• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

One pepper everyone has to try

Genetikx said:
I feel like they took a little longer than normal to ripen but kicked out pods quicker toward the end of the season. Here's what a few of mine looked like (MOA Yellow on left).

Ok, mine has definitely been sick. Small, smooth pods only, like what most plants make in the winter. They seem hotter than habs though.

"Joes Long Cayenne", the taste is so much better than every other Anuum i had. Very sweet, very nutty. Its the only Cayenne, that i roasted in the pan. And the powder is absolutely fantastic.

BlackFatalii said:
+1 on the small Orange Thai. I would also add Aji Fantasy and CARDI Yellow Scorpion to the list.

Do you tried "Aji fantasy" and "Aji Fantasy White" and compared the taste?

hogleg said:
Small Orange Thai. They have the most concentrated annuum perfume I've ever experienced.   :drooling:
Doe they taste a bit "soapy" like many "birdeyes" and "Thai peppers" does?

BlackFatalii said:

I haven't tried the white yet, only the original yellow Aji Fantasy. It's a really nice and sweet, low heat pepper.
Have it on my list too, nice to hear that is so good :-)

I tried the white one last year and found it a bit boring.

Zackorz said:

Doe they taste a bit "soapy" like many "birdeyes" and "Thai peppers" does?

I would say that depends on your point of view. Does cilantro taste like soap to you? To a discerning palette I would say no. But like cilantro I can see how people find some of the notes to be a soapy flavor. Although I dont find it to be soap flavor, its its own thing.

And yes, I have had my mouth washed out with soap fer cussing, I know what it taste like.  :lol:

hogleg said:

I would say that depends on your point of view. Does cilantro taste like soap to you? To a discerning palette I would say no. But like cilantro I can see how people find some of the notes to be a soapy flavor. Although I dont find it to be soap flavor, its its own thing.

And yes, I have had my mouth washed out with soap fer cussing, I know what it taste like.  :lol:

Chilantro tasts a bit soapy for me yes. The reason for this "soapy flavour" is a "formaldehyt" that some taste and some not. Some people think also "Habaneros" taste soapy. For me just some "Anuums" have that taste. i guess i have to give it a try myself. Thanks for your answere  ;)

Really interesting reading through this thread!

My favourite c.baccatum are Lemon Drop (my staple, go to chilli! Perfect heat and zingy citrus flavour for everyday use in family cooking) and Aji Cristal (when picked green 'on the turn', unique, flavoursome and delicious when sliced into salad!)

c.chinense doesn't get any better than TS CARDI Yellow for me, massive pods, manageable heat and super fruity flavour which is great in a curry (hints of pineapple?) 

D3monic said:
Bolsa de Dulce is an all around tasty pepper and is mild enough the whole family should be able to tolerate it. 

A favorite combo of mine is MOA yellow bonnet and Bahamian goat. The two Smoked and crushed make a terrific seasoning. It's been my #1 go to. I had smoked mine over alder and cherry. 

I'm growing both MOA yellow and Bahamian goat.  May have to try that mix.  The only wood I have though is Hickory.  From reading this thread I will also grow Joe's Long Cayenne.

TBPF99 said:
And for super spicy the reaper takes it I have only ate one so far but it tasted good before my face turned white and my mouth was so hot it lost taste

Might I suggest either getting Reapers dry or drying them yourself? It changes the flavour a little but they're still a delicious mellower chilli flavour and, without juice in them, you can eat small pieces at a time to control the heat and enjoy the taste more.
I'm still a big fan of ghosts but reapers are an amazing super too.

For non-supers, I still say the white fatalii is a unique flavour and heat that must be tried but would also highly recommend padrons fried with salt, eaten whole and warm. Even the "hot" ones are laughably mild but the flavour is so good. Green but not grassy and definitely nothing like a green bell pepper.

Zackorz said:

Chilantro tasts a bit soapy for me yes. The reason for this "soapy flavour" is a "formaldehyt" that some taste and some not. Some people think also "Habaneros" taste soapy. For me just some "Anuums" have that taste. i guess i have to give it a try myself. Thanks for your answere  ;)
Cilantro tastes very soapy to me too, which is why I grow Culantro (Recao). It has a similar flavor as cilantro, but no soapiness whatsoever.

I would say that Rocoto should be a pepper everyone should try. I was at a party at a Peruvian friends house last night, and his mom made a crema de rocoto. Everyone that tried it that had never had rocoto before, kept asking what it was, coming back for seconds, and saying how delicious it was.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Cilantro tastes very soapy to me too, which is why I grow Culantro (Recao). It has a similar flavor as cilantro, but no soapiness whatsoever.

I would say that Rocoto should be a pepper everyone should try. I was at a party at a Peruvian friends house last night, and his mom made a crema de rocoto. Everyone that tried it that had never had rocoto before, kept asking what it was, coming back for seconds, and saying how delicious it was.
 Everyone in my family loves koriander (chilantro) but i have, as mentioned, a problem with it. That´s a really cool tip, thank you :-).

One Question about it:

Do  a whole Plant grows out of 1 seed, or do i have to grown many seeds parallel to get a culantro bush ( like you have to, when you sow "basil")?

Zackorz said:
 Everyone in my family loves koriander (chilantro) but i have, as mentioned, a problem with it. That´s a really cool tip, thank you :-).

One Question about it:

Do  a whole Plant grows out of 1 seed, or do i have to grown many seeds parallel to get a culantro bush ( like you have to, when you sow "basil")?
I like to keep them spaced out a bit. The leaves seem to get a lot larger that way. Here is a pic of some of my culantro. Make sure to clip the flower stalk as soon as it starts to come up, and you can have fresh culantro year round.

Attachments

• 20160207_154136.jpg
    20160207_154136.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 47
Thegreenchilemonster said:
I like to keep them spaced out a bit. The leaves seem to get a lot larger that way. Here is a pic of some of my culantro. Make sure to clip the flower stalk as soon as it starts to come up, and you can have fresh culantro year round.

Thank you, they look really nice. Reminds me of a plant, that grows wild here, but i dont know the name now.

Good to know, that 1 seed gives a whole plant and not just a "high branch", like a "basil" does :-).

Zackorz said:

Thank you, they look really nice. Reminds me of a plant, that grows wild here, but i dont know the name now.

Good to know, that 1 seed gives a whole plant and not just a "high branch", like a "basil" does :-).
Interesting, I have always grown individual basil plants (from one seed) and all have grown bushy. Many varieties too.

Perhaps you could try topping your basil lol

Back