• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

randyp 2016 IOWA,,Older and (bud) Wiser grow.

Hello my friends,I am still in the cold  and slow time of year.I have my first(3) seedlings of the year.The first plant was the "Mystery Wine".A Chis Joyner masterpiece that eluded my garden last year due to my failure to do a good job drying seeds.I got this from a pod the reigning Growdown Champ (terry) sent me.Not many changes this year,And I still need the right hip replaced,I am holding out as long as I can,(7 years till I retire)I will update what's going in the garden when I see them in a pot,I put out a list before that never rang true so we will delay my "Wish List"
   Thanks for stopping by all you old and soon to be friends.My updates will pick up when my weather does,
Good luck to all of you this year.
Randy

To go forward we must look back.
the top is my first grow out of buckets 3 years or so ago,the bottom is the 2015 grow with beds and an automatic water drip system
SANY0002.JPG

DSCF8575gardensot10-9.jpg

this is the new grow room which was raised  to 30 inches.I can get down fine,getting up is a bitch,lol
DSCF9130.jpg

installed doors on the seed starting station to help control temps..(my daughters old dollhouse I made her at 5 years old)I used parts lids I got from work.One had a neat drawing from a fellow co-worker must have worked up while not working.I liked it and decided I am an art collector.
DSCF9153.jpg

DSCF9133.jpg

There are 2 types of trays.Jiffy pucks(top) and a 3 mix starter I made.My starter had the first seedlings by the way.
DSCF9156.jpg

Joyners "mystery wine"
DSCF9164.jpg

LOT-Jalapeno-onion-garlic and carrot ferment started 2 weeks ago.
DSCF9110.jpg

A pork butt cooked today to take to the AC/DC concert in Kansas City Sunday.Mini vacation,3 days in BBQ town.
DSCF9160.jpg

one more and I'm out.My furniture eating jack russell-shih tzu dog Ryley will also be back to rid my yard of cats.
DSCF9162.jpg

More great looking pods! You've out-done yourself this year. Damn we have some killer growers here on THP!

I agree, soil prep, that's the key!

Like the smoker! Did you make that? From the pic it looks like a medium sized fridge, what is the fire box made of? A really cool setup!

moruga welder said:
all looks great , don't get much better !      :onfire:
Thank's Frank.I am going to get very busy in September.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Awesome, looking forward to it. The Mystery Wine can get very dark like a nice red wine and holds the color throughout. How is the heat and flavor? 
Chris the heat was not super-hot,but it was something you can do many things with.Fruity and enjoyable.

This is me holding the black pod before me and my pirates ate it at work last week
Picture0817161102_1.jpg

Devv said:
More great looking pods! You've out-done yourself this year. Damn we have some killer growers here on THP!

I agree, soil prep, that's the key!

Like the smoker! Did you make that? From the pic it looks like a medium sized fridge, what is the fire box made of? A really cool setup!
All done by Masterbuilt Scott,I added dryer duct to lengthen the smoke so I can catch impurities that would get on meat or pods.

randyp said:
This is me holding the black pod before me and my pirates ate it at work last week
attachicon.gif
Picture0817161102_1.jpg

All done by Masterbuilt Scott,I added dryer duct to lengthen the smoke so I can catch impurities that would get on meat or pods.

Cool... are your co-workers maniacs like yourself? :P

Y'know, if I had a bigger yard I could see making a smoker out of an old electric range or refrigerator, a trash can with a steel bucket inside it and a length of stovepipe. I already have the drill and sabre-saw for making the holes...

I brought 4 to work today, the first we ate was one of the huge yellow pods. Nice flavor, heat was medium. The we ate some of the one in the pic where it's in my hand. A nice pepper! A little more heat. Then we ate the brown guy, you know the gnarly one. Daayaaam, that pepper put a hurt on us! we never did try the forth one...LOL

I've sampled Reapers several times but never had the burn go all the way down to my gut and just sit there, while of course the mouth, lips and the back of my throat screamed for mercy. But the taste was damn good! I commented on the great flavor just before the slam...LOL

Good job Randy! And thanks again!

