• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan 2014 - Resurrection

Wow, first growing season in the new house and I'm totally stoked for this one. Lots of prep work still to be done but there's plenty of time to get it done before plant out. So, here is a pic of where Pepper Row will be going in:

D94DFA0C-B99C-4B8A-982B-79DE489D9ABE-8559-00000C4E05B54911_zps3cffd7c1.jpg

I'll be coming out about another 18 to 24 inches from the fence. The brick line will move out to the new edge and the Ivey will be kept cut back to wher it is now so the fence doesn't show through, she who must be obeyed has made it known that she doesn't want to see it :)

I'm still working on the list and as these will probably be in for a while I'm actually thinking about rather a short list using the peppers I use most often in sauces but can't get locally like Fataliis and planting 3 or 4 of each.

The other, non-pepper stuff will be growing in the big bed at the end of the row. We'll be putting in raised beds there but first I have to remove this bast@rd:

This just in, I GET TO POT UP THIS WEEKEND!!!!!

E3F7C766-EBE5-4D79-BD67-F02E5247C0FC_zpsenxqpchr.jpg

When asked how it felt to finally kick the no grow to the curb, RocketMan was heard to say, "It been a long row to how to get here but we never doubted we'd make it. Our thanks goes out to all of you who believed in us and our ability to over come the defeat of plants surcombing to the Nature that is Florida and to our God who see's us through even the most difficult of times."

Yes, I'm alive! The wife, AKA Command Sergeant Major Ma'am, has had me in wedding mode with projects out the you know what. 3 more weeks and I'll be back up and running. The peppers, the ones I got to grow finally are doing find though they are probably about ready for the Florida rainy season to be over. Pics will follow soon maybe this weekend if i can swing it.

Dang it, out of the Glog for a month and look at the weeds that spring up. Guess I need to get a Sling blade up in here. "Some folks call it a Sling Blade, I call it a Kaiser Blade. It's kindly a wood handle, kind of like an axe handle. With a long blade on it shaped kinda like a bananer. Mhm. Sharp on one edge, and dull on the other. Mhm. It's what the highway boys use to cut down weeds and whatnot."

Well the wedding was great. Everyone ate and drank too much and had a really great time. My daughter will be heading out for San Diego, CA with Antonio this weekend. He's stationed at MCAS Miramar and I get to start getting ready for second season :)  Just in the planning stages right now though. Have a great week!

RocketMan said:

. "Some folks call it a Sling Blade, I call it a Kaiser Blade. It's kindly a wood handle, kind of like an axe handle. With a long blade on it shaped kinda like a bananer. Mhm. Sharp on one edge, and dull on the other. Mhm. It's what the highway boys use to cut down weeds and whatnot."

I really tried to like BB Thorntons last series. He is good actor, just playing some bad parts Lately.

Gratz on the wedding. Wishing your daughter the best.

So, I went out back to take care of the mess that was there and when I moved some root pouches and pots out of the way there was Tray 1 looking like this.

2FFA2DC4-2B70-469B-B8A3-A432F03C3973_zpsqcxjvcsr.jpg

I was floored! I mean how could any of the seedlings that were in that tray have survived this long without being potted up?

Well, I guess the first season wasn't a total loss after all.

left to right there are:

4 MOA Scotch Bonnets (Walkgood)
3 Fatalii (PepperLover)
2 Douglah (PepperLover)

I cleaned out the root pouches and repotted the seedlings into them. I still have 1 Scotch Bonnet to do but here's a look them after being moved. 

MOA Scotch Bonnets

A3E22177-F060-4A2D-A8DB-FD938864C292_zpsrvfjhf19.jpg

8AD4CB1D-3C80-4683-948D-383DC78C311B_zpsfmk8h69h.jpg

0E4AED24-56D5-4859-91DD-75388B7D4D67_zpsnkk7pbxg.jpg

Fatalii

9C381437-D4EC-41AF-B38F-163C6B118C2E_zpsvjhmfmvg.jpg

88A59D3A-D813-4435-BA02-01D57663DD42_zpslejkqgxl.jpg

85D1D0FC-C448-4070-BD1D-A6F24093DD04_zps70vwpa6s.jpg

Douglah

C9A8DF12-B97E-4A64-BDFC-9673DEBD7421_zpsbznhnes4.jpg

A91954E8-FF61-4298-8330-634E8438876A_zpsc4bevx1l.jpg

Looks like I need to add a little more soil to them too. Well that's a project for next weekend. Still going to be starting some new ones too so stand by for the second beginning :)

Cheers

Nice that those neglected plants survived for you Bill... it's probably he most extreme example I've seen of just how tough our peppers really are. I hope they get big and prolific for you. :)  Do you need to do anything special to over-winter them where you are?

I've got a very prolific "Nabasco" plant kickinig out the pods right now... it's a Tabasco x King Naga cross with good heat and great flavor. Think you'd be interested in a SFRB of pods from it for a batch of sauce?

How's the recycled pallet carpentry coming?

Rick that would be great, would love to play with them!

Recycled pallet projects are coming along. Building a couple of benches right now for the wife, you can see the progress in the Pallet Tech thread in the Grow Tech section.

Hey, Bill!  You have been through the wringer, buddy, but it looks
like you are back in the saddle again!  Glad to see those little plants
in the prop tray survived to be potted up; that is just a bit amazing.  
Can't wait to see how they do going forward.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding; that has to be some
sort of milestone for you and your wife.

That enclosed pool screams for some nice containers of peppers around it   ;)

Back