seed-train Register now for the 2017 "seed train" already in progress

AJ Drew said:
I used to kill myself with hardening off.  For sun, I started putting them in in garage and barn with door open and on my car port.  Two weeks in indirect sunlight does the trick just fine with our weather.  Challenge is temperature.  Started building frames with clear plastic and a space heater.  I adjust black plastic on top of them to shade.  No more moving things around till they go into the ground.

Hoping for a solid / insulated green house soon.  Plan is to cover the thing with black plastic and just kind of move the plastic as needed.  Anything to keep moving things inside and out, inside and out.

BTW: Much thanks for the seed train.  It must take lots of organization to keep on top of folk and track where it is at any time.  My other reason for easy hardening off, keeping track of how many hours a day sucked.  I am not organized. 
I have to do something different next season. It's the most stressful part of the season. I've had my plants out almost a month now and they continue to get sunburn and wind damaged. I'm seriously considering buying a small green house.

Hopefully I do not lose too many plants this season. As of right now I know of at least one that does not look like it will recover.

Wind damage is another story.  No matter how much light or fans I give them, the wind here always manages to break a few.  Best thing I got is after I transplant, I mulch with yard waste all the way to the real leaves.  It really helps.  I -think- a green house with shade will help too.  Not sure, but believe natural sunlight (even shaded) grows a thicker stem.  I guess we will both find out if we can ever afford a rigid green house.

A month and they still get sun damage?  Seriously?  Are you talking spotting here and there or full droop?  That really sounds unusual.  If I have to, I plant after a week of ambient light and get some drooping but not much.  Two weeks in ambient light and everyone is happy as can be.  What lighting are you using?

AJ Drew said:
Wind damage is another story.  No matter how much light or fans I give them, the wind here always manages to break a few.  Best thing I got is after I transplant, I mulch with yard waste all the way to the real leaves.  It really helps.  I -think- a green house with shade will help too.  Not sure, but believe natural sunlight (even shaded) grows a thicker stem.  I guess we will both find out if we can ever afford a rigid green house.

A month and they still get sun damage?  Seriously?  Are you talking spotting here and there or full droop?  That really sounds unusual.  If I have to, I plant after a week of ambient light and get some drooping but not much.  Two weeks in ambient light and everyone is happy as can be.  What lighting are you using?
4094c1e201b5d671d2217278c505466d.jpg
846e32968ed6500ac5dc5d2d920b0c1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff, have you looked in to sunshade fabric? You can attach it to a square from and build a little shelter for them to harden off under. I think you'll most likely need to start yours in the shade if they get that much intensity when you put them out. Do you build them up with time spent out? Like 30 mins first time, then an hour, 2 hours?

I'll have to look into shade cloth for next season.

I had too many plants to take them in and back out each day. So started with a shaded area of my deck and gradually moved them towards the other end that gets full sun. It's been just under a month, but the weather has been crap. Cold nights with tons of rain and wind, broken up by the occasional warm sunny day.

Oh me going through my seeds to make some packs for sharing and I have a pile of peppers and few egg plant and guess I really should start my own Choo Choo train some day

Any way I did not even get into my farm seeds I have been tucking seeds away for a while now and did not know how many I have that one day I need to share lot more then just this train ride
Keep on growing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

AJ Drew said:

I think I discovered my issue. Excessive rain and overwatering. I think as long as I show restraint I think they should all recover. They all have new growth showing so that's a good sign.

Jeffcontonio said:
I think I discovered my issue. Excessive rain and overwatering. I think as long as I show restraint I think they should all recover. They all have new growth showing so that's a good sign.

If it is a watering thing, I wonder if maybe you dont know about the magnification thing.  If the leaves are going to get wet, dont water during the day.  Drops of water can magnify the sun and burn leaves.  Could that be it?  If so, welcome to the never ending world of learning form mistakes.  Used to kill myself over them, now just happy to learn.

I'm just glad I grew way more than I needed. I can afford a few mistakes and still have a good season, providing I don't keep messing up.

Round 1:
1. Biggy✔️
2. Blackfatallii✔️
3.jubnat✔️
4.magged out✔️
5.hardcore✔️
6.jeffcontonio✔️
7.midwestchilehead✔️
8. bpiela✔️
9.rairdog✔️
10.mpicante✔️

Round 2:

1.paphlady✔️
2.transient exuberance✔️
3.Dan piepho✔️
4.Aj drew✔️
5. Greenguru✔️
6. Genetikx
7. Hillbilly Jeff
8. Parker49
9. Return to station

AJ Drew said:
When you go to mail, it is a great idea to throw in another envelope for the next person just in case their post office does not have one.
AJ Drew I was at doctor for a follow up and was early as always and i did a google for the closest POST OFFICE and what do you know 7 minutes away from doctors, So i get out off doctor and got to post office and what you know two priority flat rate bubble mailers small of course all the had and they don't stock them so yll be sure to order yours online. Thanks for the Idea of adding mailer to package 

hey can you make me a bigger ring around size 10 or 14

Hope you were able to find some good varieties in the seed train! Be sure to send genetikx the tracking number so he can be on the lookout for it.

Back