 20160119_143201.jpg
    20160119_143201.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 20160119_215437.jpg
    20160119_215437.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 133
SmokenFire said:
Dude those tamales....

Delectable.  One of my favorite dishes.  A lot of work if you're only making a few though, so I usually make like 40 - 50 at a time and freeze the ones not devoured in the first go round.  

<3 this thread!   :)
I agree, it's always best to make tamales in bulk. The leftovers microwave extremely well. I ate the rest of these for breakfast, plus shared some with my staff after a meeting this morning.

Huevos Rancheros

This is a classic New Mexican breakfast, that only requires a few simple ingredients.

NM Red Chile Sauce
Roasted and Peeled Hatch Green Chile
Eggs
Cheese
Tortillas
Beans

Fry up the eggs. Lay two tortillas on a plate, then put the fried eggs on them. Add your cooked beans to the side of the eggs, then cover the eggs and tortillas with NM red chile sauce. Rough chop the green chile, and place them on the side of the eggs. Cover the whole plate with shredded cheese, throw it in the oven to melt the cheese. A minute or two at 400 usually does the trick. Once the cheese is melted, dig in!

Attachments

• 20160417_120530.jpg
    20160417_120530.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20160417_124240.jpg
    20160417_124240.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 66
Green Chile Stew With Sopapillas

Chicken Stock

1 whole chicken
1 Onion
4 bay leaves
5 cloves of garlic
One head of celery stalks
15 small carrots
1 Tbsp of Marjoram

I'm sure you know how to make chicken stock, but just in case, here is a quick recipe. Boil the chicken with the chopped up onion, whole smashed garlic cloves, bay leaves, chopped celery stocks, carrots, and marjoram. Once the chicken is fully cooked, and easily comes off the bones, remove it from the pot, reserving the liquid. take all of the meat off of it, and save it. This recipe does not call for any chicken meat, so save the chicken meat for a future recipe. Throw the rest of the carcass and bones of the chicken back into the pot with the reserved liquid and veggies, and continue to boil for another hour or so, adding a cup of water occassionally to account for evaporation. Strain the veggies, bones, etc., reserving only the liquid. Put this liquid into the fridge to let it chill. Once the liquid has chilled, skim off all of the fat on top.

Green Chile Stew

2lbs of Pork Loin
25+ Roasted Hatch Green Chiles
6-7 medium sized potatoes
1 onion
Chicken Stock

Cube up the pork loin into bite sized pieces. Peel and cube up the potatoes into bite sized pieces. Peel the skin off of the green chiles, de seed, and de stem them. Don't skimp on the green chile! Put a tablespoon of oil into the pot you are going to make the stew in, and brown the pork cubes on all sides. Remove the pork cubes from the pot, leaving in any juice and fat. Dice up an onion, and cook it in the pot with all of the pork juices and fat. Cook the onions until they become transparent. Add your chicken stock to the pot at this point, then add back in the browned pork. Brint to a boil, then, reduce heat til it is simmering, but not a raging boil. Cook the pork for 20 minutes, then chop your green chile, and add it to the pot. Add your cubed potatoes, salt to taste, and cook the potatoes until they are done. Remove the pot from the stove and allow it to cool down for 15 minutes or so before serving.

Sopapillas

4 cups of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
5 Tbsp of lard
1 tsp of salt
1.5 cups of water

Mix up the flour, baking powder, lard, salt, and water, until it is perfectly mixed. Roll this into a ball, and put it onto a floured surface. Roll this out to about 1/8 inch thick, then cut out triangle shapes. Deep fry this in oil, flipping them once one side is golden, then cook the other side til it is golden. The sopapillas will puff up while you cook them. Once all of your sopapillas are cooked, lay them on a tray to cool.

Sopapillas are by far my favorite way to soak up the delicious broth from this stew. Nothing quite beats some green chile stew with fresh sopapillas! My wife calls it New Mexican soul food.

