• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Recipe from Ingredients

I've recently begun making hot sauces as a hobby and have had a lot of fun sharing it with friends. A friend of mine recently found a hot sauce he really likes at a farmer's market and asked if I could make a similar sauce.

The vendor calls the sauce JLD Enterprises Bhut Jolokia Hot Sauce and the ingredients are listed as:
Bhut Lolokia Peppers,
Celery,
Garlic,
Tomatoes,
Extra Virgin Olive Oil,
Peaches,
Apples,
Lime Leaves,
Red Wine,
Vinegar, (comma may be a typo?)
Spices,
Orange & Raisin Puree,
Worchestershire,
Sugar,
Salt.

I'm hoping one of the hot sauce experts here can formulate a recipe so I and others can make this delicious sauce. Post your best guess and I'll give it a try!
Thanks!

Look at it this way scovie, now this dude has all these people talking about him and his sauce, and even if we all want to "pirate" (still improper use of the word, unless we're replicating it for profit) it we'll all at least have to try it once, and that's probably way more chatter about his product than he's gotten in a while.

But still I bet this dude had to find his first recipe to make sauce somewhere... Did he pirate that when he tweaked it to make it his own?

051926fb90518254419485d07173ad74fe9cdc-wm.jpg

On a serious note, like homebrewing, if someone is trying to blatantly copy FOR PROFIT, I can see the issue with it.

However someone trying to get something similar for personal use I see no problem with.

Hell in the homebrewing world a lot of the craft brewers put out their recipes... why?  Because marketing and business savvy is the majority of the battle.

But in the end, to pull up a Necro thread from over a year ago, is a pretty douchey move. 

Looks like JLH is a member since today. Who knows how they found this thread. I can understand being upset to see someone trying to copy a proprietary product.

Ethics? Yea, not good to copy with the intent to sell.

If someone has a sauce that they can't get from the original maker, might be worth trying to replicate. But if its a sauce that you like, why not just buyitfrom the maker?

I have bottles of Sweet Spicy Girl, Lucky dog, Gunther's gourmet, high river, fat cat, sauce goddess, dee-roo, secret spy, relaxin jack, volcanic peppers, red hawk, tabasco, hoy fong, several prototypes, and many more that I can't remember at this moment, in the pantry because we like their products. No way in hell I'm even going to think about trying to replicate their sauce or other products.

They make it, I buy it, we eat it, everyone's happy.

I can't stay here all night defending or accusing people I don't even know. I just know how I would feel if there was a thread out there for a year that I didn't know about and someone posted my name with my sauce and asked everyone [publicly] to replicate it. I would feel exactly like JLD posted.

I don't know either one of them but, I try to go for the benefit of the doubt, first.

Ultimately. I don't give a shit.

JLD's mistake is thinking his is original.

Most things are based on other things we've experienced, even if (s)he thinks it's original ...

I know if I saw a clone of an original, that's (the original) a sauce I'd be interested in buying ...

Being cloned is flattering ...

Cloning a product is one thing and with sauces it usually doesn't work. Tasting a sauce and thinking icandothisbetter is different.

People have tried to clone catsup, but its not the same. But I have a couple very tasty spicy catsups from a couple different maker s that the family really likes...better than regular catsup.

And to my knowledge....no one has cloned Tabasco yet.

grantmichaels said:
Cloning something and offering it at a low price is borderline dirty pool ...
Problem is the OP never said he was selling

Problem 2:  It will cost you a shitload more money to clone something because you have to experiment

Problem 3:  As a new person to hotsauce (and same applies to homebrewing) you always try and create something you know to get a handle on it.

People are too uptight.  I get it if he was trying to sell it, but it doesnt seem like that is the case.  So to show up and be like "ARgh dont pirate my booty" after a YEAR that the thread was open.  Thats super douchetastic

I missed what GM said a couple posts up "JLD's mistake is thinking his is original".  If it's their sauce that they make, whether it is "based on" another sauce or not...it is their original sauce, not a CLONE.  All sauces are "based on/like/inspired by/ " some other product or sauce, or they are created for a specific use or to utilize a specific chile or flavor profile that has never been presented (yea, that's not that common.  :lol: )  Mostly it a twist on an established flavor. 

