Promotion for HP22B

Status
Not open for further replies.
when all of us on this forum are hobbyists?

not all of us are hobbyists....tha majority are but there are a lot of commercial/business people on here....

(I)t would take half a lifetime to read the dna of both before you would be able to find the diference between the too. Plus it costs over 1 million dollars just for the microscope to view it. Im sure NMSU has the microscope but the test costs a lot of money and to view all the genetic diferences between to things of the same species the way your speaking of i think is close to imposible. The way you see the genetic diference between two specimens would be to count how many of pairs in a specific pattern occur in a dna strand. patterns look like the following but a lot larger:

I know i might not be an expert but i just went over this in bio i might be wrong on a few things aswell dont quote me on this stuff but i know alot of this "dna" testing is BS and its actualy Chromosone testing

It's awesome that you are expressing interest in genetics. If your interest continues into college, there you will learn you don't need a microscope to "look" at DNA. There are many tools available to the geneticist, molecular biologist, and biologist to analyze and "look at" DNA. Relatively speaking it doesn't take that long, however it does take longer than what they show on TV crime shows. It's quite complicated to get into, and I highly recommend picking up a college level advanced genetics book if you want to learn more about the topic. High school Bio just touches the surface.

For example (In general terms): I send termite DNA (from several individuals of the same colony) down to another lab that does their thing (analyzes then compares the DNA). A few weeks later they tell me which termite species it is. If they didn't have a back log, I would get the info even faster. We do this because visually identifying Reticulitermes species is very unreliable and for our research we need to know we are only working with Reticulitermes flavipes! There are about 5 species of Reticulitermes in Indiana, and trust me they look VERY similar to one another! No microscope is used by the way, just "machines", computers, and statistical programs.

It does cost us a couple hundred of dollars or so for each sample.

^^Agree with the above post. Its more towards DNA profiling than full genome sequencing (which for you would be chromosome testing) as a lot of species are already in the DNA databases.

thanks im realy intrested in botany and want to go to eithr jons hopkins u or NMSU i had to extract dna from strwberrys two weeks ago :) but im not realy intrested in genetics im an a student in bio but i have two 11th grade courses in history and math math is getting hard though lol i have a 3.4 gpa this year but im only in 9th grade and it should go up :) (it would be a 3.8 if i didnt get a D- in trig last quarter lol) i am realy intrested in science though but i dont agree with all of it i want to go into botany for the study of plants but not for GMO or genetic purposes i do have a little intrest in dna and chromosome theories but not a lot im starting to learn a little latin just by doing my own studying in animal and plant sciences as well i want to breed my own types of birds and plants based on genetics though i want to do some selections based on there gene alleles and make some peppers that both look and taste good i want to have chickens that wont be affected by my crazy philly weather of 110 degree summers and 20 degree winters s few of my chickens died from not being able to keep warm or not being able to keep cool i would take a few inside for a few mins to keep them from getting a heat stroke or keep them from getting frozen in the snow and i realy havnt found a breed that can easily handle the drastic change in temps my little sister lost her favorite chicken during the hottest day of the year last year it was 104 and it died when i was at a doctors apointment i want to raise a breed that can handle it but also be a good egg producer i also want to develope breeds of hot peppers that have the heat of superhots (hottest thing i have eatin is a 7 pod and i have had a few :) ) flavor of an aji and size of a big jim i have wanted to work with plants and animals for a few years now and i cant see myself doing anything else other then maybe politics (i still want to do both lol i have won many debates in my 11th grade goverment class ) my first choice though of college is jons hopkins university in baltimore and second would be incase i dont have a good enough gpa for ivy league NMSU for the chile institute lol and great botany programs there i might only be 15 but i have gotten myself a large collection of hot peppers of over 400 varieties and its still growing i rarrly have crosses even though my family raises bees and i only live on a 1/3-1/2 acre and i also have good germination rates with my peppers 74% so far this year i look to make a name for myself in the chile world or in botany or politics in the future im already being told in the past few years im gonna be one of the next big names here before im even 20 and i thank everyone who gives me my support and especialy you guys who are telling me to keep going farther so i can succeed :) i just recently had a football cuncussion 2 years ago and i never received rehab now im a straight A student (other then in trig) and being told all this and im happy i get the support i get and you guys help and all i can say is thank you and that every chance i get i want to help you guys like all of you help me :) (it took me 45 mins to write all of this as i just had my right arm imobilized from a snowboarding accident on sunday i dont have any injuries on my xray but im gonna have a few mri's done on it since i broke the same one a few years ago) again thank you guys for all you have done just for helping me collect a variety in a trade or just commenting and saying how good of a future i have is enough for me to say thank you :)

