• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

pet lovers

HOWL-o-WEEN!

1814440624_8e0222a644.jpg

texas blues said:
Chuk ...is that your Aussie? or a Border?....My Aussie is the queen!! Cheers, TB.

You have an Australian Shepherd?

Matilda is an Aussie/lab mix that came from the pound, and Abigail is a rescued Aussie. She was supposed to be a puppy making machine.

MA4.jpg

And, yeah, Abigail is the queen. Matilda is just a big goof.

bentalphanerd said:
I'm getting confused - when you say aussie do you mean blue heeler, black or red kelpie, what?

None of the above.

Australian Shepherds are actually an American breed that was developed in the Southwest. As I understand it, the name came from the fact that in the 1800's, sheep were being imported from Australia; and a fair number of Basque shepherds and their dogs came with the sheep. It's believed that the Basque herding dogs were part of the foundation stock of the modern Australian Shepherd; only, because they got to the US by way of Australia, the were referred to as "those Australian sheepdogs."

http://www.akc.org/breeds/australian_shepherd/did_you_know.cfm

http://www.asca.org/

You know, we don't have Australian Shepherd's here. I can tell by their coat that they wouldn't last long in our heat. It looks like a collie to me.
We have Blue Heelersfor cattle and Black or Red Kelpie's (dingo crossbreed)for sheep.
Needless to say both are too energetic for suburban pets, but still the plebs will try.

Blue Heelers are awesome dogs. Remember how good this guy was in one of my favorite movies?

dogheelsgv2.jpg

These are our awesome Rat Terriers, Steve and Roscoe:

4653383_07055dc8fb.jpg

bentalphanerd said:
You know, we don't have Australian Shepherd's here. I can tell by their coat that they wouldn't last long in our heat. It looks like a collie to me.

Silly man, of course you do. I remember about ten years ago when some of the US Aussie breeders were exporting dogs to Australia.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/community/australian-shepherd.asp

We have Blue Heelersfor cattle and Black or Red Kelpie's (dingo crossbreed)for sheep.
Needless to say both are too energetic for suburban pets, but still the plebs will try.

Oh, Australian Shepherds are extremely high energy, too. That's no reason for them not to be good pets, though. You just have to make sure they get enough exercise and put a little time into training them. Abigail is ten this year, and she still goes hard. When I was in Vermont this summer, there was a pair of young Belgian Tervurens tearing around. Little Abigail kept up with those long legged boys all day, but she was a little stiff the next day.

Australian Cattle Dogs are very popular with the flyball crowd around here, but when they're not chasing tennis balls, they make decent pets. A little hard headed for my tastes, but still nice dogs. Never meet a kelpie that I know of, so I'll have to take your word on them.

My Aussie is just over a year old and she still tries to herd me down the stairs to the pantry to get treats. She can chase the ball all day. She is the sweetest most loving and loyal dog I have ever had or met. Smart as a whip and fast as chained lightnin'. As long as she has water, she will go all day nonstop, much like a lab, until she falls over. Here in the big dry ditch of LV, we trim her coat way down and put ice cubes in her water. She loves bobbing for them.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but damn...Aussies ROCK!!
Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
My Aussie is just over a year old and she still tries to herd me down the stairs to the pantry to get treats. She can chase the ball all day. She is the sweetest most loving and loyal dog I have ever had or met. Smart as a whip and fast as chained lightnin'. As long as she has water, she will go all day nonstop, much like a lab, until she falls over. Here in the big dry ditch of LV, we trim her coat way down and put ice cubes in her water. She loves bobbing for them.

Well, where's our picture? You could at least tell us what color she is: red, blue, black-tri? My first Aussie was a red merle, my second a red tri, then I stumbled into all these blue merles.

They can be a handful, but I really love Aussies. Of course, having had a lab mix these past 9 years, I'm finding I'm partial to that lab goofiness, too.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but damn...Aussies ROCK!!
Cheers, TB.

It's a pet lovers thread, how can talking about dogs be hijacking it?

My 'Dangerous' Dog ( I had to sign a waiver when I got her from the dog pound (shelter).

bonnie_sml.jpg

Her best trick to date was sniffing out and retrieving a fish head at the beach....not so easy when it was a hundred yards out in the ocean and another 2 feet underwater. :lol:

Back