• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

One pepper everyone has to try

Unusual varieties? I may have grown one or three.

Cumari do Para remains my favourite and is the one I`d hope everyone got to taste at least once. 

A few others,

CGN 20800, CGN 21500, Cheiro roxa, Fidalgo roxa, Suriname 8 (CGN 24331), Aji Jobito - all C.chinense.

PI 585273, CAP 867, Rocoto San Isidro, Cabe Gendot - all C.pubescens.

Pimenta Trepadeira de Werner, Peruvian Orange (PI 496900), Sugar Rush Cream - All C.baccatum.

I`m not a big fan of C.,annuum, but Vezena Piperka are wonderful. As are Judy`s Albanian Red Hot, which are very similar. I also liked Arroz con Pollo (from Cuba) this year. 

Nigel said:
Unusual varieties? I may have grown one or three.

Cumari do Para remains my favourite and is the one I`d hope everyone got to taste at least once. 

A few others,

CGN 20800, CGN 21500, Cheiro roxa, Fidalgo roxa, Suriname 8 (CGN 24331), Aji Jobito - all C.chinense.

PI 585273, CAP 867, Rocoto San Isidro, Cabe Gendot - all C.pubescens.

Pimenta Trepadeira de Werner, Peruvian Orange (PI 496900), Sugar Rush Cream - All C.baccatum.

I`m not a big fan of C.,annuum, but Vezena Piperka are wonderful. As are Judy`s Albanian Red Hot, which are very similar. I also liked Arroz con Pollo (from Cuba) this year. 
I have had a few of those Nigel listed above and I agree cumari do para is unique in that it has such a strong chinense flavor but at the same time is not unpleasant as I find with some other strongly chinense flavored pods. Plus it has a short lived wake up burn to go with it. I was really taken back by Aji jobito, From the aroma, fully expected a mouth full of fire.

I also got a chance to grow and try rain forest this year, I thought it was very nice all around.

CGN-21500 and fidalga roxa where both pretty plants and the pods had a unique taste but didn't have too many real world applications other than eating raw. They threw off the taste of sauces, salsa and quacamole. Didn't taste good as a powder at all. Only way to enjoy them is raw by themselves. That said, I will probably grow fidalga roxa again for the beauty factor. 

hogleg said:
+1   7 pot burgundy and B.O.C

And I'm pretty sure I would disappoint D3 if I didn't say Goatsweed.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

images (1).png

D3monic said:
CGN-21500 and fidalga roxa where both pretty plants and the pods had a unique taste but didn't have too many real world applications other than eating raw. They threw off the taste of sauces, salsa and quacamole. Didn't taste good as a powder at all. Only way to enjoy them is raw by themselves. That said, I will probably grow fidalga roxa again for the beauty factor. 
Really useful info! I'm growing for sauces only at this stage and kept reading about these two and their unique flavour profiles. Was going to grow the CGN-21500 but I'll scrap it for now and try in once I have my sauce varieties sorted.

My favourite I have tried so far is the yellow 7 pot.

Like its been said there are so many good and great varieties one could use, some with heat that would melt your face. I'm rather fond of the wild species they are not as hot as some, although you can use a blend of hotter varieties.  To make enough sauce for sale though, it would take a great many plants and a lot of patients picking all the small pods. 

PexPeppers said:
SB7J and Red Brainstrain. im sick in the head, what can i say.

6inUuVPh.jpg
For sure on the SB7J. Not only are there a couple cool pheno's, they taste great with good heat. Really surprised by how tasty they were when I tried my first sliver.

2 words... AJI GOLDEN!!

The most amazingly delicious, sugar sweet, truly 'fruity', exotic, leave you a bit taken back on first taste- not really sure if your tasting correctly! None of that 'soapiness' some seem to find with some of the Baccatum varieties. Best Aji I have tried to date! I just wish they were much bigger so you could take a proper huge bite out of them (and several after that!), and not just be little 'popables' of a pepper. 

I haven't had the great pleasure to try the Aji Jobito and the few others supposed to be at the 'pinnacle' of flavor mountain (yet). 

Also really wanting to sample the Sugar Rush Cream and Peach as well... and of course the Aleppo and Urfa Biber, etc.. are on my 'tasty to try' list. 

Elephant Ear's seemed to be VERY popular this past growing season! Perhaps someone who has tasted them could chime in. Cheers! 

I've experienced soapiness to the heat of chillies before but never with an Aji. Aji have more of a slightly dryish, almost fragrant feel to their spice in my experience, though their flavour doesn't tend to be perfumey.

D3monic said:
I have yet to try what I want to do with the CGN 21500. A blueberry drizzle with some soft cream cheese filling.

I definitely agree though that the taste throws off my sauces. Same with the Pimenta De Neyde. Throws off my sauce if its the only pepper. 

Datil said:
Naga Morich - from the good old times.
I can probably fulfill all my spicy needs with NM powder alone.
I'm shocked to hear that many newcomers growing every unstable cross never tried one.
It rocks and always will.

Datil
I agree that the NM seems under rated. It was probably my biggest producer last year. I could pick off that plant everyone I went out to the garden. Great taste and heat too.

Red Moa SB & Aji Penec they pare great together made a pepper Jelly using these & everyone loved it kept talking about how great the flavor was .
So I would think they work in a sauce as well .

Back