• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

randyp 2016 IOWA,,Older and (bud) Wiser grow.

Hello my friends,I am still in the cold  and slow time of year.I have my first(3) seedlings of the year.The first plant was the "Mystery Wine".A Chis Joyner masterpiece that eluded my garden last year due to my failure to do a good job drying seeds.I got this from a pod the reigning Growdown Champ (terry) sent me.Not many changes this year,And I still need the right hip replaced,I am holding out as long as I can,(7 years till I retire)I will update what's going in the garden when I see them in a pot,I put out a list before that never rang true so we will delay my "Wish List"
   Thanks for stopping by all you old and soon to be friends.My updates will pick up when my weather does,
Good luck to all of you this year.
Randy

To go forward we must look back.
the top is my first grow out of buckets 3 years or so ago,the bottom is the 2015 grow with beds and an automatic water drip system
SANY0002.JPG

DSCF8575gardensot10-9.jpg

this is the new grow room which was raised  to 30 inches.I can get down fine,getting up is a bitch,lol
DSCF9130.jpg

installed doors on the seed starting station to help control temps..(my daughters old dollhouse I made her at 5 years old)I used parts lids I got from work.One had a neat drawing from a fellow co-worker must have worked up while not working.I liked it and decided I am an art collector.
DSCF9153.jpg

DSCF9133.jpg

There are 2 types of trays.Jiffy pucks(top) and a 3 mix starter I made.My starter had the first seedlings by the way.
DSCF9156.jpg

Joyners "mystery wine"
DSCF9164.jpg

LOT-Jalapeno-onion-garlic and carrot ferment started 2 weeks ago.
DSCF9110.jpg

A pork butt cooked today to take to the AC/DC concert in Kansas City Sunday.Mini vacation,3 days in BBQ town.
DSCF9160.jpg

one more and I'm out.My furniture eating jack russell-shih tzu dog Ryley will also be back to rid my yard of cats.
DSCF9162.jpg

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
automatd watering drip system! got it!
 What kind Joe,I sure love mine,Dripdepot.com is where I got mine.
watered plants, back under lights and if my numbers are correct, a pic of the "mystery wine"
DSCF9426.jpg

DSCF9441.jpg

DSCF9442.jpg

DSCF9429.jpg

a monthlong ferment made into salsa/sauce.LOT-jalapeno garlic.mixed with pickled small garlic,and some citrus.
DSCF9412.jpg

DSCF9425.jpg

loin just put on for my weekend long BBAll binge.I love March-Madness
DSCF9445.jpg

if anyone needs a box of super hot fireness this season, buy them from randy! huge pods that are superhot!

Dang, that's a lot of mystery wine you got!

Devv said:
I'm hungry!

Just love the BBQ!~
  Thanks Scott, I would bring u some but would have it eaten by the time I hit Wichita on my way to Texas. ;)

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
if anyone needs a box of super hot fireness this season, buy them from randy! huge pods that are superhot!

Dang, that's a lot of mystery wine you got!
  Thanks, Joe, You will be getting some of my best if all works out, I have 4 "Wines" going, Not that cooler full my friend.Any more and I probably end up having to send Chris royalties. :dance:

tctenten said:
Everything is looking good Randy. Wait till you see how productive those MW are. When they are all podded up it is a thing of beauty.
   Thanks, Terry.I finished off your Blueberry.What kind of pepper did you use?The heat was perfect and the fruit came out perfectly.
DSCF9469.jpg

these are some of the pics of plants that are above dirt.
DSCF9483.jpg

DSCF9471.jpg

pic of germination going on.baggies on top,seed mix trays on bottom.
DSCF9491.jpg

when they hook they go to a shelf for cups to finish starting
DSCF9487.jpg

DSCF9492.jpg

Devv said:
liking your germination methods!

This is where I need work...
   Its still a frustrating process.I had seeds(4 types) I bought from a well-known supplier that never germinated last year or this.Some others they sent did.You only have a couple shots to get it right before they better be started.To waste time on bad seeds is a pain.Thanks, Scott,I still learn every day on the do a dont's of the peppers

I got the beds turned a little to work in leaves I added in the fall.Put in some eggshells and coffee grounds,Still going to add some Humus to top the beds off.Moved some plants to 6-inch pots.Will have a list in a couple weeks.Drop in my drip lines and I am set.4 weeks till plant out.
DSCF9501.jpg

DSCF9528.jpg

DSCF9525.jpg

DSCF9526.jpg

Devv said:
Those beds are very inviting, can't wait to see how they do.

Good luck this year bro!
  Thanks, Scott.I finished my topping off with a bag of topsoil per bed that I will lightly turn in just before planting in May.My plants are somewhat behind other years because of an over water/fertilizer problem.And not compensating for dry air in my new grow room.I will be getting new seeds for 2017 as my stock has been depleted and or became infertile
DSCF9583.jpg

DSCF9585.jpg

DSCF9593.jpg

Joyners Mystery Wine is one of my better starts as of now
DSCF9582.jpg

stickman said:
Looking good Randy! I like your starting setup. Bet you're getting the itch to get your fingers in the dirt too, eh! :dance:
Rick I have been wondering how you have been my friend.I hope you have a glog I sure like reading it before I hit the door for work at 530am.I have has a tough time dialing in my new setup.I had more humidity in the closet grow room my daughter took back over for hangers. ;)

She needed the closet for hangers eh? I'd be willing to bet that the knives come out when it's the bathroom in contention... ;)  Yeh, I finally got a glog up this week, but I won't be spending as much time on it as I did last year. Cheers!

Devv said:
Looking good Randy!

You have plenty of time before dirt day, so all is good!
Thanks, Scott.I have seen a big jump in the starts in the last week.I may wait till the second week of May to put them out.Nights are still cool and they sit there and hate me for pushing the plant date,

juanitos said:
boxes look good.
Thanks for stopping in Juanitos,Boxes are parts crates I got from work.They heat the soil quicker at the start of the season and if it rains too much they drain well.I love them.

My plants look better this week
DSCF9601.jpg

DSCF9597.jpg

ryley wants to go outside and play in the dirt
DSCF9600.jpg

installed and tested driplines.15 minutes put out 22 gallons of water,54 plants will get .40 gallons each time I decide to water
DSCF9603.jpg

DSCF9604.jpg

DSCF9605.jpg

DSCF9606.jpg

Your grow has come a long way since that handful of containers in your first post. Looking good! I bet your plants can't wait to get out in those beds under the sun. 

Back