• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Here's a link to the thread that talks about the "MadballZ" cross. It's on the 4th page. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/14140-ballzworth-2010-grow-log/page__view__findpost__p__287183__hl__%2Bballzworth+%2B2010+%2Bgrow+%2Blog__fromsearch__1

Hey Patrick. Long time no talk!!! It's been a while since I've checked in but I'm still growing lots of peppers and having a great year. Awesome that you're having a great year as well. And of course I've got the Madballz going! Great to see yours are turning out so well. It's a killer pepper and super productive!

Looking great Patrick. That Jonah cross is really cool!. Ive got the primo 7 going too and love it. Gnarliest pepper ive seen to date. Your Madballz is looking great too and Mine is identical to yours and BTW they turn a rusty red.

mido, apologies for not responding earlier. The MadBallz cross was grown by madhatter and Ballzworth last year, contact one of those guys to find out what the cross is as I can't seem to ever remember it. I would be happy to send you some seeds.

No worries Patrick, madhatter sent me a PM and seeds are on the way to me (thanks Yann). That 7 Pod Jonah cross sure looks evil :mouthonfire: Can you put me on the list for some seeds. Please take a look at my available list in my profile if you want to do a trade of sorts.

Hey Yann! Great to hear from you bro! You're right about the MadBallZ pepper being productive it's one of my best. I'm thinking about potting it up again.

Thanks hatter. 7 Primo is one of my favs too. Little miniature nuclear mouth bombs.

Great to hear mido, pepper people are some of the best. You're name has been added to the list for the Jonah 7 cross.

I picked the one and only Trini Scorp Morouga Yellow AISPES pod that was growing today. I have four plants and so far just the one pepper. I am starting to see small buds develop so I'm thinking it's time to start isolating some branches.

Couldn't find a golf ball so I found the next best thing--money!

DSC002641024x768.jpg

Found the insides on the oily side.

DSC002661024x768.jpg

Starting to see a few more plants have ripening pods. Always makes me happy, specially this year after the back to back hail storms.

Agree wholeheartedly with you Chris, they are huge.

Couple of pics for your viewing enjoyment. This is a ripening Chocolate Habalokia. First time growing these and I am not looking forward to tasting it.

DSC002741024x768.jpg

Next is a couple of shots of pods on two different plants--both MadBallZ peppers.

DSC002781024x768.jpg

DSC002801024x768.jpg

More to come......

Here are a couple of 7 Pod Barrackpore pods ripening:

DSC002761024x768.jpg

And lastly the Pimenta Tiger AISPES. Earlier these were a solid deep dark purple and now they look white and pink and the purple is slowly dripping off of the end. They're supposed to finish red with black stripes I think. I've had fun with this plant and I don't think it's done yet.

DSC00272.jpg

I think I lost it today. I'm trying to cross a TS Morouga Yellow - AISPES (c. chin) with a Goatweed (C. ann). I was out there with flowers and tweezers dreaming of freakish bumpy pods standing up on a hairy plant. lol. Blondie (C. bac) x 7 Pot Primo (C. chin). CMPMAN1974 the mad scientist in the pepper garden. It probably won't take, but a guy can dream, right?

Chris

Now that was good for a giggle or two. A hairy plant with freakish bumpy pod. How about a hairy bumpy pod? If anyone can it would be you Chris. I'll cross my fingers for ya.

Speaking of crossing peppers here's my attempt to NOT have that happen.

DSC003071024x768.jpg

I'm attempting to repay the AISPES folks with some seeds that will grow true. This is one of the Trini Scorp Morouga Yellow plants I'm growing. I'm going to do the same with a Trini Scorp Chocolate AISPES plant. I cobbled it together with some cedar 1 x 2's and tulle fabric. Quite impressed with myself. :)

Couple more shots of the Pimenta Tiger AISPES. The darn things are now starting to look like bananas.

DSC003131024x768.jpg

Little closer look:
DSC003132.jpg

DSC003111024x768.jpg

I look forward to seeing these every morning, wondering what color is next.

Couple more shots of the Pimenta Tiger AISPES. The darn things are now starting to look like bananas.

DSC003131024x768.jpg

Little closer look:
DSC003132.jpg

DSC003111024x768.jpg

I look forward to seeing these every morning, wondering what color is next.

Very unusual color on your Pimenta Tiger, I've seen the red but yours is a "Show Stopper', any chance of getting a couple seeds in trade...? or

Wow P, if those Pimenta Tigers go from purple through all of those changes to red with black stripes I'll be very amazed. :cool:

Great job with the isolation; I can't wait to see one in its final stage.

Very unusual color on your Pimenta Tiger, I've seen the red but yours is a "Show Stopper', any chance of getting a couple seeds in trade...? or

I believe you'll find that the Pimenta Tiger has the same origins as the Pimenta Elise (Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta de Neyde)
and both are still unstable hybrids, both have different phenotypes and yet the same genotype due to selective breeding
....beautiful works in progress...and evidence of what is possible when you select for different characteristics...

Back