• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest New Year's TD Ideas

Ah... I see. I've done a thorough analysis and have arrived at a conclusive diagnosis: your cranial synapses are firing in reverse.

Something "landing" implies that it was moving. However, days do not move. If you look at the calendar today, January 6 is on a Friday. If you look at the calendar tomorrow, January 6 will still be on the same Friday. Therefore, January 6 is not moving, and, henceforth, it cannot land. What does move, however (and, therefore, is able to land), is the monthly Throwdown, and the monthly Throwdown lands on the first Friday of every month, unless, of course, the honorable THP declares an exception. It's elementary, my dear wheebz, elementary.....

Now take two beers and call us in the morning! :beer:

Seconded... just take a look at the pizza thread.

SoFlo OWNED.
maybe, but I bet VeganRay and ChileJuju could give you a run for the money~

I got one

how about burgers to keep it simple, but you have to use the theme from a previous throwdown as the theme for your burger

i.e. thanksgiving burger, mexican burger, 5 dollar burger, asian burger, hot dog burger, and the challenging "favorite thing I ever ate" burger

i mean lets face it, everyone likes burgers, whether there is meat in there or not

i mean lets face it, everyone likes burgers, whether there is meat in there or not
Meh - I can take them or leave them, but mostly Ieave them. And even when I do eat them, I usually only eat half (to go with half a beer ;) ), then just eat the rest of the meat out of the middle, if it's a decent burger.

Besides,
hotdog man needs to go down!

***** PIZZA *****

I can give you a no-knead crust recipe if the hassle of making crust seems daunting, or you can just look up no knead pizza crust on the internet.

In a mixing bowl, stir together with a sturdy spoon 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon instant, fast-rising, or bread machine yeast. Stir in 1-1/2 cups ice water*, then stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge from 3 to 10 hours. Then take it out of the fridge and put it on the counter in a cool room for 4 to 12 hours. Stir it down, then cut the dough in half with oiled kitchen shears, and put half onto an 11 or 12 inch pizza pan. Spread it out with your fingers, then add whatever fillings you want.

All you dirty is a bowl, a spoon, measuring spoons and whatever pan and such you would mess for any pizza, anyway. No biggie.

*Ice water - If you keep water in the fridge, this works. Otherwise, measure out your water then add some ice cubes to it while you're getting the dry ingredients together. Remove the ice cubes and re-measure the water before using.

You'll note the time ranges are rather large - this recipe is about convenience. I started some bread dough (also no-knead) yesterday after getting home from the office. Put it in the fridge then went to bed. This morning, got it out and put it on the counter. This is about the easiest, no-fuss method of making almost any yeast dough you want. With the above recipe, you can put the dough back in the fridge for up to another 12 hours, if you want. You can also freeze either or both halves to use later, up to 1 month.

I haven't made homemade pizza in over a year......(STILL have the heartburn to prove it)

....sounds like a good excuse to do it.

The pizza must be a 12 slice pie, with a different topping for each slice, representing the 12 new months to come in 2012. It can represent the month, or something special that happens in the month.

Just kidding. More basic, less themes. Pizza! The perfect canvas for a creative new year.

What about Cocktails? TD of Cocktails!
Think about it before stabbing me in the neck.
Sweet ones, strong ones, flaming ones, cold ones, strong ones, pretty ones, ugly ones, strong ones, virgin ones (if you must), brown ones, strong ones, white ones, heck... even clear ones, all must have a pepper ingredient, or a complimentary pepper to go with the cocktail.

Ok, stab away...

The pizza must be a 12 slice pie, with a different topping for each slice, representing the 12 new months to come in 2012. It can represent the month, or something special that happens in the month.

Just kidding. More basic, less themes. Pizza! The perfect canvas for a creative new year.
Yeah.... you would have won the WTF award with that one.... ;o)

No need to overthink a classic.

Back