• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD Chilehead 2014 Glog

Well I held off posting pictures until today. My babies are one month old today since putting germinated seeds to soil. The Reapers are the biggest and healthiest of the bunch.
20140303_044349.JPG
Reaper
20140303_044613.JPG
Bhut
20140303_044447.JPG
Scorpion
20140303_044054.JPG
Top left misc. 7pot brains. Bottom left Bhuts from CPI. Middle Scorpions from CPI. Right Carolina Reapers. Lost a few along the way.
20140303_044232.JPG
My Chili Arbol x Pequin.
20140303_044220.JPG
Sadabahar
20140303_044303.JPG
Chiltepin.Only had 2 out of 20 germinate. So they have been doing grest since I started bottom watering.Thanks PIC 1. Thank you for looking.

JoeFish said:
Caught up with your GLOG brother.  Plants lookings good.  Good Luck.

Where did you buy the square pots and trays?
I picked them up from a Place called The Indoor Gardener out of Grand Junction, Colorado. 20 cents each.
Spicegeist said:
Very nice, lot's of little plants to keep you busy.
Thanks Spicegeist. There's going to be more. More is good right?
Sorry. They actually out of Clifton.

beerbreath81 said:
Everything looking good buddy. Curious about your set up. What soil/lights you using?
Thank BB. I purchased 8 - 4foot 4 bulb T12s used for $2 each. Using one with Philips daylight deluxe 40w/2325 lumens/ 6500k.Soil is a mix of MG organics choice and Jiffy mix seed starter. I went from germination strait to 4inch pots.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thank BB. I purchased 8 - 4foot 4 bulb T12s used for $2 each. Using one with Philips daylight deluxe 40w/2325 lumens/ 6500k.Soil is a mix of MG organics choice and Jiffy mix seed starter. I went from germination strait to 4inch pots.
nice, keep it up. Let me know if you ever need some seeds! When do you plan to plant out?

beerbreath81 said:
nice, keep it up. Let me know if you ever need some seeds! When do you plan to plant out?
Thanks BB81 for the offer. That's a good question. Last frost is usually around the end of may hear. This year it looks like springs coming early. We shall see. Have been looking at a cheap carport cover from Tractor Supply to make into a greenhouse. Planning on building a hoophouse by the end of Summer. http://www.lostcreek.net/.

beerbreath81 said:
Just curious how the other side of the mountain does things, I have always planted out the first weekend in May with no problems, but most will say im too early?? Good luck on the hoop house, be sure to post some pics of the process
I'm thinking around the first part of May if I get some cover. I'm not planning on final pot until mid May. Easier to move plants if a cold front comes. The daytime temps are warm. I always look at the night temps 10 day forecast. You never know with Colorado. I will post more pics as things get rolling.

Wow, your plants are looking pretty good based on the pics!

elcap1999 said:
Wow, your plants are looking pretty good based on the pics!
Thanks Cap. Have tried not baby them to much. Sit back and observe for the most part. Got the gnats under control. Have to go out of town for a week. It's worrying me leaving them behind. Thought about buckling them up and taking them for a 940 mile ride to California with me. LOL. Decided I better not. Might smuggle a couple for my dad.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Cap. Have tried not baby them to much. Sit back and observe for the most part. Got the gnats under control. Have to go out of town for a week. It's worrying me leaving them behind. Thought about buckling them up and taking them for a 940 mile ride to California with me. LOL. Decided I better not. Might smuggle a couple for my dad.

Oh yeah! I remember the first few times, going on vacation to Disney World, and being worried sick I'd come home to dead plants, but I would invariably come home to plants that had grown significantly, and just needed some water. Don't know what your outdoor situation is, but if you have the space, doing a drip irrigation system like what I have would be an awesome thing to do. Doing it with a timer not only saves you from having to do the watering yourself, you also don't have to worry about watering them (and fertilizing if you added a fert injector to the mix), so except for adding fertilizer to the reservoir, checking on them every few days, and then picking them at harvest time, the whole thing is largely automated.