Also, make sure to drizzle some honey on a few sopapillas for dessert, it's amazingly delicious

Attachments

• 20160501_123409.jpg
    20160501_123409.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160501_163554.jpg
    20160501_163554.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20160501_181052.jpg
    20160501_181052.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160501_184109.jpg
    20160501_184109.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_2016-05-02-11-01-18.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-02-11-01-18.png
    558.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_2016-05-02-11-01-32.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-02-11-01-32.png
    623.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20160501_200428.jpg
    20160501_200428.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_2016-05-02-11-01-39.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-02-11-01-39.png
    537 KB · Views: 56
grantmichaels said:
Yum. That looks great!
Thanks man, it was really good! Simple, but the ingredients always shine through on this recipe. It's imperative to start with fresh chicken stock though, because the store bought stuff just doesn't cut it. Leftovers are always on point as well.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Green Chile Stew With Sopapillas
Chicken Stock
1 whole chicken
1 Onion
4 bay leaves
5 cloves of garlic
One head of celery stalks
15 small carrots
1 Tbsp of Marjoram
I'm sure you know how to make chicken stock, but just in case, here is a quick recipe. Boil the chicken with the chopped up onion, whole smashed garlic cloves, bay leaves, chopped celery stocks, carrots, and marjoram. Once the chicken is fully cooked, and easily comes off the bones, remove it from the pot, reserving the liquid. take all of the meat off of it, and save it. This recipe does not call for any chicken meat, so save the chicken meat for a future recipe. Throw the rest of the carcass and bones of the chicken back into the pot with the reserved liquid and veggies, and continue to boil for another hour or so, adding a cup of water occassionally to account for evaporation. Strain the veggies, bones, etc., reserving only the liquid. Put this liquid into the fridge to let it chill. Once the liquid has chilled, skim off all of the fat on top.
Green Chile Stew
2lbs of Pork Loin
25+ Roasted Hatch Green Chiles
6-7 medium sized potatoes
1 onion
Chicken Stock
Cube up the pork loin into bite sized pieces. Peel and cube up the potatoes into bite sized pieces. Peel the skin off of the green chiles, de seed, and de stem them. Don't skimp on the green chile! Put a tablespoon of oil into the pot you are going to make the stew in, and brown the pork cubes on all sides. Remove the pork cubes from the pot, leaving in any juice and fat. Dice up an onion, and cook it in the pot with all of the pork juices and fat. Cook the onions until they become transparent. Add your chicken stock to the pot at this point, then add back in the browned pork. Brint to a boil, then, reduce heat til it is simmering, but not a raging boil. Cook the pork for 20 minutes, then chop your green chile, and add it to the pot. Add your cubed potatoes, salt to taste, and cook the potatoes until they are done. Remove the pot from the stove and allow it to cool down for 15 minutes or so before serving.
Sopapillas
4 cups of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
5 Tbsp of lard
1 tsp of salt
1.5 cups of water
Mix up the flour, baking powder, lard, salt, and water, until it is perfectly mixed. Roll this into a ball, and put it onto a floured surface. Roll this out to about 1/8 inch thick, then cut out triangle shapes. Deep fry this in oil, flipping them once one side is golden, then cook the other side til it is golden. The sopapillas will puff up while you cook them. Once all of your sopapillas are cooked, lay them on a tray to cool.
Sopapillas are by far my favorite way to soak up the delicious broth from this stew. Nothing quite beats some green chile stew with fresh sopapillas! My wife calls it New Mexican soul food.
Also, make sure to drizzle some honey on a few sopapillas for dessert, it's amazingly delicious
Thats a great recipe. I'm going to try and make one of your meals this week.

Thanks again

justcurious said:
We're going to Albuquerque on the weekend, we're looking for a place that serves carne adobada sopapillas, any place of your recommendation?

Thanks!
@thegreenchilemonster
Go to El Patio de Albuquerque on Harvard near the UNM campus. Order the carne adovada plate. It comes with a fresh cooked sopapilla. The food there is always on point.

Grass Snake said:
I just made your Carne Adovada recipe and its gonna be the bomb. I have it in the fridge ready to cook tomorrow. The recipe said 1/2 table spoon of coriander and it appears you were using whole seeds but I had it ground so I put a little less than a teaspoon. Tasted good. Thanks for sharing with us.
Nice man! I'm glad you are giving this recipe a go. It's really good.

Back