Devv said:
I brought 4 to work today, the first we ate was one of the huge yellow pods. Nice flavor, heat was medium. The we ate some of the one in the pic where it's in my hand. A nice pepper! A little more heat. Then we ate the brown guy, you know the gnarly one. Daayaaam, that pepper put a hurt on us! we never did try the forth one...LOL

I've sampled Reapers several times but never had the burn go all the way down to my gut and just sit there, while of course the mouth, lips and the back of my throat screamed for mercy. But the taste was damn good! I commented on the great flavor just before the slam...LOL

Good job Randy! And thanks again!
Thank's Scott,and yes those Brown pods are the most nasty pods in my yard this year,I am not even growing reapers anymore.I prefer the primo.I can enjoy the pepper without the hype.'

overall garden shot
DSCF0666.jpg

random ts
DSCF0665.jpg

my shipping area,all them yellows are my first medium sent,and its going to a sauce guru.
DSCF0668.jpg

my first ferments of the year,Red jalapenos are my main pepper
DSCF0669.jpg

randyp said:
Thank's Scott,and yes those Brown pods are the most nasty pods in my yard this year,I am not even growing reapers anymore.I prefer the primo.I can enjoy the pepper without the hype.'

+1 on that! Your "not" Chocolate Scorpion nailed my *** to the wall too! Nice flavor, Nuclear burn but no sweating it out on the john afterwards. You've got a keeper there for sure! :dance:

overall garden shot
attachicon.gif
DSCF0666.jpg

random ts
attachicon.gif
DSCF0665.jpg
my shipping area,all them yellows are my first medium sent,and its going to a sauce guru.
attachicon.gif
DSCF0668.jpg
my first ferments of the year,Red jalapenos are my main pepper
attachicon.gif
DSCF0669.jpg

I've gotta get with the program and make some sauce myself. I used up the last of mine some time ago. In the absence of peaches here this year I think I'll make mine a Mango-MoA Bonnet sauce. Keep us posted on how yours turns out.

Keep up the great work Randy!

Devv said:
Pepper trees!

Thanks again for the pods!

good on ya for sending all the packages ;)
Thanks Scott.Been pretty busy with football and yardwork a couple weddings.My updating has slacked,lol

stickman said:

I've gotta get with the program and make some sauce myself. I used up the last of mine some time ago. In the absence of peaches here this year I think I'll make mine a Mango-MoA Bonnet sauce. Keep us posted on how yours turns out.

Keep up the great work Randy!
Thanks Rick,love your glog I always learn something

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice looking plants, Randy. That's a jungle. I hope to have something half that good next year. How's the ferment going?
Chuck a pkg is heading your way in a week or so. ;)

tctenten said:
Randy what lacto pills are you using for the ferments?
Got this on amazon.Seems to jump start my jars Terry.
DSCF0795.jpg

A trucker who drops steel tubing for the pulleys we build at work took a yellow moruga sauce I made to share with his friends.One of his buddies said it was not very hot,He asked me if I could get him something hotter,After couple Tequila sunrises and ad-libbing,this is the result that I am sending to him.It is so hot I won't touch it.

16-chocolate bhutlas,,29 7-pot primos and 7 trinidad scorpion crosses/
DSCF0831.jpg

DSCF0837.jpg

DSCF0838.jpg

1 tbls spoon Demon icor extract
DSCF0834.jpg

spices are 1tbls each of grinded
black peppercorns
garlic salt
trinidad scorpion powder
sugar

1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup oj.
DSCF0833.jpg

it made 1pt.

DONT POKE THE BEAR.I don't think us pepper growers get  any respect.He will be on his knees praying if he loads this up on some Pringles chips.

process and mix in dry stuff
DSCF0836.jpg

DSCF0839.jpg

it has so much hot oil if ya roll the jar nothing sticks to side of jar.

DSCF0840.jpg

That is hot. It's just like purée. I wouldn't dive into that one either. I like purée. I've got some self bottled sauce. It's not hot anymore. I just add more of the purée to bring the heat up to a respectable level.

I had the same reaction from my fellow workers. I would carry two bottles of sauce in my lunch pail. As well as a shaker of powder. I would give them the milder version first. If they said that ain't sh!t, I would let them try the hotter version. I would get them every time. They would see my pouring it like maple syrup on pancakes. They would do the same. Always treated the sauce with respect after that. LOL

It takes a lot of time and effort to do what we do. I don't mind burning someone that can't appreciate that. I just wish I had video. LOL

Back