• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OKGrowin- Newbie 5 gal pepper journey - Fin

finished nov 10 2014, last post

Hey i'm new here and my 2nd year growing peppers.

Grow list:
oRVROQe.png

Soilmix:
5-1-1
pine bark fines
perlite
coco or peat
+
dolomite lime

Fertilizer:
Dynagrow 9-3-6 Foliage pro

Indoor light (until they can go outside in april):
Sun system T5 4ft 8lamp

Containers:
1. solo cups
2. Viagrow 5gal bags

=====================================
Step 1 - Germination:
Got my seeds all in so i decided to soak them in some tea for an hour and now they are in ziploc bags
MQ1FsYP.jpg
Ehq24UK.jpg

Blister said:
I've noticed this before. The ones in pots (or in your case fabric pots) take off and get a good lead on the ones in the ground. Things look a little bleak. The good news from my experience is that the ones in the ground tend to catch up and pass those in the pots by a little bit.

Neil

I think part of that is because I used higher grade potting soil in those 5 gal. The slow release fertilizers in it do a pretty good job *assuming* the moisture levels stay somewhat constant. Once the plants in the pots grow to a size where they are out-running their water supply (mine are now sucking up all of the water and drying out each day), the more frequent waterings and wet/dry cycles seem to not let as much of the fertilizer work.

Then, comes the point with the roots can't get any bigger. The cloth pots keep them from circling up as bad as in plastic pots, as it also prunes them. That makes the cloth-bagged plants continually try to put more effort in to the roots (no different than if you "topped" the plant, how it puts more effort in to foilage). When roots are pruned it disrupts the auxin balance. Tells the plant "wait, quit growing bigger, we have a problem down below." Roots continue to branch out, over and over again, until you've got a monster root cluster. When root space is exhausted, the plant will (nearly literally) explode with foilage & new growth, and likely kill itself if you don't carefully sustain it with liquid nutrients.

I've got a few "hydro in exhausted soil" specimens growing for the second or third year now. 

This is a 1 1/2 year old Bhut Jolokia in approx 1 year old potting soil. The soil is exhausted; there's not much left, as the entire pot is filled with a network of roots.

vGqxTdmh.jpg

Worth noting, it produced massively more than the overwinters I gave fresh soil to this year. 

I'm trying to figure out how to time this because once the plant realizes (via auxins) that the soil is exhausted, it seems to want to go "bats--t f'n crazy" on production in one last massive reproduction attempt, before it dies.

Once those Bhuts ripen, I'm going to prune it back, de-pot it, wash & prune the roots, and re-pot it in fresh soil as early as possible, so that by next summer it's exhausted (once again) and triggers another bloom explosion.

At least, that's the plan. Repotting in mid-spring didn't work out so well. All it did was slow the plants down.

So i'm going to sell  plants next year, so i'm going to test out my lights and test out my shipping methods with baby plants to make sure everything is ready to go.

so i started some lemon  drops, br starfish, and some reapers
IMG_20140731_130107.jpg

Wow...totally impressed with the growth your getting in your bags!  Are the plants shaded during any part of the day or in full Oklahoma sun all day long?

turbo said:
Wow...totally impressed with the growth your getting in your bags!  Are the plants shaded during any part of the day or in full Oklahoma sun all day long?
they get sun about 11am-7pm

Lots of ripening happening.  Have you tasted the choco habs before?  I'm excited about giving that plant a try next year.

How tall are your plants getting in the 5 gallon containers?  Are they all about the same size?

dlsolo said:
Lots of ripening happening.  Have you tasted the choco habs before?  I'm excited about giving that plant a try next year.

How tall are your plants getting in the 5 gallon containers?  Are they all about the same size
Choc habs are really hot and very chinense(floral?) tasting. but have a richer taste than other habs i've tried.
most are around 4ft. Some are small/ are growing sideways instead of up. I'm not staking anything.

put some choco habs on the grill for 8 hours
IMG_20140804_153400.jpg

IMG_20140804_153406.jpg

IMG_20140804_153420.jpg

Purdy looking pods ya got there, I have a similar set up with the fabric grocery bags In close proximity and it has worked out pretty well. Everything is looking top notch up thataway! Nice fence by the way.

a nice prik chi faa
IMG_20140807_120537.jpg

hab paper lantern
IMG_20140807_120545.jpg

yaki brown loadin up
IMG_20140807_120612.jpg

reaperz
IMG_20140807_120655.jpg

br starfish
IMG_20140807_120746.jpg

bug bro, dunno if he's friendly or not
IMG_20140807_121226.jpg

Deseeded some moruga scorps, nitrile gloves worked to keep the heat off my fingers! 

i'm going to include some free seeds with every sfrb / plant order gotta stock up!

IMG_20140808_160912.jpg

IMG_20140808_160924.jpg

these pods are wicked hot
IMG_20140808_160946.jpg

and onto the grill with some choc habs
IMG_20140808_161126.jpg

Back