• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Roast Beef Po' Boy, Inspired by Parasol's in New Orleans

Just talked to my mom and she was telling me she found a recipe that almost nails Parasol's roast beef po' boys. Parasol's is an old New Orleans legendary sandwich shop/bar. They were featured on Triple D (Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives), and somebody watched it and put their method into print form on the interwebs, and that's the one my mom found. So here it is, for any others that want authentic without leaving home.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2009/07/21/parasols-style-roast-beef-po-boy-recipe/

No KB for me. I prefer the roux... it adds flavor and color. Never had any of those other po'boys.... I've had Johnny White's on Bourbon Street, but never been to Acme, OR Drago's... crazy, right? You want a good restaurant, try Jacques Imo's on Frenchman street... always packed, but very tasty stuff.
 We (my family... myself and wife, mom, dad, brother, sister, and their families) were supposed to meet at Perino's Boiling Pot tomorrow for my mom's b-day ceelebration, but we decided to meet at my brother's house and boil our own crawfish, instead. WIN!

hot stuff said:
Idk why anyone would use KB either, but it seems to be working for them.
It's a copycat recipe that doesn't mean the restaurant is using it. Unless they actually mentioned that which I doubt!

EDIT: Yup they use it, it's in the video.

"And a little Kitchen Bouquet for color..."

For some reason Merichkas in Illinois is really popular with the locals. They all love their poor boys. Easily one the top 5 worst places I have ever ate. WTF is wrong with Illinois. 

I'd rather a good roux over KB any day. That said, I seriously need to try a non shrimp po boy next time we go out for one. The only time I've had a po boy that wasn't shrimp was from Mother's in New Orleans, and had the Ferdi special. It was outstanding the first time we went, but disappointing every time since. Next time we hit up our local fave po boy joint I'm getting a roast beef!

Phil said:
If you're ever around Walker, y'all stop in and I'll make ya one!
Hey Phil I have a friend who makes tamales in Walker. She sells them out of her house. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you her contact info. :)

My dear sweet ma and my step dude Ken are taking the train from San Antone to NOLA at the end of March.

She's also going with my sister who about 30 years ago lived there for a spell.

I'm a little worried as NOLA is not what it once was.

Ma says she'll stay away from the FQ and Bourbon Street, won't be wearin' any bling, and packin' heat.

But she loves shrimp!

texas blues said:
My dear sweet ma and my step dude Ken are taking the train from San Antone to NOLA at the end of March.

She's also going with my sister who about 30 years ago lived there for a spell.

I'm a little worried as NOLA is not what it once was.

Ma says she'll stay away from the FQ and Bourbon Street, won't be wearin' any bling, and packin' heat.

But she loves shrimp!
Generally if you stay between Bourbon and Decatur and Canal and St. Louis in the Quarter you'll be fine and don't go and wander off by yourself.

miguelovic said:
Sometimes I crave my fathers grilling and intentionally go out and burn the shit out of some sauced up chicken. I should share that story with him one day
That's great. It's funny when you realize something you ate as a kid is shitty but you still like it anyway.
I'm definitely gonna have to make this over the weekend. I absolutely love NOLA, especially the food. My wife and I got married there. I do like the Acme poboys as well. The bloody Mary's at Johnny Whites are the best. I can almost taste the gumbo from The Gumbo Shop. Thanks for the link.

hot stuff said:
Hey Phil I have a friend who makes tamales in Walker. She sells them out of her house. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you her contact info. :)
Fuct! Now i want some tamales. I love tamales," and no its not just Korn bread." thought I would get that out of the way before the police show up ;)

Have a buddy that two years ago his wife made me about 200 for x-mas to freeze. I went threw them at record speed. They are legit also,wife cant even speak english,so you know there real :rofl:  This year dude just stopped by and gave me a bottle of tequila,"I hate tequilla."  My wife sure did suck it done though,lol.  Anyways I need tamales.

Making tamales is a lot of work. When I was in El Paso, the Mexican ladies at our church always had a tamale fundraiser and I helped them to make the tamales. Phew!

In New Orleans, I go to Manuel's. They're a peculiar tamale to New Orleans. But I'm certain my friend in Walker gives Manuel's a run for their money. 

The key w tamales is to only tie one side.  The other side can be folded.  Saves some time, and tamales are a time intensive process.  One of these days I'll post a tamale tutorial as taught to me by my favorite abuela loca Xochitl using slow roasted pork, chiles and plantains.  Manna from heaven I tell ya!

Back to po boys: I've had acme and like em.  Like Parasol's too.  Best po boy in NOLA is at Guy's on magazine st imo.  The fried shrimp po boy is awesome, but don't sleep on the alligator sausage po boy either...

SmokenFire said:
The key w tamales is to only tie one side.  The other side can be folded.  Saves some time, and tamales are a time intensive process.  One of these days I'll post a tamale tutorial as taught to me by my favorite abuela loca Xochitl using slow roasted pork, chiles and plantains.  Manna from heaven I tell ya!

Back to po boys: I've had acme and like em.  Like Parasol's too.  Best po boy in NOLA is at Guy's on magazine st imo.  The fried shrimp po boy is awesome, but don't sleep on the alligator sausage po boy either...

+1 tamale tut ...

hot stuff said:
Making tamales is a lot of work. When I was in El Paso, the Mexican ladies at our church always had a tamale fundraiser and I helped them to make the tamales. Phew!

In New Orleans, I go to Manuel's. They're a peculiar tamale to New Orleans. But I'm certain my friend in Walker gives Manuel's a run for their money. 

Dude, Manuel's is the shit.... Any tamale stand on side of the road is a score down here!

I'll be trying this roast beef recipe this weekend

Phil said:

Dude, Manuel's is the shit.... Any tamale stand on side of the road is a score down here!

I'll be trying this roast beef recipe this weekend
Well compared to Mexican tamales, well they just are different animals. That's why I said they are a peculiar New Orleans tamale. In and of themselves, I think they are great. The chili sauce they soak in has a lot of great flavor. That being said, they are certainly not tamales like the ones I made in El Paso.

Looking forward to seeing your roast beef po-boy this weekend. You arrrre posting pictures of you making it, riiiiiiight? ;)

Back