• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest P2K 5-Crown TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boss...Paul...would bread be considered a staple? we all have a loaf on top of the fridge, all spun-and-tucked...and 3 more in the deep freeze...

The challenge is to use your smarts when shopping to create a masterpiece for $5, NOT use everything in the fridge/pantry to create a leftover turkey sandwich. So no more staples.

If it looks like $5 it won't win. You have to be cunning, and it should look like a gourmet meal that was in now way $5 but the receipt proves it. That's the idea!

I have my idea, and have some of the ingredients already picked out at the market. And it does help to be on good terms with the butcher/deli/store people so they will give you those 4 slices of pepperoni. :) They've helped me on other challenges like the alligator for the Cajun TD, and slicing the meat for salsakid for his phillywaffle. When I told them the next challenge was $5, they were all over it, whatever I need, they'll cut it, portion it, etc.

And I think bread will be on the menu also.

Were there going to be extra days for shopping?

I have my idea, and have some of the ingredients already picked out at the market. And it does help to be on good terms with the butcher/deli/store people so they will give you those 4 slices of pepperoni. :) They've helped me on other challenges like the alligator for the Cajun TD, and slicing the meat for salsakid for his phillywaffle. When I told them the next challenge was $5, they were all over it, whatever I need, they'll cut it, portion it, etc.

Small Town USA.

I told [insert random hard-to-pronounce names] in the produce department at my grocery store that I was doing a 5 dollar challenge throwdown and they laughed at me and turned their ipods back on.

...yer all lucky you have grocery stores in which to be laughed at....welcome from Egg Harbor WI - Population 265 :welcome:

Yeah...this one's gonna be a bitch, considering that I have both produce bins full of peppers at all times...and I'm going to have to go out and buy a couple habs, and a serrano or two...lol.

This is going to be a mess...I'm trying like hell to come up with something!

Wait.... I thought it was decided a while back that peppers weren't included in the $5 ~~~~ am I confused again?!?

All produce must be purchased P2K agreed I think.

If you had a friendly butcher you could ask for several pounds of something but get him to give you one tiny bit with its own reciept. hmm this TD is going to be a lot about good shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back