also jim my post didnt mean anything negative it was just a response to give you a little information about some genetics and breeding of varieties. i like a little friendly debate but i also know im not the best at my genetics either as im only 15 i just read my textbook for bio and i realized the tests can be done with computers but it still takes like 3 weeks - 2-3 months for the tests to be done so i realized i was wrong there lol i view all this stuff as a hobby but to think of it as a career choice after college would be awesome and i have lots of respect for you guys who quit your jobs so you can run your seed buisnesses. :) i realy dont respect it though when someone renames varieties just for the money but if you actualy do selective breeding for certain gene alleles i respect the renaming of of the strain :) i honestly dont care what the pepper is called as long as i have something to write down the name also realize that the dna test are actually show diferences. the thing i said was bs was that it showed the same exact dna between butch t and reguler trini scorps as dna varies between even siblings of the same parents. also i dont agree with the naming of the dna tests "dna tests" because its actually studying the chromosomes even though chromosomes are made of all dna i think (dont quote me on it there might be something else i forgot about while making up chromosomes) i would call it a chromosome test. but its not my choice on what they call the test. and the genes all vary on whats programed in the nucleotides not the patterns of dna (i guess i can go on for hours about it lol) long story short i did not mean to say anything in a bad manner i meant it all in good manner i just wanted to correct you on a few things. :) (also if anyone is wondering i dont believe in big bang theory even though i have a strong love for science) :)

sorry about the long post thp ill try and keep them shorter in the future lol

It's awesome that you are expressing interest in genetics. If your interest continues into college, there you will learn you don't need a microscope to "look" at DNA. There are many tools available to the geneticist, molecular biologist, and biologist to analyze and "look at" DNA. Relatively speaking it doesn't take that long, however it does take longer than what they show on TV crime shows. It's quite complicated to get into, and I highly recommend picking up a college level advanced genetics book if you want to learn more about the topic. High school Bio just touches the surface.

For example (In general terms): I send termite DNA (from several individuals of the same colony) down to another lab that does their thing (analyzes then compares the DNA). A few weeks later they tell me which termite species it is. If they didn't have a back log, I would get the info even faster. We do this because visually identifying Reticulitermes species is very unreliable and for our research we need to know we are only working with Reticulitermes flavipes! There are about 5 species of Reticulitermes in Indiana, and trust me they look VERY similar to one another! No microscope is used by the way, just "machines", computers, and statistical programs.

It does cost us a couple hundred of dollars or so for each sample.
thanks for the info man i just read over my textbooks and i realized my mistakes :)

For some reason I can't keep myself from responding to this.

Pepperjoe, no offense intended, but I think the joke is on you. With your "experience" you should have been tipped off by the whole China thing, that this is BS.....

I recommend doing some reading and research on Capsicum natural history.

I wish the record would only be allowed for land race or heirloom varieties, so we wouldn't get polluted by this kind of "stuff" all of the time.

Maybe this is a joke and I still don't get it?

China! C'mon......seriously.....

Someone please let me know if this is a joke because I really can't tell, and I don't want to make offense to anyone either way, but when someone is going the wrong direction I think it is a responsibility for us to correct them, so that error and misconception does not spread to the naive.

Exactly what I was thinking. The whole thing just reeks so bad of BS it's hard to imagine anyone could believe it.

Trinidad varieties originated in CHINA of all places? Peppers have tags in their DNA now that show which country they originated in? Some guy created 600 varieties of peppers? Who is paying this guy the enormous amount of money that would be required to produce such a feat? Or is he some rich Bruce Wayne type of mad scientist who does nothing but grow peppers? How do you create 600 varieties? There are only so many colors, shapes, sizes, flavor profiles, heat levels, etc. How do you make 600 varieties that are unique compared to the hundreds that are already out there, and why? What is he doing with these 600 varieties? Keeping them in a top secret seedbank? That is such an enormous undertaking that if the CPI said they created 600 varieties over the last 20 years I would call BS on it without hesitation. Other than crossing, and selective breeding (which is slow), what is he doing to make new varieties? Bombing them with radiation to cause mutations? Gene splicing?

He started 5 years ago, when what was believed to be the hottest pepper was a red savina which scores about ~250k, breeding a pepper that now goes over 2 million? What did he start with? An habanero? One of the superhots which were very rare and pretty unknown at the time? Or some other mysterious pepper that somehow only he knows about (which is what it sounds like, maybe he has the Guatemalan insanity pepper)? $25,000 for a Guinness record? The absurdities just keep coming. I won't be holding my breath waiting on any news from this debacle.

As far as seed prices go, I can understand $7 for bhut jolokia seeds, because they're slow growing, not extremely productive, they contain very few seeds, and are hard to deseed. But $7 for a Butch T, which contain quite a few seeds, are pretty productive, and have almost all the seeds in a nice neat little mound near the stem? That's just price gouging because of a record imo. It's not really much if any harder to produce 50 Butch T seeds than it is 50 habanero seeds.

no disrespect wanted towards pepperjoe but i do agree i do think your friend is BS unless he has a stockpile of xray machines and plutonium i gurantee he is BSing us

xcsports, I'm glad you know you might not be an expert and that you might be wrong on a few things as well. I won't quote you on anything either. Been a while since I sat in on a biology class and got a hundred on a test but doesn't DNA testing actually test parts of chromosones?

