• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

OCD Chilehead said:
They are most definitely red. The led lights and iPhone diluted the color.

I agree. Gary sending me these pods have have opened my eyes. I see light at the end of the tunnel. LOL! He's a good human being. If you look at all the people I hang out with on here, they all have great personalities and are down to earth. Gary is no exception. Couldn't ask for better friends.
I couldn't agree more. Pepper people truly are the best. This forum is filled with fantastic people always willing to help.

BOC has a pretty good burn to me. I love them, too. The Forbing Naga sounds good sliced up fresh on a burger. That's how I like BOC's and Chocolate Habs.

Hi Chuck... thought you might be interested in this webinar on hoophouse growing. It's not specific to chiles, but some good general info.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMER-5tG9N8&list=PLWB2ZfItn7rntdrbbdHV_LjupdoVNLcrN&index=5

The presenter suggests using netting to keep out unwanted insects when the sides of a hoophouse are rolled up, planting densely like you did this year and pruning when necessary to improve airflow and reduce leaf-borne diseases.

Looking around for more specific info, I found this article... http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/a-hoophouse-on-the-horizon-part-4-learning-curve
Apparently even with the sidewalls rolled up and the ends open on her hoophouse, this woman found it was too hot for her peppers and tomatoes. I don't think she had any fans installed in hers though. Maybe it would be a better tactic next year to have your chiles in pots. That way you can start them in the hoophouse early, move them outside under shade netting during the heat of the summer while growing something else inside, then cutting down the summer crop in the hoophouse and moving the pots back inside when the weather cools off again in the fall. If you grew Cukes in the hoophouse during the summer you wouldn't have to buy them for making pickles... ;)

PaulG said:
+1 #702 - on both counts.

Your grow looks great, Charles - very impressive progress there!
Thanks Paul!
I like how things have turned out this year. Plants are the biggest and healthiest plants to date. Just really late flowering. I leaning towards heat and possibly the garden tone I added when transplanting. Might have been to much. Did the same dosage as last year though. I still think the heat is my main problem.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Paul!
I like how things have turned out this year. Plants are the biggest and healthiest plants to date. Just really late flowering. I leaning towards heat and possibly the garden tone I added when transplanting. Might have been to much. Did the same dosage as last year though. I still think the heat is my main problem.

I know what you mean on the late flowering. A great number of mine have yet to produce even one yet, such as my Bishops Hat and Brazillian Starfish and most of the Chinense. Our season is excruciatingly short for long-developing varieties here in way upper Minnesotakstan. We could suffer a frost anytime after a month from now...

I so want to do a hoophouse/high tunnel/greenhouse, we just have so much wind here....

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Paul!
I think you are right, Charles. When the temps get over 90,
flower and pod production really drop off in my grow. We
think of peppers as tropical, and therefore heat and sun
loving. But I think that besides the few varieties like piquins,
they need some shade, like a forest or jungle canopy provides.  
From now on, I'm not putting any plants in full sun, unless I
grow some SW types like piquins. Another part of the problem
here is the cool, wet June weather following a decent May (at
least the last three seasons) and then a ramp up to hot summer
temps very quickly.  The plants get schizophrenic and never
really get a chance to harden off.

Keep up the good work, brother!

A lot of conversation since my last visit. Good on Gary for sending the pods, and glad you liked them. He's the best! I have several of his varieties growing here, all good stuff.

In thinking about the greenhouse and the heat. Yes heat, and I mean the high heat I see here, and you're seeing in the greenhouse hurts production for sure. Rick hit it on the head. Unless you can cool the greenhouse adequately, use it for cool weather. I've been wanting one forever but I'll never be able to afford to cool it, so it will be to place plants in when it's too cold out for them. It would be great for the pineapples, peppers and tomatoes during the cold spells. Eric made a good point. The wind, that for sure is a consideration.

I have faith in you; you'll nail it down and make it work.

Wishing you the best ;)

stickman said:
Hi Chuck... thought you might be interested in this webinar on hoophouse growing. It's not specific to chiles, but some good general info.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMER-5tG9N8&list=PLWB2ZfItn7rntdrbbdHV_LjupdoVNLcrN&index=5

The presenter suggests using netting to keep out unwanted insects when the sides of a hoophouse are rolled up, planting densely like you did this year and pruning when necessary to improve airflow and reduce leaf-borne diseases.

Looking around for more specific info, I found this article... http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/a-hoophouse-on-the-horizon-part-4-learning-curve
Apparently even with the sidewalls rolled up and the ends open on her hoophouse, this woman found it was too hot for her peppers and tomatoes. I don't think she had any fans installed in hers though. Maybe it would be a better tactic next year to have your chiles in pots. That way you can start them in the hoophouse early, move them outside under shade netting during the heat of the summer while growing something else inside, then cutting down the summer crop in the hoophouse and moving the pots back inside when the weather cools off again in the fall. If you grew Cukes in the hoophouse during the summer you wouldn't have to buy them for making pickles... ;)
Thanks for the video and link. Really good information. I am going to watch it a couple times until it sinks in. I was thinking I could put the shade cloth down first and then cover with plastic. That way I can pull the plastic all together. I underestimated the the night time temps as well. I'll do more compost mulch in the greenhouse next year for the added ground insulation. I'll get this down with the help from you and others.

