• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

randyp 2016 IOWA,,Older and (bud) Wiser grow.

Hello my friends,I am still in the cold  and slow time of year.I have my first(3) seedlings of the year.The first plant was the "Mystery Wine".A Chis Joyner masterpiece that eluded my garden last year due to my failure to do a good job drying seeds.I got this from a pod the reigning Growdown Champ (terry) sent me.Not many changes this year,And I still need the right hip replaced,I am holding out as long as I can,(7 years till I retire)I will update what's going in the garden when I see them in a pot,I put out a list before that never rang true so we will delay my "Wish List"
   Thanks for stopping by all you old and soon to be friends.My updates will pick up when my weather does,
Good luck to all of you this year.
Randy

To go forward we must look back.
the top is my first grow out of buckets 3 years or so ago,the bottom is the 2015 grow with beds and an automatic water drip system
SANY0002.JPG

DSCF8575gardensot10-9.jpg

this is the new grow room which was raised  to 30 inches.I can get down fine,getting up is a bitch,lol
DSCF9130.jpg

installed doors on the seed starting station to help control temps..(my daughters old dollhouse I made her at 5 years old)I used parts lids I got from work.One had a neat drawing from a fellow co-worker must have worked up while not working.I liked it and decided I am an art collector.
DSCF9153.jpg

DSCF9133.jpg

There are 2 types of trays.Jiffy pucks(top) and a 3 mix starter I made.My starter had the first seedlings by the way.
DSCF9156.jpg

Joyners "mystery wine"
DSCF9164.jpg

LOT-Jalapeno-onion-garlic and carrot ferment started 2 weeks ago.
DSCF9110.jpg

A pork butt cooked today to take to the AC/DC concert in Kansas City Sunday.Mini vacation,3 days in BBQ town.
DSCF9160.jpg

one more and I'm out.My furniture eating jack russell-shih tzu dog Ryley will also be back to rid my yard of cats.
DSCF9162.jpg

stickman said:
Most excellent that you got your driplines installed Randy... That's gotta save you a lot of worry down the line. :dance:
Rick my friend those drip lines were the best investment in my entire grow.Each plant gets the same.Before I may have gotten in a hurry and cheated the last few because I had to get to work.Water bill came WAY down also.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Your grow has come a long way since that handful of containers in your first post. Looking good! I bet your plants can't wait to get out in those beds under the sun. 
    Those pots helped me believe I could grow the peppers in Iowa if I put in the effort.I am a product of all the wealth and knowledge gathered mostly from the great people on this website,Without the support and ability to come on here to get questions answered,I may have taken up a new hobby.Thanks for stopping in.Below are 3 that will make the final list

Brazilian starfish(romy)
DSCF9609.jpg

chocolate bhut
DSCF9612.jpg

TSMB(romy)
DSCF9613.jpg

Yes sir, I decided my pepper dirt day is to be from now on 30 days after tomatoes. Like you said they just sit there and hate you for pushing them. So lets just let them get bigger in the cups or pots ;)

BTW, nice specimens!

Devv said:
Yes sir, I decided my pepper dirt day is to be from now on 30 days after tomatoes. Like you said they just sit there and hate you for pushing them. So lets just let them get bigger in the cups or pots ;)

BTW, nice specimens!
I am putting plastic over the beds to kill grass seed and warm the soil for the plants.Scott I always put my mulch on when I plant out because I can be lazy like that.This year I will be holding off 3 weeks to make sure I take advantage of that early season Sunlight.

Some people like Tom cages for support.I like the frame set up that I string when needed,It also supports my nylon shade that I use if Thunderstorms are going severe.I installed this season version today.
DSCF9644.jpg

DSCF9650.jpg

Here are this year's hopefuls still growing.
DSCF9651.jpg

A seed mat in a tote with lid has a friend's Toms I am starting for him.
DSCF9641.jpg

one more and I'm out.Ryley sure does stand Tall when it comes to guarding his backyard
DSCF9647.jpg

Clear plastic is on beds,I plant out in 2 weeks.
DSCF9665.jpg

Used white nylons tied at top and a small paper clamp to seal bottom for crossing this year.No peppers yet so I improvised and am testing the durability of them for a week on other plants.Used kids ribbon(pink) I will mark any pods that form.
DSCF9654.jpg

