Ozzy's All Grain on deck

Wheebz I was thinking of you last night. My wife and I went to a small brewery/pub last night and I was looking at all their equipment. I'm anxious to see your setup when it gets done.
wheebz said:
I'm drunk. And I wanna make some beer.

grantmichaels said:
Brewing this weekend? ...
Possibly. I have the yeast to make that Summer Solstice clone I may try to make if I have time. We're going to Rams game Sunday and I have to work Saturday, but I'll see what I can do.
I moved my Dark Choc Stout to the seconday. It's at 1.026 now so it's 4%. Another week and I think I'll go ahead and bottle it. Tasted pretty good. I'm probably going to add some choc extract per the recipie.

I just sent off my strainer basket for fabrication this afternoon, I forgot about that ...

I think I might just do some one-gallon batches on the stove, though ... maybe JayT's beer, actually ...

grantmichaels said:
I just sent off my strainer basket for fabrication this afternoon, I forgot about that ...

I think I might just do some one-gallon batches on the stove, though ... maybe JayT's beer, actually ...
Do you just ferment a 1 gal batch in a growler or something?

You use these glass apple-juice-like jugs ...

https://jaysbrewingblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/cimg5914.jpg

They have screw caps w/ holes for the airlock/blow-off tube etc ...

I probably should just tackle the BeerGun and process the two least-full kegs from the keezer into bottles ...

Then I can move the two new beers into the keezer, and I'll end up w/ 3x empty 5 gallon kegs and an empty fermentation chamber ....

Once I do that, I am all set to brew new batches (3x can have cold ferm) using the fully closed-system configuration ...

I'll probably do this.

BeerGun time.

Grant -vs- kegs part VI ...

Brewing will commence tomorrow late afternoon. Waiting for the snack pack to swell up. Starter wort in the mason jar cooling off.
It I'll be the Summer Solstice clone.

I have now went through half of my Imperial stout supply and there are only 2 sixers of te Blue Moon clone left.

Nice evening here. Mid 60's right now gonna dip to the 50's tonight.
I'm going to get a pork shoulder going here soon for my father-in-law's family reunion tomorrow.

grantmichaels said:
Cool.

I have no strainer basket assembly, so I'll be doing transfers and BeerGun crap, and possibly brewing some one-gallon action stove-top for lulz ...

Enjoy the family time!
Lol I'm not even going to the reunion. He just asked if I would grill him something to bring. I have to do some work in the morning. But with going to the Rams game Sunday I don't thin I'll want to brew after that.

Well, the grain is mashing right now, but I'm concerned about my starter. There isn't any activity in it right now and I'll be ready to pitch in about 2.5-3 hrs. I guess I'll just pitch it, and if it doesn't do anything, pitch some US5. Should turn out similar.

Why do you say no activity? ... Should only be turning milkier ... Krausen would be sign of making beer, which isn't what you want ...

grantmichaels said:
Why do you say no activity? ... Should only be turning milkier ... Krausen would be sign of making beer, which isn't what you want ...
Lol I'm probably just being paranoid. It's definitely milky, and now the airlock has actually stopped resting on the stem so it's probably fine. I'm just waiting for the boil now.

I also need to rack my IPA and start the dry hopping tonight too. Good times.

I know the feeling ... hate the first 12 hrs after pitching!
I still need to rack two, tonight or tomorrow ...

I took on the chamber vac this afternoon, BeerGun likely waiting until tomorrow ...

Well the fermentation has begun on the latest brew. So I'm relieved to see that.

Checked the SG of the IPA when I raxked to secondary to dry hop. It's down to 1.014 so it's at 6.2% ABV. Little low, but I'm sure it will taste great. I know what I did wrong on that one on the mash so it's all good

The dark choc stout is 2 weeks in now, so I could probably bottle that soon. I think I'm going to let it sit a little longer though. When I racked it to the secondary it was pretty tasty. Definitely a coffee taste and subtle chocolate so I will probably ass the Choc extract at bottling to get it where I want it.

Washed the wlp 007 out of the DFH 90 clone last night. I think I'm going to order more hops and brew it again. The sample from the gravity reading tasted pretty good.

So, I haven't done that yet ...

Does that means that you bottled most of the liquid off the top, and then mixed up the slurry and remaining beer so it was cloudy and the yeast was suspended and then poured off some jars to settle individually, or ? ...

And then I take it you'll step those up a time or two and pitch them in follow-up batches? ...

Boiled about a gallon of water. Sanitized my 1/2 gallon and 4 pint jars and lids. Poured the water in my 1/2 gallon and put it in the fridge. Once cool I poured it in the primary that I had the dfh in and shook around to stir.
Waited 15-20 mins for the trub to settle then poured into the 1/2 gallon. Shook it and waited another 20-30 mins. Then poured into the 4 pints, put the kids on and into the fridge.
When I do go to use them, I will probably make the starter with 2 of the jars.

Back