• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan's Glog - Starting Second Season

Finally getting around to germinating my seeds to start growing some peppers. I took 14 varities out of the 42 in my seed library (Special thanks to everyone that helped out with seeds) and some of the old pill bottles I had saved (usually that's where I keep the screws I collect when I strip out an old computer system) then added 8 seeds to the bottles and filled with water. Going to let the seeds soak for 24 hours, then place on coffee filters and back into the bottles till its time to plant them. Here's a shot on the bottles:

34e7f62d.jpg

The 14 I picked are:

1. Peruvian White Hab......................Pic1
2. Jamaican Hot Chocolate...............Pic1
3. Douglah......................................Pic1
4. Fatalii.........................................Pic1
5. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T............Pic1
6. Datil...........................................Pic1
7. Red Savina Hab..........................Pic1
8. Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet......Pic1
9. Chocolate Hab............................Pic1
10. Black Hab................................Pic1
11. Trinidad Scorpion Yellow...........Pic1
12. 7/Pot Red................................Pic1
13. Bhut Jolokia.............................Pic1
14. No heat Jalapeno.....................FyrDad4
*Thank you Gentlemen

I really wanted to get a nice cross section of heat levels and to grow some peppers that I hear alot of talk about but can't find locally. most of them will be going into sauces however if I happen to get a really good crop of peppers I might have to look into drying some and making some powders. This is the first year that I'm growing peppers from seeds. I've planted Jalapeno and Habs that I picked up from Lowes or Home Depot before but never really done the research and gotten the dirt under my fingers.
I thought about whether to use Peat Pellets or Rock Wool but right now i'm thinking about just going with some good soil or a seed starting mix and I already have a bunch of Red Solo Cups. I'm planning on 6 or 8 holes in the bottom of the cup so I can bottom water them and I might place some up and down the sides so that some air can get in.

I'm really looking forward to this and if it goes good I might even be able to convince the boss to let me take a section of the back yard and put in a garden. Might even put in a flower or 2, well so long as they're edible that is.

Thanks for stopping by and check back I'll be here.

Thanks for stopping by,
RM

FTB, Yeah, they've been sprayed and I've been checking them. Even pulled a bunch of leaves.

I'm not potting up Jamie but more like to the same. They're in 3 gallon nursary pots now and I'll be moving them to 3 gallon root pouches. So, I'm hopping that the root pouches will do the trick. I gave them the dose of Epsome salts on Friday so once I get them transplanted it'll be time to play the waiting game I guess.

Thanks Bro,

Ok, I love my Ninja and my Food Saver. Put the powder back into the little Ninja for an additional 8 minutes and nice fine powder but I learned a good lesson too. Don't do it inside!! I got this nice kinda burn going on my low back and my arms are tingling a bit too.

5A7EE80D-07A4-4C47-8DC8-0D7563D9684F-1731-00000238C6D78DE4.jpg

1/2 ounce each, vacume packed :)

So, I get home the other day and as usual I check the mail. There is a key sitting there for me and I start trying to figure out what I had ordered that had come in and I'm drawing a blank. I open the package box, pull out the box and now I'm anxious to get home. Get into the house drop everything on the table and rip open to find:

486AF36C-F9AB-430B-A0E5-4E734EFE4CD4-1441-000002F48D980F70_zps1ad3d4ab.jpg

I can tell what a couple of them are, I think there's a Black Habanero, a Jalabanero and maybe a Fatalii, but I have no idea what are the rest of these are. The kids facinated by the long brown one though. So, Fernando, help me out here, what are these?

Thanks Brother!