DSCF9657.jpg

DSCF9658.jpg

DSCF9660.jpg

randyp said:
   Plant out is a week away.
I took a last pic of the plants all together,and one of some that stay indoors for an extra week.
attachicon.gif
DSCF9706.jpg
attachicon.gif
DSCF9713.jpg
  Ryley and I prepared the front porch for the 38 plants that will be starting to harden off.Lots of rain and(night) temps in the 40's for 3 more days.The soil temp is 49 and should be in the 50's at plant out.I have 31 varieties and only 60 plants will be in the grow.My list will be up this week.
attachicon.gif
DSCF9696.jpg
attachicon.gif
DSCF9708.jpg
attachicon.gif
DSCF9714.jpg
I got some powder from Chris and am handing out a few of his biz cards with samples,Love his stuff.
attachicon.gif
DSCF9667.jpg

Plant out is a week away.
I took a last pic of the plants all together,and one of some that stay indoors for an extra week.
DSCF9706.jpg

DSCF9713.jpg

Ryley and I prepared the front porch for the 38 plants that will be starting to harden off.Lots of rain and(night) temps in the 40's for 3 more days.The soil temp is 49 and should be in the 50's at plant out.I have 31 varieties and only 60 plants will be in the grow.My list will be up this week.
DSCF9696.jpg

DSCF9708.jpg

DSCF9714.jpg

I got some powder from Chris and am handing out a few of his biz cards with samples,Love his stuff.
DSCF9667.jpg

grow list that will be in my yard
Scan2016 yard list.jpg

Looking good Randy! Glad you love the powders and are sharing them. Hope you have an awesome season! 

stickman said:
Go man, go!  If this rain will just let up I'll get my raised beds knocked together too... :rolleyes:
I feel that, rain is ruthless right now. :( 

Devv said:
I see some real heat there Randy!
I added some not so hots to be able to enjoy in my evening salad, Scott.

stickman said:
Go man, go!  If this rain will just let up I'll get my raised beds knocked together too... :rolleyes:
Dry weather is heading your way, Rick

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking good Randy! Glad you love the powders and are sharing them. Hope you have an awesome season! 

I feel that, rain is ruthless right now. :(
Chris my co-workers are building this years tolerance thru your powders.

romy6 said:
 Randy looking good brother . Should seem some monsters soon !!!
Thanks for stopping in Jamie.Your pods are scattered all through this years grow.Thank you so much for your care packages buddy.

Start the plant out by removing plastic and turning the soil a little.Got a new toy.4 stroke ryobi to use my cultivator and weed wacker attatchment.NO MORE mixing 2 cycle oil and gas thank God.
DSCF9731.jpg

DSCF9735.jpg

Installed part of the shade I am using to harden and protect from hail.
DSCF9741.jpg

DSCF9744.jpg

Plants sorted and planting begins
DSCF9745.jpg

DSCF9750.jpg

White roots make me happy.
DSCF9752.jpg

Most of the hard work is done for now
DSCF9754.jpg

DSCF9755.jpg

Rick, you must not put me on everything!

Randy, really digging the setup! I really need to step up my squarefoot gardens and raised beds to take early season advantage and grow greens and other things until pepper plant out. 

<---------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick,Chris and Terry,thanks for swinging in.Plants like the new home,I will not mulch till June.The difference is night and day compared to me mulching at plantout.The soil was 65 this morning instead of the regular 54.The Canada smoke was pushed to the ground here in SW Iowa after a front that just came thru.It is very hazy.My body is toast.Time for VO and smoked meat.

Chris's MW
DSCF9766.jpg

Lines installed and shade tied
DSCF9767.jpg

DSCF9768.jpg

DSCF9770.jpg

Time to relax till monday
smoked chicken,beans,and Pastrami
DSCF9764.jpg

DSCF9769.jpg

Just killa Randy! Glad the hard work is over.

I like the hail protection, my sunshade has a few holes in it from hail :rolleyes:

Comptine said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how does it help not mulching now? 

Too early when the ground is still cool is not a good thing, the soil needs to warm up. Mulch is for retaining moisture, cooling, and blocking weeds.

Devv said:

Ditto!

Too early when the ground is still cool is not a good thing, the soil needs to warm up. Mulch is for retaining moisture, cooling, and blocking weeds.

With the exception of Clear plastic or Infrared Transparent plastic mulches. Both retain moisture and use the sun to warm the soil, but only the IRT mulch also blocks weeds. That's what I use for my in-ground Cucurbits, Chiles and other Nightshades.

Comptine said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how does it help not mulching now? 
   Alana it is so nice to have a new visitor.Welcome to South West Iowa.Scott nailed it.We are still on the fence of 50 degree or higher nights.The peppers HATE cold feet.I mulch early and they sit doing nothing till the magical temps tell them they will be warm.

Devv said:

I like the hail protection, my sunshade has a few holes in it from hail :rolleyes:

Scott I did not get one hail storm last year,So this year I am preparing for Armageddon. :party:

Back