• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OKGrowin- Newbie 5 gal pepper journey - Fin

finished nov 10 2014, last post

Hey i'm new here and my 2nd year growing peppers.

Grow list:
oRVROQe.png

Soilmix:
5-1-1
pine bark fines
perlite
coco or peat
+
dolomite lime

Fertilizer:
Dynagrow 9-3-6 Foliage pro

Indoor light (until they can go outside in april):
Sun system T5 4ft 8lamp

Containers:
1. solo cups
2. Viagrow 5gal bags

=====================================
Step 1 - Germination:
Got my seeds all in so i decided to soak them in some tea for an hour and now they are in ziploc bags
MQ1FsYP.jpg
Ehq24UK.jpg

So i checked on the plants outside. The annum seems fine. The chinense you can tell is cold, his leaves went from crispy to soft and floppy. We'll see how he does!

blorvak said:
Very nice! Interested to see how those bags work for you this year.
yeah i think they'll do good, When i watered them the water draining out after 3-5 secs, which is pretty impressive i think for 5 gallons of soil mix. And they seemed pretty solid, maybe when plants get 4' tall i may have to support the bags so they don't fall over, but being next to fence i figured would help them from getting blown over.

dash 2 said:
     Wow, man. You are gonna have one  :hot: summer! Your plants look awesome and they're only going to get bigger!
yup can't wait

Devv said:
Plants are looking really nice, how long until they stay outside? Shouldn't be too far off?
i'm leaving those 2 outside as "test plants" lol

the coldest in the 10 day forecast is tonight @ 34, the rest are 40-60 lows

I'm really surprised at our forecast is going down to 49° again, but better than 34°!

This should be the end!

Plants are looking great! You've also got an awesome root system built for when they get into the grow bags. Plant them then stand back because they'll explode with new growth.

Neil

So after redesigning my LED seed starting i'm testing again woohoo(if all goes well i'll be posting a DIY in tech):
IMG_20140415_082147.jpg

Oh and after watering my plants a few times i think they really need the drip setup. My soil drains in like 20 seconds and doesn't stay wet for long, This is to prevent overwatering and increase aeration of roots. Problem is it stays damp for a couple hours then is dry again already!! I'm going to pick up 1/4 in irrigation lines with 2 gallon per hour emitters and hope the soil gets nice and soaked.

Plants look fanfreekintastic!

I know the feeling of in and out with the plants, but soon they can stay out.

As for the watering, once the medium has been completely saturated they will hold the moisture better. Use the "what they weigh" technique for when they need water...

So do they spend the summer in the 5 gal bags? I'm quite a bit further South, and tried 5 gal plastic buckets last season. They quickly wanted more space, watering every day. Made some 20 gal bags:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=262977

$5 a piece for the 20 gal bags. Solved my issues

Devv said:
Plants look fanfreekintastic!

Yeah i'm getting 1 gallon drippers i will run everyday, i can't imagine sitting there watering them everyday with a hose. Also think i'll get a siphon mixer for nutes. I looked at the nicer fertilizer injectors but they are 200$+

I haven't done 5 gallon size yet, only rows and raised beds, so we'll see how it goes. I might do that in july or something

Back