Glad everything got there in perfect condition. I am a big fan of the yellow superhots. Hopefully this helps buddy if you need anymore just give shout or I will check back later.
Brown pods
2 Douglah
1 Aji Joe Mystery Superhot
1 7 pod Burgundy (Smooth pod)
Monster pod
Holy Mole
Green pod
TS Green
Yellow Pods
Limon
7 pod
7 pod brainstrain
Bhut Jolokia (Thick long pods)
Scorpanero (smaller long pods)
Peach pod
Peach Bhuts
Red pods
Tobango Scotch Bonnet
Bhut Jolokia
7 pod Chaguanas #1
Aji Joe mystery (small red pods)
Jalabanero
7 pod Brain strain
Trinidad Scorpion
7 pod Jonah
Cayenne Thick

Hi Bill
Fernando's the man for sure!
If you've never used Pasillas like the Holy Mole hybrid pod he sent...Dried and ground together, ripe Anaheims, Pasillas and Anchos make a great traditional chili powder. Add a little Garlic powder and ground toasted Cumin and you won't need salt. The commercial varieties are mostly oven dried, which gives the powder a darker color and toasted flavor, but I prefer my chiles dried at a lower temperature. They're sweeter and the flavor is more complex. For my own blend, I added a few tablespoons of Chimayo molido to a quart of chili powder. Cheers!

That's a boat load of pods. N one of these days I have to try your rocketfuel. Maybe next season. Pls send some rain again. Last time we talked to the rain gods and got 15 mins of it. Send more please

Hey, Bill, looks like you are carrying on despite the rain. That nice
package from Fernando will help ease the pain, at least that pain!
Nice job on the smoked powder; sealed in little packets just like the
store!

Have a good weekend, bro!

One of the great things about living in Central Florida is Second Season. Probably should have started already but now I'm getting after it. For this second season I'm going to try a few things different. the plants I have from this summer are really not looking so good. Infact i'm wondering if there might have been something in the 3 gallon pots I moved them to that might have affected them. So I'm going to try taking them out of their pots and ditching as much of that dirt as I can maybe rinsing the roots in some plain water and then planting them in the ground and seeing what happens. Any ways, I'm also going to be starting the following:

7 Pod, Jonah (Pic1)
Aji Lemon (romy6)
Chile Negro DeArbol (smokmaster)
Datil (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pic1)
Gochu, mixed (Stickman)
Habanero, Red Savina (Pic1)
Habanero, Chocolate (Pic1)
Habanero, West Indian Yellow ( Pic1)
Jalabanero
Jalapeno
Douglah (Pic1)
Peruvian White Habanero (Pic1)
Scotch Bonnet, Jamaican Red (Pic1)
Scotch Bonnet, Jamaican Yellow (Pic1)

Thanks to everyone for seeds, hoping this time is charmed. Also this time I've been able to convince the boss to allow me some garden room so they'll be going into the ground instead of containers though there are some that I'll probably pass to friends if I have alot germinate and grow well. So tonight, after i troubleshoot a PC, I'll start seeds soaking.

Have a great week,
Bill

Good luck with the new starts Bill if you need some seeds just pm me what you are looking for. Hopefully the newcomers provide a positive chili fest buddy.

WOW, when i stopped by the mail box guess what was there waiting on me.

Nope it was this

AF3BBF7A-9CBC-4973-8040-59B863E74743-2944-000004889F554E0F.jpg

Now if I add it to what Fernando sent me

7990BE15-79E7-42B5-BAA5-01672FF4DB14-2944-00000488A85A1BFF.jpg

What do I have?

Rocket Fuel 3! Stay tuned Rocket Fans

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I am a big fan. Expect many more packages in the future. Glad they got to you in one day. That is service with a smile :fireball:

Well, I've been putting off on this but after talking with a few friends I think the only thing left to do to try and save the plants is to remove them from the dirt they're in, wash the roots and replant them into new root bags. The pots they're in now were infected with something and its affected them.

Now I've never tried washing roots before. Should I just use plain water or should I add something to it, no Jamie I don't mean Dawn :)
But maybe like a little peroxide or something I was thinking. Any thoughts?

Oh, I figured out a great, I hope, way to use the peppers from Fernando and Jamie, take a look at the Hot Sauce section to see what I did.

Ouch Bill!
You've had the d&%@est luck this season between torrential rains, blistering heat and now disease... It can only get better next year...I won't be any help with the technical end of things, but I'm pullin' for ya!

Hi Bill, your food saver thingy.

How do you make the little baggies? all i see is big bags, what brand of machine do you use?

Cheers,

Mezo.

Mezo, it's actually called a Food Saver. We get them at Walmart but you might be able to find them on eBay. To make the smaller bags I fold the big bags in half and seal them then open it back up add powder and seal it shut.

Back