• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan 2014 - Resurrection

Wow, first growing season in the new house and I'm totally stoked for this one. Lots of prep work still to be done but there's plenty of time to get it done before plant out. So, here is a pic of where Pepper Row will be going in:

D94DFA0C-B99C-4B8A-982B-79DE489D9ABE-8559-00000C4E05B54911_zps3cffd7c1.jpg

I'll be coming out about another 18 to 24 inches from the fence. The brick line will move out to the new edge and the Ivey will be kept cut back to wher it is now so the fence doesn't show through, she who must be obeyed has made it known that she doesn't want to see it :)

I'm still working on the list and as these will probably be in for a while I'm actually thinking about rather a short list using the peppers I use most often in sauces but can't get locally like Fataliis and planting 3 or 4 of each.

The other, non-pepper stuff will be growing in the big bed at the end of the row. We'll be putting in raised beds there but first I have to remove this bast@rd:

RocketMan said:
Having to restart it all Andy, everything drown with these new trays I have. Cometely my fault for not thinking it through. My headspace and timing have been reset though So I'll be getting it started this week and get some pics up as soon as I can

Sorry to hear that! Still very early though, so you'll be fine.

Ok, I think I have my tray issue figured out. I don't see any of the fluorescent light grid covers like Greg mentioned at Home Depot but I did find, using the HD IPhone app ;) a PVC pipe 3/4" x 10' for $1.55 and a flat acrylic over for $7.95. The pipe will cut down into 6 20" pieces and the cover will cut down to 4 10" x 20" pieces and I'll have my trays lifter 3/4" cheap terry towels from Walmart and I think that dog'll hunt :)

Thanks for getting my mind rolling Greg !

Bill,
It looks like it was Mike that was talking about the light baffles.
You also have the option of 1020 flats with holes on the bottom or what I do is fill up empty plastic gallon jugs with water. Usually use about 1/2 gallon to bottom water a seed flat. The medium in your flats look "wet", the top should only appear damp at most. Once the tap root emerges from the seed hull it will drive itself down seeking moisture. If the top of the soil stays wet the seed may rot before sprouting. You don't need the pvc, just pre-dampen your mix ahead of time, plant the seeds and check the weight of the tray. When it feels light and peaty....give it a bottom water...1/2 gal should do the trick.....no gimmicks needed when starting seeds....just ask Jack..........and the Beanstalk !

+1 ^^ Definitely bottom water with the raised trays just till the water touches the bottom of the tray maybe a little over it will draw up to the tap root as said along with pre moistening the material used. PVC should work great good thinking! 

Whoops, your right Greg, it was.

Mostly I just want a way that I can keep the seedlings watered for a week, 5 to 7 days, and not be concerned that I'm not checking them enough. My schedule right now makes it difficult to keep up with them and it's going to be another month or 2 before it changes back. I know I over watered them the first time. I think this way will allow me to add water to the tray weekly and will keep them watered.

I'm also looking at getting a bigger light, 4' instead of 18", with 2 T5 bulbs. Usually I don't bother but it's been colder this year and I want to get my peppers going now so I can be ready to put my vegetable garden seed that need an early start in the cells when it gets closer to time to start them.

I saw a post back at the beginning of January about a pepper called the Aleppo and it's been kind of fermenting at the back of my mind since then. Does anyone have any info on this pepper, flavor and heat?  Here's what Jim Duffy at Refining Fire Chilis has to say about it:

"Aleppo (Capsicum annuum) 
The Aleppo is a rare chile from the region of Northern Syria and Southern Turkey. Also called the Halaby pepper. There are a few peppers named Aleppo one is a Cayenne type. This is the more rare Pimento type also known as Aleppo 37. The Aleppo pepper is named after the famous city of Aleppo that is on the famous silk road that was used to trade spices and goods as early as 200 B.C. , it ran from North Africa though Arabia, Persia, Turkey and China. Aleppo peppers have a sweet taste with a nice kick of heat on the back end. In my opinion they are one of the most delicious peppers on earth. Timothy Bader of Volcanic Peppers is the first to make a commercial sauce in America with this pepper. Aleppo plants can grow over four feet tall and peppers ripen from green to dark red. "

I'm picking it up on my way home tonight and getting it done up and in stalled this weekend. I'll be posting the new grow list and start germinating tonight and if I get the same success as I did te first time I should be putting them in the cells by Sunday :)

Had to make a stop at Lowes today so while looking around I picked up a fee things. First 2 1/2"x5' pieces of PVC pipe and. 2'x2' fluorescent light cover. As the trays are 10"x 20" it will be good for 2 trays.

40F14F3B-15B1-4051-A99E-633BB7B8C44E_zpsbz33nmba.jpg

Also found a 2' light fixture. The bulb it comes with is 4200 Lumens but I found a bulb that 6500 Lumens. So I picked them up too.

A5F0F7B8-83B7-4136-8857-54372558428B_zps9if5ortu.jpg

2E4727AE-2E8B-4A71-B6C4-BA52AACA51A8_zpsdfkd7yzi.jpg

Guess I know what I'll be doing their weekend :)

New revised grow list will be posted tonight and seeds will be starting their soak. I'm also going to be modifying my trays and getting the new grow lights installed.

I'll also be trying to find time to get round the y'all's Glogs. What with them clamping down on bandwidth and disallowing sites at work it's really put a damper on my Golging :(

Ok, time to perform a tray upgrade. Project supplies include:
2 5' x 1/2" PVC pipe
25" x 24" Flourescent light cover
Silicon adhesive

First cut the PVC into 19 3/4" lengths

8290C11F-DAA5-4C98-B5D6-2B176D323A3F_zps6iez2naq.jpg

Next cut the Flourescent light cover into 19 3/4" x 9 3/4". Then using the adhesive glue the PVC to the cover.

A56BFE2C-D780-4584-B660-DAA2B1708AE0_zps3inuljfk.jpg

Once the glues dry cover with terry cloth to wick up the water.

77C381F7-FF39-4A5D-A85E-BAD02EA3A56F_zpscvhhzlns.jpg

Now you can continue to buy the cheap $5.00 trays and still be able to check the water level weekly instead of daily or every other day. Now to get my seeds sorted and started

:)

Back