One small piece of advice if I may. If you want people to take you serious take a couple of moments after you write something and prior to hitting the Post button to see if what you wrote makes any sense. The last line in your post shows what I'm talking about OK. What does "Also these strains are actualy also might be the trinidad scorpion grown to have certain ........" mean?

Best of luck to ya buddy.

WOW!!! I actually sat down and read all 7 pages of this damn docu-drama because I had not been following it from the beginning. Now that's entertainment.

Grandiose claims, wild accusations, a kid who thinks he knows it all and the scientists are wrong, and the action scene (internet sissy slap fight).

I cannot wait for the conclusion. Please continue.

gfight.gif

I cannot stop laughing about this one.

sorry patrick i meant to say certain traits or genes or alleles (they are all the same) and i never said the scientists are wrong. i believe a lot of them are right but i do have to say a lot of this sounds wrong or is not written down right and sounds more like its for buisness or money purposes. And i highly doubt that pods from two diferent plants that were not cloned could have the same exact dna. I will give it a 1 in 6 billion chance lol (not actual numbers or anything just making a joke)

DNA testing proves nothing' conclusively except genetic similarities. If it could prove absolutely the origins of something you would imagine that they would have proved 100% where and how the human race evolved. They obviously haven't. (Read can't yet) so any genetic testing of Chilli's at this point in time can only show part of the story and so proves nothing.

I will simply go on what reputable non money hungry groweres say and make my own conclusions based on good will and positive vibrations and people.

Seems DNA testing for the most part is in the realms of people and growers with money ambitions rather then positive ambitions

sorry patrick i meant to say certain traits or genes or alleles (they are all the same) and i never said the scientists are wrong. i believe a lot of them are right but i do have to say a lot of this sounds wrong or is not written down right and sounds more like its for buisness or money purposes. And i highly doubt that pods from two diferent plants that were not cloned could have the same exact dna. I will give it a 1 in 6 billion chance lol (not actual numbers or anything just making a joke)

You owe me no apologies xcsports. As for the rest of your post I'm not sure why it's directed at me because I never said any of those things you're trying to clarify.

Keep up the studying buddy.

again sorry about the confusion. The first sentence was meant for Patrick the second was meant for Nmorris and third was meant for Habenero500

Trippa i have no real money intensions for peppers other then maybe a small seed store in the future. if i were to price it i would probably price it as common vaireties $1 15 seeds uncommon varieties $2 15 seeds and rare stuff 2-4 dollars for 15 seeds and have free shipping on orders more then $10 :) i actually don't really care about the genetics but when i saw what Jim said i opened my mouth and said a few things about genetics that i know and what he said didn't make sence

Armac i have to agree i have less posts then you and i have been on the forum for about 2-3 years :) its fun reading what other members post and learning a few things :)

oh and Nmorris i never said i knew it all :) im still learning a lot and learning a lot more everyday :) if it wasnt for THP i would probably not have this big of an intrest in botany as i do :)

Well there is a interesting discussion on this at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Chileheads/10150646944652840/?notif_t=group_activity . I'm sorry its a long read but check it out, it brings up some interesting points. And btw PepperJoe, whatever you do don't let that "Butch T" fella get a holduv a new worlds hottest, he'll just grow it out and give away the seeds!!! lolol
Good Growing everyone!

Sorry, I didn't relize the link wouldn't open to the topic, scroll down to this

Tina Brooks

You guys just deleted that thread? Seriously?
Like · · Unfollow Post · February 26 at 8:51pm near Montreal, Quebec and read down a bit.

This thread has given me a lot to think about. A real lot. I'm learning every day thanks guys.

Are the Butch T and regular Scorpions different? I suppose it depends on who you ask and what kind of seeds you're getting. In general there seem to be dozens of scorpion varieties all slightly different from one another but most DNA tests will show two very similar scorpions to be the same. You can't get too nitpicky on these DNA tests they're a good guideline but they won't show you the very small changes. The CARDI scorpions look so much different from the Butch T's I just don't think anyone can call them the same. The fact of the matter is we have never defined exactly what a new strain entails. Strains can naturally display different phenotypes plant to plant that would lead some of us to call them brand new strains. I think that line will always be blurred, but we have enough descriptive tools to describe where we got our genetics and how they came to be. Unfortunately genetics are constantly drifting around from poor isolation and labeling techniques.

As far as the Pepper Joe 'Chinese origins' and whatnot, it sounds like someone misconstruing c. chinense as c. chinese and some simple naive farmers playing the telephone game turned this into "came from China". It's an honest mistake and I think a simple correction goes a long way here. No reason to put peoples reputations on the line. I'm still looking forward to seeing this new pepper for myself as a hobbyist and enthusiast but I have no belief that we can ever nail down the hottest pepper in the world.

Great thread I just wish there were less finger pointing and elitism going on here, but maybe I'm just taking things the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back