• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking New to smoking 2

Looking good as always! Small butts, but done right.

Just getting ready, close to 50 pounds of this gorgeous meaty goodness

So the plan is:

Brisket
Pork Ribs
Chickens

then some Slaw, salad, poppers

That should do it

IMG_0431.JPG

"It's a lot of meat!"
You may want to have a friend over.  :lol:

HopsNBarley said:
Here we go!
Are those full packer briskets?
I think so, getting used too all the terms/names etc, but it is brisket with the flat and point, with most of the fat still attached. Will need quite a trim to start with

Sweet! 
Yep that is the packer... both the flat and the point. 
Be careful not to trim too much off.  The flavor is in the fat!
I'd leave ~ 1/4" (or 6-7 mm) for the fat cap.
Get rid of the big hard lug of fat on the side by the flat if the butcher left it on.  Just take your knife and carve it out of there.
Also a good idea to mark the brisket for cutting after it's finished.  Determine the direction of the grain and cut a small notch against the grain off the end of it (an inch or so).  This will show you how to cut when the meat is finished.  It's hard to tell after the bark is all set in.
Slice it the wrong way and you'll have a huge slab of beef jerky.

HopsNBarley said:
Slice it the wrong way and you'll have a huge slab of beef jerky.

Tru dat! Especially with brisket since it is technically the chest muscle.

Slaw? Poppers? Brisket?

Sheeit Boom.

You had me a slaw.

I know how you roll.

I don't recollect you ever posting any 'thang UN-AWSOME.

Any chance of some burnt ends?

No worries if not.

I'd Chairman Mao any'thang you cook.

Stinkin' Aussie's.

The smoke ring on that brisket is amazing!!! Apple cider vinegar is porks best friend. I spray my ribs with it every 30 min or so. 

Another great meat to try is good ol whole pork belly. Smoke it for a few hours, wrap it in foil and bake low heat in the oven for a few more. Finish it off either back on the grill or broiler high heat so some of the fat renders down. If you get skin on pork belly you can slice it up and drop it in the deep fryer for crispy pork pieces. Drop that in your chili, baked beans or an a nice sandwich. 

Nice grillin Booma! and that stick burner is a nice set up too. 

Question: Where did you get that pizza oven!? I have been looking for one on wheels like that. I found some kits but they were rather pricey for something you have to build. 

I dont believe it was your first time lol. Nice looking food man! I usually only smoke beef roasts, pork roasts, and whole chickens. I'm still trying to get the hang of ribs. I've only cooked them a handful of times.The other 3 I have on lock down. I've had limited access to woods in my area. Its not the easiest place to find a huge variety. I got lucky and my neighbor scored a large trash can full worth of apple and gave me a bunch last summer. Unfortunately this summer all I could find was apple chips.

texas blues said:

I'd Chairman Mao any'thang you cook.

Stinkin' Hippys'

FIFY we give you some burnt ends

Sneaky6 said:

Question: Where did you get that pizza oven!? I have been looking for one on wheels like that. I found some kits but they were rather pricey for something you have to build. 

Perth, Western Australia, was a kit, but the stand itself i had built and a steel fabrication shop, to my specs.

I would looking at possibly Forno Bravo pizza ovens, little closer to your side of the world, nearly ordered one myself

Jsamp said:
I dont believe it was your first time lol. Nice looking food man! I usually only smoke beef roasts, pork roasts, and whole chickens. I'm still trying to get the hang of ribs. I've only cooked them a handful of times.The other 3 I have on lock down. I've had limited access to woods in my area. Its not the easiest place to find a huge variety. I got lucky and my neighbor scored a large trash can full worth of apple and gave me a bunch last summer. Unfortunately this summer all I could find was apple chips.

Haha, nope definitely first time, other than the once i have cooked brisket, i have only ever eaten it 2 other times.

Australia is only quite recently really catching onto the Low and Slow way of cooking, also using different cuts of meats. The amount of trouble i have to find decent meaty ribs, pork shoulders, brisket, GEEEEZZZ the headaches.... anyway

Amazing job on the meats Booma!!  I lived in Woomera, SA for a bit.  I miss some Strongbow Sweet to drink, marinate and put in my Cider Spray.

Alright trimming up Brisket No.2 for tomorrow, if it fails at all, i've got 3 more waitting to go, looks like i'll be eating Beef quite a lot the next few weeks

DSCF1361.JPG

Trimmed

Hows it look?? All notes taken and necessary for myself.

DSCF1364.JPG

Cutting against the grain?

DSCF1364 - Copy.JPG

Left is your flat. Right is your point, or deckle.

Most pitmasters will keep the fat cap side DOWN. Some say up as the fat melts and flavors the meat but this is not true, it runs off. The truth is fat side down protects the meat and keeps it juicy.

You will find both ways, but most skilled pitmasters do fat cap down.

Yes, your grain is just what you think, the lines. So cut against the lines. You can cheat and not be exactly perpendicular, for uniform slices, as in you can go a little diagonal, as long as you are slicing through the grain, and not with it. With it, you are not breaking the fibers.

Your arrows are against the grain.

Back