• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OKGrowin- Newbie 5 gal pepper journey - Fin

finished nov 10 2014, last post

Hey i'm new here and my 2nd year growing peppers.

Grow list:
oRVROQe.png

Soilmix:
5-1-1
pine bark fines
perlite
coco or peat
+
dolomite lime

Fertilizer:
Dynagrow 9-3-6 Foliage pro

Indoor light (until they can go outside in april):
Sun system T5 4ft 8lamp

Containers:
1. solo cups
2. Viagrow 5gal bags

=====================================
Step 1 - Germination:
Got my seeds all in so i decided to soak them in some tea for an hour and now they are in ziploc bags
MQ1FsYP.jpg
Ehq24UK.jpg

Looks like the plants are still goin' strong! I don't know what's going on with those drippy chocolate habs. I've had some pods     do that before, but it's only when they have some kind of insect or fungal problem. The cells in the damaged area lyse and the juice that was inside the cells leaks out into the inside of the pod. Have you gotten a lot of rain lately? That could've made some pods split, causing juice to leak out of the tissue. 
     Either way, the plants look really healthy. Are you planning to put more space between the nozzles on your drip line next year so you can spread your plants further apart?

Chances are if you pick the peppers early in the morning you'll end up with moisture inside. 
Harvest the pods during the afternoon heat and you'll probably notice less if any at all.

dash 2 said:
     Looks like the plants are still goin' strong! I don't know what's going on with those drippy chocolate habs. I've had some pods     do that before, but it's only when they have some kind of insect or fungal problem. The cells in the damaged area lyse and the juice that was inside the cells leaks out into the inside of the pod. Have you gotten a lot of rain lately? That could've made some pods split, causing juice to leak out of the tissue. 
     Either way, the plants look really healthy. Are you planning to put more space between the nozzles on your drip line next year so you can spread your plants further apart?
Hmm some of them are split a little but even the non split ones are juicy. It's not really a bad thing so i'm not upset lol.
yeah i plan on giving them a foot between instead of right next to eachother. or maybe do checkerboard staggering. I've been looking at trying out dutch buckets if i can justify spending 300$ (maybe if i get a big bonus next year).

PIC 1 said:
Chances are if you pick the peppers early in the morning you'll end up with moisture inside. 
Harvest the pods during the afternoon heat and you'll probably notice less if any at all.
hmm i usually harvest at lunchtime or at night. why would i want to be out in the heat  ;)

so my big plants seemed to have stopped producing flowers as much just because i thought it was hot... I checked my fertilizer bucket and it was empty so my plants haven't been getting nutes for the past week! oops

an update on the LED seedlings
IMG_20140910_115629.jpg

IMG_20140910_115634.jpg

oh and i had turkey + br starfish sandwich yesterday
IMG_20140909_122925.jpg

tuna tacos today
IMG_20140910_121735.jpg

juanitos said:

I grew tons of choc habs last year and noticed the same moisture, obviously not that it's specific to choc habs.  Didn't occur to me about picking in the morning as PIC 1 stated, makes sense though.  I can tell you that I tasted the moisture inside and it was definitely very watery and not all that hot.  Obviously wasn't straight capsaicin.  Suspect that picking before watering when the plant is starved for water would also help.

small harvest (except reapers left on plants, trying to get a box together all ripe at once).

IMG_20140915_130040.jpg

a funny cayenne stripe
IMG_20140915_114411.jpg

prik chi faa is flowering again
IMG_20140915_114531.jpg

i've got quite a few reapers comin
IMG_20140915_114441.jpg

the hab paper lanterns seem like they are almost done, they come in waves it seems not just the continuous flower / fruit production.
IMG_20140915_114609.jpg

quite a few urfa beiber on this stem, no hanging / weak sagging which is nice.
IMG_20140915_114548.jpg

brazilian starfish
IMG_20140915_114637.jpg

yaki browns comin along, dark stems.
IMG_20140915_114647.jpg

so i haven't updated lately because the plants look pretty much the exact same, i'm about ready to whack them all down and overwinter a few, i've already turned the water off and will let nature take its course.

IMG_20141022_160419.jpg

urfa bieber
IMG_20141022_160437.jpg

baby reapers that probably wont make it to ripe.
IMG_20141022_160520.jpg

one of the few ripe ones left.
IMG_20141022_160605.jpg

Back