• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Recipe for making good hot wings with No VINEGAR?!?

imaguitargod said:
:( ... you'll have to work on that. Give him a serrano every night before bed ;)

We have been working on that. He is well beyond serranos. We'll toss our wings in Fusion Fire and he finds that hot. I doubt we'll ever see my boy eating extracts.

T

#2 is for the wimps. At least it doesn't have vinegar. #1 is pretty mild, if you ask me. Have a vial of zero in 8 oz. of #1 would make it almost hot. I think I'll mix #1 with some Final Answer one day to see if I can get some heat into it.;)

Tina Brooks said:
We have been working on that. He is well beyond serranos. We'll toss our wings in Fusion Fire and he finds that hot. I doubt we'll ever see my boy eating extracts.

T

eating peppers increases whole body pain tolerance. less ouchies.

tinner666 said:
#2 is for the wimps. At least it doesn't have vinegar. #1 is pretty mild, if you ask me. Have a vial of zero in 8 oz. of #1 would make it almost hot. I think I'll mix #1 with some Final Answer one day to see if I can get some heat into it.:lol:

#2 doesn't have vinegar??? ;)

Darthcarl said:
eating peppers increases whole body pain tolerance. less ouchies.

I'm off the same mind, but then, I'd prefer he switch to extracts AFTER I've raised him to adulthood.

T

tinner666 said:
#2 is for the wimps. At least it doesn't have vinegar. #1 is pretty mild, if you ask me. Have a vial of zero in 8 oz. of #1 would make it almost hot. I think I'll mix #1 with some Final Answer one day to see if I can get some heat into it.;)

Actually Frank, it does. Not all sauces with vinegar taste like vinegar, standard misconception. Some sauces use too much, like Tabasco (aka vinegar water), very few don't. I like ranking in with those that don't.

All i know is that most restaurant "hot" wings aren't hot at all, and they mostly do have an obnoxiously overpowering vinegary taste.
I usually get 'em plain and load them up with my own stuff from the fridge.

Sickmont said:
All i know is that most restaurant "hot" wings aren't hot at all, and they mostly do have an obnoxiously overpowering vinegary taste.
I usually get 'em plain and load them up with my own stuff from the fridge.

Hmmm, would've been nice to have you in the Wing Eating Deathmatch at the last Defcon Day.;)

Sickmont said:
I have a feeling you folks would made a brutal example out of me there.

To tell you the truth, I think the people sitting at The Table of Doom made brutal examples out of themselves. Fun to watch though, kind of made me feel like Dr. Oppenheimer, "I only build the bomb, I don't drop it."

I actually stopped frying my wings; i like them baked with a dry rub better, then i sauce them; they are nice and crispy and have a buttload of flavor baked into them, it is a process though...
dry rub: onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, chili powder, paprika, crushed red pepper, white pepper, oregano (small amount), lemon zest (small amount) rub vigerously on both sides, let sit for ten mins. dust with sea salt bake @425 for 20-25mins per side, then kick it up to broil and crisp them to your hearts delight
"sweet heat" sauce (modified to make it milder): 3 cloves of garlic minced, any cayenne based hot sauce, 2 orange habs, minced leave seeds in(wear gloves, i made that mistake the first time i made sauce) 1/4 stick of butter, 4-6oz honey
saute garlic in butter in small sauce pan, once it starts to brown add hot sauce, peppers and lastly honey reduce to simmer, allow to simmer through the second half of wing bake, stirring ocassionally; once the wings are done put a layer of sauce on a platter, put wings on, coat wings with sauce, then dust wings with parsley
everyone should be able to handle them if you think its too hot take out the seeds from the habs, if you think its too mild, add more habs; its a fairly simple process and the wings come out killer every time, this recipe was inspired by my lack of choice when it came to hot sauces available to me, so i bought the cheapest cayenne sauce i could and modified it
also if you have extra sauce you can save it in the fridge and add to it later, i warn you though it will get hotter as time progresses...

DEFCON - don't get me wrong I've heard great things about your sauces, even before I joined THP but they arent available in my area and usually when i want hot food i want it right away, so i havent ordered any yet, looking forward to trying it though, probably #0 because i likes it hot, that sauce up there typically has a dozen orange habs in it for me, but nobody else, besides my girlfriends mom and I, can enjoy those

Wow! Not to derail this now defcon brand thread, but....

If you plan ahead, peppers soaked in beer for a week or so impart awesome flavor into wings with no vinegar at all.

I personally only add garlic, salt, a little ketchup, and pepper powders to the beer to make fantastic wings.

Grilled or Baked is awesome as well I use a mop mix of beer, worcheshire, oil, and some rub mix then later hit them with my chilipowder when I remove them from the heat .. doesnt sound right to remove from heat to add heat but powders taste aweful when charred

Back