• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Black Label

Heard great things about Lucky Dog sauces, JayT, and this one sounds like a real winner. Great descriptions, this is the first one I've read from you. Why haven't I read your reviews sooner (kicking myself!).

LDHS came to the Feisty Parrot zoo last week :dance:  Hubby was so excited that he actually made me change what I had planned for dinner because it would be better to test the sauces on!

Anyway, we got to try the Green and the Black labels and  whilst neither of us are in any shape, way, form, means or qualified to be a reviewer, the following is what we thought:

Labels - nicely done, personally I love a bit of bling (it's the female magpie effect syndrome) and think these are great,  would stand out well on a shelf in a store and  of course I love that the business is named after a pet! I like that the heat is mentioned on the front and there is a heat thermometer, although this was a little hard to read on the green label, perhaps just bad lighting.

The sauces are a good color, funny though on first glance without reading the labels, I would have thought that the Green label was the hotter, purely because it has red pepper flakes unlike the Black. Both have a smooth consistency with a great pour and a smooth texture.

For the Black Label the smell of the peppers is that which greets you, followed by the vinegar. Upon taste, the flavours blend well together with a slight burn which fades quickly and is not at all unpleasant,
For the Green Label, I found the vinegar hit first followed by onions which would make sense as they are the first two ingredients. Taste wise, it is sweet and the roasted garlic really stands out, I love roasted garlic, so for me this was awesome, there is a slight heat which fades very quickly. It is a tasty sauce which I could imagine using on a variety of dishes.

In summary these are great sauces and we see why LDHS is rapidly carving out a great name for himself. Dave managed to polish off half the bottle of the Black Label with his dinner that night, so it must be good :P

Thanks for a fabulous trade :dance:

Back