beer Ozzy's Beginning brewing

Well, I've got my fermenter of (likely bunk) wort in the chestie, anyways ...

Figured I might as well follow through with everything ...

Pics after I clean up ... have a lot of clean ...

Give it at least 3-4 weeks, and then give it at least 6 weeks in the bottle before cracking it.  The big stouts need time for the flavours to meld and the last few points to get to safe bottling can be a pita to get.  Give the fermenter a good rocking once a day to keep the yeast in suspension.   Nice job Ozzy!

Bumper said:
Give it at least 3-4 weeks, and then give it at least 6 weeks in the bottle before cracking it.  The big stouts need time for the flavours to meld and the last few points to get to safe bottling can be a pita to get.  Give the fermenter a good rocking once a day to keep the yeast in suspension.   Nice job Ozzy!
Wow that's a lot longer than the kit recommends. How long until I put it in a secondary?

Bumper said:
You could put it in the secondary from 3 weeks once your Gravity is below 1.020. Grant is familiar with bottle bombs above this point! Look you could drink it earlier, but good big beer takes time and will be rough if you go by the kit times.
I figured that the kit was overly aggressive to get it in the bottles.  This sounds good to me.  With 5 gallons I'd rather it taste good lol.  How long should I wait to test the gravity again then?

I tend to check it once a week.  If it is around 20c constantly and it is getting a good swirl/rock each day, then it shouldn't get stuck.  

Ozzy2001 said:
I figured that the kit was overly aggressive to get it in the bottles.  This sounds good to me.  With 5 gallons I'd rather it taste good lol.  How long should I wait to test the gravity again then?

I'm using a plastic bucket for initial. Glass carboy for secondary. It's been bubbling pretty steady though. I picked up stuff to brew a blue moon copy. Gonna try and do that one sat/sun. Then I'm going to start studying up on all grain.
Lol I could take a small video of the air lock bubbling.

I'm using a plastic bucket for initial. Glass carboy for secondary. It's been bubbling pretty steady though. I picked up stuff to brew a blue moon copy. Gonna try and do that one sat/sun. Then I'm going to start studying up on all grain.
Lol I could take a small video of the air lock bubbling.

F'yeah ... I want to see someone else's beer brewing!

I will say that it's smellng great as of this morning before I left for work. It's gonna be super hard for me to let this go as long as Bumper has suggested.

Haha ... I've brewed six times, and have only had 3x 32oz swing-top's of one batch.

I'm dying to have some more homebrew, lol ... a little bit desperately.

Can't complain, though - might have 11-12 gallons brewed and in-process by the time I go to sleep tonight ... which would be around 100 bottles worth, I think ...

CHEERS!

grantmichaels said:
Haha ... I've brewed six times, and have only had 3x 32oz swing-top's of one batch.

I'm dying to have some more homebrew, lol ... a little bit desperately.

Can't complain, though - might have 11-12 gallons brewed and in-process by the time I go to sleep tonight ... which would be around 100 bottles worth, I think ...

CHEERS!
Hell ya brother! I've been saving my bottles for awhile. Although I don't have enough for both the batches I'll have going after this weekend. I'll probably just buck up and buy some more,....or just buy and drink more beer and save those bottles.

Back