• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Penny's Glog....sort of :)

Hey everyone,

I've been posting away in other people's Glogs, and I thought it was time to show off my gardens, so its not really so much of a Glog as it is pics....if this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it to the appropriate spot Mods...

Nice raised Beds Penny, I wish I had the money to rebuild my 14 raised beds that I have, they are long over due and the side boards need replacing and fresh soil and compost brought in. I have to fence in all of my garden as my sister'd Big dog would dig up every thing. No snow yet but its getting to be that time of year and we could get snow just any time now.
I can't wait to start my 2014 grow!.

Hiya Wildseeds, I love love love my raised beds, much easier in the back too. ;)

We had to build ours though more the growing grass, because we back onto a school, the sand was forever coming through the fence, which when my kids were small I didn't mind because we had their swing set back there, but once they outgrew that we wanted grass, so it does stop the sand from blowing through and it does give us a little privacy(when stuff is in it) from prying eyes all day. :rolleyes:

I plan on getting a load of soil dropped off in the spring to top them up again. :dance:

Nice garden, Penny. I love the raised bed, and your little
Mennonite shed looks solid and tight enough to live in!

I think the Peach Habs are pretty darn hot,  As you start
tinkering with hotter pods for 2014, pls let me know what
seeds you'd like, if you see any on my list that interest you.

Have a good week, Penny.  We've had 12,10, and 12˚F the 
past three nights.  The next few are scheduled for a degree or
two below freezing.  sort of a warm front I guess!  We just don't
have any of the white stuff.

Thanks Paul, very generous of you, and I will for sure. :dance: I've always thought that too, the cabin would make a great little hut if you had the space and it was on a little lake or pond, very cozy. ;)

Hi Penny-
Very nice raised beds! That's got to be heaven come picking time.....come to think of it, dang near anytime!
November has got to be at the edge of your growing season, getting a super to produce up there must a quite an accomplishment. If my wife sees that shed, I'll be heading to Lowe's pronto!!!LOL

Have a good one-
DJ

Thank you, yeah our growing season here is pretty short, I cant plant out until around May 24th and we usually get our first frost around the end of September :rolleyes:

Also having the mountains here and living on the Bay, the weather can be really unpredictable at best, so some growing seasons are worse then others too, but you just go with it and you get what you get. ;)

Hmmmm, wonder when you'll be heading to Lowe's? ;)

I know eh, isn't it quiet in here....can hear it echo ;) At this point, I am waiting on a few more things to come in, and then I'll make my list and go from there. There will be a mixture though, of hots and some sweets, and some medium heat too. :dance:

LOL echo-o-o-o ;) :p
That's cool! :P. Fingers crossed :D
LOL echo-o-o-o ;) :p
That's cool! :P. Fingers crossed :D
OOOOH MYYYY WOOOORD! I hate it when I accidentaly double post! :/ sorry Penny lol ;)

Penny said:
I know eh, isn't it quiet in here....can hear it echo ;) At this point, I am waiting on a few more things to come in, and then I'll make my list and go from there. There will be a mixture though, of hots and some sweets, and some medium heat too. :dance:
Sounds like a good plan, Penny.  Can't wait to see your northern grow!

I've gotten some good ones so far from some very generous members here, there are some that I'll have to Google because I don't know what they are: as in how hot, and the like. All I know is that I'll be having a great time figuring it all out, between the peppers and the tomatoes....the garden will be stocked. :woohoo:
Thanks Paul, me too....I've never really paid much attention to peppers, it was always tomatoes, beans and peas, now this coming year I may not even put in any beans or peas. If I do, it'll be on a smaller scale to make room for peppers. :dance:

That's cool penny! :) I don't know about you,but I LOVE staying very busy,even though I stress out sometimes,I like to do physical work,like in the garden ;). And oh yea! My dad finaly agreed to put in some shade netting! :D this saturday hopefully (not Sunday,cuz Sunday is my biryhday :)
That's cool penny! :) I don't know about you,but I LOVE staying very busy,even though I stress out sometimes,I like to do physical work,like in the garden ;). And oh yea! My dad finaly agreed to put in some shade netting! :D this saturday hopefully (not Sunday,cuz Sunday is my biryhday :) *dance*
#doublepostrage

That's great, glad that you are getting your netting, I know you've wanted that for awhile. Same here, I love gardening, I didn't have as much time when my kids were small but now that its just Brad and I at home, we both do it now, he likes helping me out. :party:

I looking forward to your list Penny.  I've seen a lot of Canadian members here over the years, but really not paid attention to their grows or how they deal with the shorter season.  My kids have never really seen a good real snow.  Always plan to vacation north so they can, just haven't.  Their teens now so we don't have long till they fly.

Your raised bed looks like it is made with long 6 x 6 timbers.  Not certain.  It reminds me of Lincoln Logs from childhood (60's).  I've used regular landscape timbers for raised beds but I am considering making a new above ground bed, (my back likes this too!), using the landscape timbers in the tradition of Lincoln Logs.  Pondering!

Have a great week!

Mike

Those raised beds are so tall! I only got my beds up to 24" before I decided that it was enough. I had great growth in my raised beds this past summer. I'm doing my cool season lettuce crop in them right now.

Do you find that having that deep of a raised bed makes a difference?

Beautiful yard you have too.

Thanks everyone for your comments. :dance: Hiya Slade, originally when the beds were built it was to keep the sand from the school yard coming through the fence, and at the time I thought that one across the back was high....but now I love it, and since I've had back problems for a few years, my back loves it too :dance:

Hi Mike....not sure on the size of the logs, but its actually un treated hemlock, it can withstand our winters here, and LOVES moisture, we did line it on the inside even though we didn't need to. Also, Brad strictly used a chainsaw to cut the logs, there isn't a single bolt or screw anywhere on them :party:

Back