That, and besides the fact that it takes the guesswork out of how much water you're giving them, almost all of it goes straight into the root zone. There's also the matter that you no longer have to "spray & pray", since nearly 100% of the water stays there near the roots, and I know it's a big thing out west, where water is at a premium. The only thing is if you have them in pots with drainage holes like I do, as opposed to having them in the ground, but that's to be expected.
And I've been guilty of babying my plants, in one case, doing so to death, which was not fun, but definitely a lesson learned.

elcap1999 said:
Oh yeah! I remember the first few times, going on vacation to Disney World, and being worried sick I'd come home to dead plants, but I would invariably come home to plants that had grown significantly, and just needed some water. Don't know what your outdoor situation is, but if you have the space, doing a drip irrigation system like what I have would be an awesome thing to do. Doing it with a timer not only saves you from having to do the watering yourself, you also don't have to worry about watering them (and fertilizing if you added a fert injector to the mix), so except for adding fertilizer to the reservoir, checking on them every few days, and then picking them at harvest time, the whole thing is largely automated.

That, and besides the fact that it takes the guesswork out of how much water you're giving them, almost all of it goes straight into the root zone. There's also the matter that you no longer have to "spray & pray", since nearly 100% of the water stays there near the roots, and I know it's a big thing out west, where water is at a premium. The only thing is if you have them in pots with drainage holes like I do, as opposed to having them in the ground, but that's to be expected.And I've been guilty of babying my plants, in one case, doing so to death, which was not fun, but definitely a lesson learned.
Thanks for the reassurance. Can't do anything outside daytime temp mid to upper 50s. Nighttime temps upper 20s early 30s still. I will be on drip and SIP 5gallon buckets in May. Plan to water them the last minute I leave which is there normal watering schedule. I have people at the house that will FaceTime with me so I can give instructions if needed. Hopfully not. I don't let anybody mess with my peppas. I pity the fool that does.LOL.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the reassurance. Can't do anything outside daytime temp mid to upper 50s. Nighttime temps upper 20s early 30s still. I will be on drip and SIP 5gallon buckets in May. Plan to water them the last minute I leave which is there normal watering schedule. I have people at the house that will FaceTime with me so I can give instructions if needed. Hopfully not. I don't let anybody mess with my peppas. I pity the fool that does.LOL.

I too pity the fool! I've been profoundly lucky in that thus far, I've only found one leaf (yes, you read that right) that had aphid eggs on them, and I immediately disposed of it since it had already yellowed & fallen off. I'm chalking it up to the ambient level of salt in the air. But yeah, so far, I haven't had any critters mess with my plants, anumal or human. And I imagine that if anyone comes by and picks one or two (tresspassing charge notwithstanding), they'll be in for a shock when they bite into one of the Morugas!

And whenever I went to Disney, I wasn't lucky enough to have anyone to come over and water my plants, I just had to grin & bear it, but was rather lucky in that none of them passed on when I wen ton my trips. Still, it'll be nice to have the automated watering and fertilizing system going, since it'll take the human element and guesswork largely out of the equation.

elcap1999 said:
I too pity the fool! I've been profoundly lucky in that thus far, I've only found one leaf (yes, you read that right) that had aphid eggs on them, and I immediately disposed of it since it had already yellowed & fallen off. I'm chalking it up to the ambient level of salt in the air. But yeah, so far, I haven't had any critters mess with my plants, anumal or human. And I imagine that if anyone comes by and picks one or two (tresspassing charge notwithstanding), they'll be in for a shock when they bite into one of the Morugas!

And whenever I went to Disney, I wasn't lucky enough to have anyone to come over and water my plants, I just had to grin & bear it, but was rather lucky in that none of them passed on when I wen ton my trips. Still, it'll be nice to have the automated watering and fertilizing system going, since it'll take the human element and guesswork largely out of the equation.
One leaf that's great. Do you think that's from the foliar feeding? I agree. The automation will be great. Have more time to enjoy those little red treats.

OCD Chilehead said:
One leaf that's great. Do you think that's from the foliar feeding? I agree. The automation will be great. Have more time to enjoy those little red treats.

I don't think it's the foliar feeding, since I've been rather inconsistent in applying it as of late, and when I have, it's largely been on the top of the leaves, not the bottom. I'm chalking it up more in my case to being so close to the ocean, and with the saltiness of the air. Most bugs don't like the salty air too much, but the beneficial ones, like butterflies, bees, and other pollenators, don't seem to mind it one bit, and I've seen them all in recent weeks on my plants, happily pollenating away.

Sorry about that. Seen you talked about that in your previous post. Had another one of sicmans pods a little while ago and having trouble with motor skills. The salt makes since. Good to here the pollinators are out and about.

Back