• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Pulled Pork- Bday party

The Hot Pepper said:
Crock pot is not a bad idea. Chunk it. No liquid smoke for me though maybe some chipotles in adobe, there's your smoke... tomatoes, onions, chipotles, brown sugar, molasses, beer, vinegar, salt, let is "crock" until it falls apart... you could even add 2 cans of navy beans at the start and you are making baked beans at the same time, (pulled) pork and beans. Done.

On a side note, I made crock pot pork last week using a butt since I had a carnitas craving that needed to be satisfied and I didn't have the time to babysit the smoker during the week. After 10 hours, it was almost impossible to get it out of the crockpot to shred and chop. Kept crumbling. Super tender though. A tenderloin would hold up better.

This thing will fill 3 crock pots. Worse case I can hit it with smoke for a few hours to get a bark then toss a hunk into crock and finish rest in smoker and make carnitas with it. Fat cap is about 3/4 inch thick on this. Same meat I always use because she catches it on sale.

D3monic said:
This thing will fill 3 crock pots. Worse case I can hit it with smoke for a few hours to get a bark then toss a hunk into crock and finish rest in smoker and make carnitas with it. Fat cap is about 3/4 inch thick on this. Same meat I always use because she catches it on sale.

Wait. Fat cap on a pork loin???? :crazy:  Got pictures of that thing? All the loins I have bought have been very lean.

Jeff H said:

Wait. Fat cap on a pork loin???? :crazy:  Got pictures of that thing? All the loins I have bought have been very lean.

Wifey said she will text me a pic of it when she gets home. These are massive loins that get hawked for cheap. Should of been $30+ and we got it for $11. Everytime I see them cheap like that they got a thick layer of fat. 

Here's a google image that looks similar to what i'm dealing with. 

Whole-Pork-Loin-Cut-Up (1).jpg

Problem with those big loins is the fat is on them not in them. Their like the rice cakes of meat. Good to feed the masses though if needed. Grind it with some bacon and spices and make a bunch of burgers. Call em homemade sausage burgers or something. If anything I'd braise it on the grill/smoke in some hog mop. Then pull it.

Jesus christ, now she's saying that she wants to use buns that she has in the freezer...... I give up. Meals going to be shit no matter what I want to do with it. Hate that she freezes everything right away. Does that to me all the time. .. "what we going to use it in 2-3 days. Ok i'll chuck it in the freezer." 

Taking the time to slow smoke it, only to put it on freezer buns??? Not cool. I believe that one is worth a thorough protest.

lmao, i'm going to halve the loin and season one half for carnitas and the other for bbq. no way we going to want to eat almost 9lbs worth of pulled pork. 

I can vac seal several meals worth of carnitas off that. 

Making joyners jicawa slaw (think i'll sub apple for the jicawa), smoked beans, jalapeno poppers with cherry pomegranate habanero cream cheese and jalapeno corn bread. More bolsa de dulce in it than jalapeno for the weak at heart. 

I have used that whole loin before to make a roast and chops. You could do a quick smoke for a couple hours then put in a cheapy tray and wrap with some mope in foil. Either way you do it have fun and a few beers, after all thats what smoking/queing is all about!!  :beer:  :cheers: Post pics when done   

Meat marinading while I get 4-5 hours sleep.

Left rubbed with stone ground mustard, garlic, misquite, famous daves rub and some molasses bacon seasoning.
Right rubbed with garlic, toasted cumin and pequin, chile ancho modelo, oregano, chipotle sauce, smoked canyon sauce and lime juice.

D3monic said:
lmao, i'm going to halve the loin and season one half for carnitas and the other for bbq. no way we going to want to eat almost 9lbs worth of pulled pork. 

I can vac seal several meals worth of carnitas off that. 

Making joyners jicawa slaw (think i'll sub apple for the jicawa), smoked beans, jalapeno poppers with cherry pomegranate habanero cream cheese and jalapeno corn bread. More bolsa de dulce in it than jalapeno for the weak at heart. 
Here is the other slaw I make with apple...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47949-begin-where-theres-smoke-theres-tapas-throwdown/page-4#entry1016662

Meats been in the smoker for like 3 hours, got the slaw prepped. I stuck with the jacama recipe but subbed the apples. Wife forgot cilantro for it but still really tasty. It will be lucky if it makes it to morning. Hoping there's enough lime and vinegar the apple won't brown. I don't think it will. didn't think about that until I was half way done making it. No time in the morning to make it either way. 

I'll get a pick of the meat when I go to wrap it in foil and probe it. Tried to get one in smoker but it's too dark out. 
headed out to give it a little mop of apple juice. 

Back