• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Roast Beef Po' Boy, Inspired by Parasol's in New Orleans

Just talked to my mom and she was telling me she found a recipe that almost nails Parasol's roast beef po' boys. Parasol's is an old New Orleans legendary sandwich shop/bar. They were featured on Triple D (Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives), and somebody watched it and put their method into print form on the interwebs, and that's the one my mom found. So here it is, for any others that want authentic without leaving home.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2009/07/21/parasols-style-roast-beef-po-boy-recipe/

MeatHead1313 said:
I'd rather a good roux over KB any day. That said, I seriously need to try a non shrimp po boy next time we go out for one. The only time I've had a po boy that wasn't shrimp was from Mother's in New Orleans, and had the Ferdi special. It was outstanding the first time we went, but disappointing every time since. Next time we hit up our local fave po boy joint I'm getting a roast beef!

MeatHead,

Ole Tyme Grocery by the UL campus makes a mean meatball po boy and they have a good shrimp and roast beef as well.

Boiling the roast against my instincts.... per the recipe

16345647889_b8880518b1_h.jpg

Good call! How was it?

Kitchen Bouquet gravy is going

16345970229_6e3a93d9a6_h.jpg

And my store didn't have Leidenheimer's bread (DAMN!), but they had the next best thing..

16531190702_b348168803_h.jpg

Sliced thin as I can by hand, drowned with gravy, and popped in the oven (where's JayT?) for 45 minutes.

15912678843_ac7f036588_h.jpg

16346959627_c6374c4cfd_h.jpg

After eating this thing, I can only say it's as close to the real deal as you can get at home. Highly recommended! Try it. You won't be sorry. Go heavy on the mayo

16346578869_fd5f17e704_h.jpg

Phil said:
Sliced thin as I can by hand, drowned with gravy, and popped in the oven (where's JayT?) for 45 minutes.

After eating this thing, I can only say it's as close to the real deal as you can get at home. Highly recommended! Try it. You won't be sorry. Go heavy on the mayo

Phil, that looks amazing; but the true test is did the gravy leak down your forearms?  I think the sloppier the better.  
Man I got to try this. 

Phil said:
Good call! How was it?

Kitchen Bouquet gravy is going

16345970229_6e3a93d9a6_h.jpg

And my store didn't have Leidenheimer's bread (DAMN!), but they had the next best thing..

16531190702_b348168803_h.jpg
Can't go wrong with Reising's. It's made with N.O. water also. lol.

Hey, the final product looked great! Awesome Job!!! :onfire:  :dance:  :party:
You know I never read the bottom of the Reising's bread before. I wonder if they're Lutheran also. LOL. "wonderfully stubborn" I love it!

jimbo53 said:

Phil, that looks amazing; but the true test is did the gravy leak down your forearms?  I think the sloppier the better.  
Man I got to try this. 

It passed the messy test. It was a 4 napkin sandwich.
hot stuff said:
Can't go wrong with Reising's. It's made with N.O. water also. lol.

Hey, the final product looked great! Awesome Job!!! :onfire:  :dance:  :party:

You know I never read the bottom of the Reising's bread before. I wonder if they're Lutheran also. LOL. "wonderfully stubborn" I love it!

I had never noticed it before either. Good stuff!

Looks great Phil.  I would have been suspect about boiling the roast too, but looks like it turned out great.

Chris, while your sandwich looks great, you messed up.  If you go to Dinic's, you HAVE to eat their roast pork sandwich with the broccoli rabe and sharp provolone.

Looks like you did it justice! I ain't afraid of no boiled meat, corned beef is one of the best sammies! And since you've had them and they are good, you should copy what they do.

Tell JHP he needs some gravy or cheese or something on that poor sandwich. :lol:

JayT said:
Looks great Phil.  I would have been suspect about boiling the roast too, but looks like it turned out great.

Chris, while your sandwich looks great, you messed up.  If you go to Dinic's, you HAVE to eat their roast pork sandwich with the broccoli rabe and sharp provolone.
Nah, I didn't mess up. I can get that one next time...not like it is far from me hahahah - I went sharp prov and hot peppers. I was on a pork overload with all the recent cooking. 
The Hot Pepper said:
Looks like you did it justice! I ain't afraid of no boiled meat, corned beef is one of the best sammies! And since you've had them and they are good, you should copy what they do.

Tell JHP he needs some gravy or cheese or something on that poor sandwich. :lol:
That sandwich is better as t was shown than any you have ever eaten...JayT will tell you that place owns! As for needing sauce, so juicy none is required and it did have sharp prov on it.
Phil said:
Try it. You won't be disappointed. I need to get a meat slicer, now!
Nice work on your sandwich! I broke down and got a meat slicer for Xmas...trouble in the future for sure.

Back