grills Post pics of your smoker or grill

Here's the meat with rub. Ooooh, I know just the piece I'm going to pick off in a few hours for quality control.  :shh:
IMG_0646_zpscyppzojq.jpg

Phil said:
Looking forward to seeing what you're working with!

The wait is over!
IMG_0647_zpstkggttbc.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I don't know if it's the wind or the crappy lump charcoal I'm using, but I'm having a hell of a time keeping the temp up today. This is going to take a while...

Had something similar happen to me a couple weeks ago with my WSM using Kingsford blue bad charcoal.
The outside temp didn't get much over 40 degrees that day, and I burned through close to a whole ring of charcoal in about 8 hours.
Guess I don't have enough experience running the WSM in winter weather yet. 

You're using charcoal to smoke?

What the whaaaT?

The 4 stages of solid wood fuel:

1.) Wood.

2.) Smoke/ heat

3.) Charcoal

4.) Ash

The cellulose and lignin structure of wood breaks down at high temperatures (400 to 800F) and boils-off much like the water did when seasoning (drying). Instead of steam, we get smoke - a cornucopia of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and particulates. Smoke is a gaseous fuel. At 800F, the log has been reduced to its carbon skeleton, which we call charcoal. Charcoal is a solid fuel

Absolutely. Is there any other kind?

How else do you smoke with Cherry, Apple, Mesquite, Alder, etc?

Pellets I suppose?

After a second thought, I think HM01 is using charcoal to burn the wood. :doh:

I've seen plenty of nice-lookin' Q come from members electric cabinets ... including Scovie's if memory serves ...

In fact, I think the one of the last times it was posted here, was when hl was up there ...

Then there was the last time - to help SL cater sumpin' ... track that one down for the pure sexinext ...

Fiddy also rocked out - and extolled the virtues of - the electric cabinet-style smoker ...

mlh5953 said:
Yes... As is everyone else that has a WSM (including me).
Yeah, I get it now. LOL

I never thought to use charcoal to light wood. Charcoal is just pre-burnt wood. :rofl:

Mine uses Propane and has a dial to turn it up or down. Kind of a "cheater" version but I like to "set it and forget it".

It will stay at 225° all day long and has a lower door for addin chips.

The Hot Pepper said:
lol

Scovie's smoker
Mesquite? Plah! Try Rubbermaid. :rofl:

Back