• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pizza Kettle maiden voyage

image.jpeg

First time making pizza with the Pizza Kettle. Fire is started and I am going to let it heat up the stone for about half hour. I hope my dough holds up to the higher heat.

The fire should be in the back and not under the stone, but I think he did that ...

I agree, though, that the baking steel lid is needed to better mimic a pizza oven, though ...

That radiant heat up top is the deal there ...

In a kettle it is still under it, this is WFO, and the heat hits from the side and top (dome pushes it) at high temps, the floor is not as hot. A 700°+ stone will burn any pizza.

wood_fired_pizza_oven.jpg

Couple of things to add. I had the fire in the back as best as I could, but I think my placement of the coals and wood needs to be better. The dough also was a major factor. The dough I used was 54% hydration it seems that it needs to be in the mid 60's for these temps. The first change will be the dough recipe and the sauce recipe.

That pic does seem to mimic the WFO more thanks.

And the oven floor in WFO is hot and constant it just isn't as hot as the radiant heat, and in a kettle everything is so close and small my point is, I'd try for lower temps of the stone and see what happens. Just an idea.

tctenten said:
Damn that looks nice. What are the toppings?

You know his style by now. I bet he does those vague FB statuses like "Fuck my life" so everyone asks what's wrong... :lol:
JoynersHotPeppers said:
It is pulled pork carnita with shaved red onion and fresh cilantro with habanero salsa for dipping. I will recreate this when I get my pizza kettle!

Nice! Attention whore.

Back