Clone (to me) means copying exactly the original product.  That would entail having possession of the original recipe. 

All of my sauces have been inspired by some thing.  I make a pretty good Worchestershitshire sauce that tastes, good, doesn't have fish, is wheat-free and has somethign the original Wrchster sauces don't have...a bit of a kick.  It's not a clone, it's a different sauce in that family of sauces. 

And in the realm of sauces, most sauce makers can't compete with Trappy's, Tabasco, HoyFong, and all the rest of the BigBoys for price.  What we can do is offer low sodium, low vinegar, flavorful, chile-specific, use-specific, custom crafted sauces that will never be available from the BigBoys.

fiveohmike said:
Problem is the OP never said he was selling

Problem 2:  It will cost you a shitload more money to clone something because you have to experiment

Problem 3:  As a new person to hotsauce (and same applies to homebrewing) you always try and create something you know to get a handle on it.

People are too uptight.  I get it if he was trying to sell it, but it doesnt seem like that is the case.  So to show up and be like "ARgh dont pirate my booty" after a YEAR that the thread was open.  Thats super douchetastic
woah #friendlyfire

i was mentioning what would have been iffy, not suggesting that was done here ...

grantmichaels said:
woah #friendlyfire

i was mentioning what would have been iffy, not suggesting that was done here ...
Heh sorry man, I come from the homebrewing world.  Cloning happens all the time.  Almost EVERY brewer who starts in the game is like "Shit I want to try and make <insert commercial of craft brew here>."  Its a process and it should be flattery.  Someone wants to spend their most important asset in their own life (time) to get near something you yourself created.    Personal use is fine.  If the guy said "I want to clone so i can sell it" that would be wrong.

Hey, what Rawkstah said...good promo for  JLD Enterprises Bhut Jolokia Hot Sauce!

:lol: @ 5-0 ^^^

edit to 5-0... is the sauce filthy or the pirates??? :confused:

salsalady said:
I missed what GM said a couple posts up "JLD's mistake is thinking his is original".  If it's their sauce that they make, whether it is "based on" another sauce or not...it is their original sauce, not a CLONE.  All sauces are "based on/like/inspired by/ " some other product or sauce, or they are created for a specific use or to utilize a specific chile or flavor profile that has never been presented (yea, that's not that common.  :lol: )  Mostly it a twist on an established flavor. 

Clone (to me) means copying exactly the original product.  That would entail having possession of the original recipe. 

All of my sauces have been inspired by some thing.  I make a pretty good Worchestershitshire sauce that tastes, good, doesn't have fish, is wheat-free and has somethign the original Wrchster sauces don't have...a bit of a kick.  It's not a clone, it's a different sauce in that family of sauces. 

And in the realm of sauces, most sauce makers can't compete with Trappy's, Tabasco, HoyFong, and all the rest of the BigBoys for price.  What we can do is offer low sodium, low vinegar, flavorful, chile-specific, use-specific, custom crafted sauces that will never be available from the BigBoys.
yes, good stuff ... both the Worcstershire and Chipotle BBQ live on my door at all times ... and I have backups to ensure that i experience no loss of coverage! =)

like i said, my noticing a clone would drive me right to the original ...

salsalady said:

That Worchestershrie sauce sounds amazing... pulling up your site right now lol

grantmichaels said:
yes, good stuff ... both the Worcstershire and Chipotle BBQ live on my door at all times ... and I have backups to ensure that i experience no loss of coverage! =)

like i said, my noticing a clone would drive me right to the original ...

Thanks, GM.

It's very difficult to clone food products, and most clones fail.  If the OP tried to replicate the sauce, they probably would of come up with a different sauce that was similar, but maybe they liked it better.  Probably why the Spicy Food Industry is one of the fastest growing food industries for several years now.  People like spicy foods and "there is Life Beyond Tabasco..."

Dang!  should put that in my sig line!  BRB~~~~

Back