• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Black Label

Finally got to try the Black label and it is very good indeed!, The Red is still my favorite, as it is more versatile as a table sauce for regular folks.

The Black Label in my Football Party Chili was just what the doctor ordered to kick up the heat to the appropriate level. 

Nicely Done Mr. Z.

Heat:2.5
Flavor 7
Consistency 7

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. It is a mild sauce. I could see this being a decent sweet wing sauce though.

Edited to change the flavor rating as I have now used this sauce on wings and it is very tasty on them.

Sm1nts2escape said:
Flavor 3
Consistency 7

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. It is a mild sauce. I could see this being a decent sweet wing sauce though.
Sorry you didn't like my sauce - the reviews have been fantastic so far & every store selling it has reordered, plus my weekly market customers keep returning for more, so I guess I'm fortunate that you don't represent the average palate.

Maybe you can help me to improve - why did you give it a 3/10 on flavor?

Best of luck in your pursuit for a hot sauce you enjoy. :cheers:

To everyone else - Sm1nts2escape asks an interesting question: what is "all the fuss" about?

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Sorry you didn't like my sauce - the reviews have been fantastic so far & every store selling it has reordered, plus my weekly market customers keep returning for more, so I guess I'm fortunate that you don't represent the average palate.

Maybe you can help me to improve - why did you give it a 3/10 on flavor?

Best of luck in your pursuit for a hot sauce you enjoy. :cheers:
No problem. It does seem that my palate isn't as everyone else on here. It's not that I don't like it. I just feel that this being a BLACK label, having scorpion chillis and being advertised as extra hot it should have some heat which I think that it does not. I feel like I was misled. Also I like the initial sweet garlic and apple flavor but it is soon overpowered by what taste to me like a load of black pepper. I will use whats left as a wing sauce and on pork.

Scoville DeVille said:
Someone doesn't see what all the fuss is about.

Someoneneeds to put down the crack pipe and not be rude.
Really? I am not the one making fun of people because they gave a review that you don't agree with. Childish.

Sm1nts2escape said:
No problem. It does seem that my palate isn't as everyone else on here. It's not that I don't like it. I just feel that this being a BLACK label, having scorpion chillis and being advertised as extra hot it should have some heat which I think that it does not. I feel like I was misled. Also I like the initial sweet garlic and apple flavor but it is soon overpowered by what taste to me like a load of black pepper. I will use whats left as a wing sauce and on pork.
Interesting. There's no black pepper in the ingredients list. Your palate may indeed be off.

That sauce is extra hot to most people. Many credible sauce reviewers (JayT, Hot Sauce Daily, etc) who regularly review superhot sauces all rated Black Label at 6.5 or higher.

I understand chileheads have more tolerance, but a 2.5 for heat? A number of well respected chileheads have commented on this topic without that low a rating.

Sorry you feel "misled".

I wasn't aware that label color is expected to indicate heat. How hot should "Black" be?

Sm1nts2escape said:
Flavor 3
Consistency 7

I am not getting in a flame war with you as you are entitled to your opinion, but to come in here and give your "review" as a weak sauce and mild and saying "I don't see what the fuss all about" is rude. Plain and simple. You felt you were misled? How exactly? Have you had all of LDHS' sauces? It is his hottest to date and thank god it isn't equivalent to Mad Dog, or The Source. (Sounds like you would love that extract crap) it has one of the best blends of heat and flavor I have ever had. Hard to achieve when making sauce right? People like you come and go and thats fine, but please, don't be rude. If you like (or hate) someone's sauce thats cool, as it should be. Just don't be a dick about it and don't call me childish. You don't know me. (Oh the irony :lol:)

I appreciate any feedback on my products. I work extremely hard to make them and people are entitled to their opinions by virtue of spending their hard earned money on them.

I understand that not everyone will like my sauces - while i'd rather they all did, I know it's not possible.

Thanks for your feedback Sm1nts2escape.

Edited to quote Scoville so there is no confusion.
Scoville DeVille said:
I am not getting in a flame war with you as you are entitled to your opinion, but to come in here and give your "review" as a weak sauce and mild and saying "I don't see what the fuss all about" is rude. Plain and simple. You felt you were misled? How exactly? Have you had all of LDHS' sauces? It is his hottest to date and thank god it isn't equivalent to Mad Dog, or The Source. (Sounds like you would love that extract crap) it has one of the best blends of heat and flavor I have ever had. Hard to achieve when making sauce right? People like you come and go and thats fine, but please, don't be rude. If you like (or hate) someone's sauce thats cool, as it should be. Just don't be a dick about it and don't call me childish. You don't know me. (Oh the irony :lol:)

Go argue with someone else and stop putting words in my mouth. I stated my opinion and I'm sorry you don't agree with it.

Sm1nts2escape said:
Edited to quote Scoville so there is no confusion.

Go argue with someone else and stop putting words in my mouth. I stated my opinion and I'm sorry you don't agree with it.
I have a question: Can you give an example of what would you consider a 9 or 10 for a very hot, non extract sauce? 

Personally I find the Black label plenty hot and tasty, but I'm not really a fan of "Nuclear" hot sauces. 

I stand by my review.  This sauce is a wonderful blend of ingredients and heat.  It is not meant to be a burner, it is meant to be what it is claimed to be, the hottest of LDHS' line.  This is not the place for "flame wars" as whoever said.  Take that to pms if you must get into pissing contests.  Thank you.  Carry on.

Actually people can post their own reviews here that's why we offer the star ratings on the review page for all users.  Most people that comment want to at least tell you their opinion.

(okay Jay removed his request now my comment makes no sense)

Thanks - appreciate that upgrade. Try it on pork of any kind - pulled pork, carnitas, pork chops, pork roast, pork loin...Apple+pig=delicious
:cheers:
Oh, and grilled oysters. Might be the best pairing possible.

Put it on The Pig! 

There will be Black Label and JAG's Appletalli on the Turkey Day table this year! 
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Back