I'll take growing something else in there under consideration. Can't buy the picklers anymore the farm is closing down to public. They've been doing it for over 50 years. I love container gardening. I'll also consider earlier varieties. That's one of the reasons I wanted to try super crosses, hoping for some early varieties that have some heat. I may have to focus on milder varieties that have early maturity dates. I can buy supers for projects.

stettoman said:

I know what you mean on the late flowering. A great number of mine have yet to produce even one yet, such as my Bishops Hat and Brazillian Starfish and most of the Chinense. Our season is excruciatingly short for long-developing varieties here in way upper Minnesotakstan. We could suffer a frost anytime after a month from now...

I so want to do a hoophouse/high tunnel/greenhouse, we just have so much wind here....
First frost is anytime in October for me. We get 50mph gust here. The hoophouse has held up just fine. Ive had 30mph constant wind and still good. The end wall made it more stable. If I brace the top-rail, which I will next year. It will be really stable.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the video and link. Really good information. I am going to watch it a couple times until it sinks in. I was thinking I could put the shade cloth down first and then cover with plastic. That way I can pull the plastic all together.

That sounds like a good idea. If you rolled up the plastic and put it away out of the sunlight it would last longer as well. UV is not your friend when it comes to plastic film.

I underestimated the the night time temps as well. I'll do more compost mulch in the greenhouse next year for the added ground insulation. I'll get this down with the help from you and others.

I'll take growing something else in there under consideration. Can't buy the picklers anymore the farm is closing down to public. They've been doing it for over 50 years. I love container gardening. I'll also consider earlier varieties. That's one of the reasons I wanted to try super crosses, hoping for some early varieties that have some heat. I may have to focus on milder varieties that have early maturity dates. I can buy supers for projects.

There's lots of Annuum varieties with good heat and earlier ripening times. Gochus and NuMex varieties would be in that category. Pusa Jwalas and hot Hungarian Paprikas too. The earliest Chinense variety I know of is the Paper Lantern Habanero.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/peppers/hot-peppers/hot-paper-lantern-organic-pepper-seed-2343G.11.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=MerchantAdv&zmam=80483139&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=2343G.11&source=google_johnny_seeds&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_GOOG&utm_term=shopping&utm_content=so0O1Ifdy_dc|pcrid|71808251533|pkw||pmt||&&gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZXMBRB2EiwA2HVD-Df9IDf1ujxPN-hvHeG6uGuWSoIOvws-6OCdLkDgRfHyNNTymS8CzhoCOHYQAvD_BwE

High Mowing Seeds in Vermont sells seeds for this variety, calling it Maya Red.

https://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-non-gmo-maya-habanero-hot-pepper.html

Hope this helps...

PaulG said:
I think you are right, Charles. When the temps get over 90,
flower and pod production really drop off in my grow. We
think of peppers as tropical, and therefore heat and sun
loving. But I think that besides the few varieties like piquins,
they need some shade, like a forest or jungle canopy provides.  
From now on, I'm not putting any plants in full sun, unless I
grow some SW types like piquins. Another part of the problem
here is the cool, wet June weather following a decent May (at
least the last three seasons) and then a ramp up to hot summer
temps very quickly.  The plants get schizophrenic and never
really get a chance to harden off.

Keep up the good work, brother!
Thanks Paul!
I agree. Plants look much healthier in the shade. I found that out by accident, a few years ago. The benefits to growing to many plants and having no more room, but the shade. LOL! In a couple months, I maybe able to remove the shade cloth. I've noticed they don't like any drastic changes, as well.

Your garden is looking good, Sir.

Hey, Chuck! I just went through my stash and I have a bunch of Pusa Jwala dried pods (Cool-air dried, no dehydrator) and they're filled with op seeds, if you'd like some sent your way.
PJ67lJ5.jpg

stickman said:
Thanks again Rick!!!

I will make a list. I will still grow some Chinese next year, but will not focus on just them. I will start my Chinese Jan 1st or earlier. Just not that many. I didn't start any Annumm this year because all the Chinese that didn't die of frost or hail. Must of done something right this year. LOL!

I have some Gochu you sent me and I'll check out the paper lantern. I think that one is very prolific.

Bhuter said:
Hey, Chuck! I just went through my stash and I have a bunch of Pusa Jwala dried pods (Cool-air dried, no dehydrator) and they're filled with op seeds, if you'd like some sent your way.
PJ67lJ5.jpg
Thanks Adam!

That would be cool. I almost wonder if my Sadabahar is the same pepper as the Pusa Jwala. They have very close growing traits. If not, it's a close cousin. I'll have to try some for heat. Then, I'll know for sure.

Thanks again!

How are your bbg peach ghost jami and peach naga bbg7 going?  I grew the latter and it is definitely not what I was hoping for.  The calyx is barely split on them and the pods are small with a very regular shape (from RFC) - what I wanted was a blistered, bleeding peach pod.  I hope yours turns out better!  I was going to try the bbg peach jami but it's only F2 and I already had too many "maybe" varieties this year.   

Back