• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan's Glog - Starting Second Season

Finally getting around to germinating my seeds to start growing some peppers. I took 14 varities out of the 42 in my seed library (Special thanks to everyone that helped out with seeds) and some of the old pill bottles I had saved (usually that's where I keep the screws I collect when I strip out an old computer system) then added 8 seeds to the bottles and filled with water. Going to let the seeds soak for 24 hours, then place on coffee filters and back into the bottles till its time to plant them. Here's a shot on the bottles:

34e7f62d.jpg

The 14 I picked are:

1. Peruvian White Hab......................Pic1
2. Jamaican Hot Chocolate...............Pic1
3. Douglah......................................Pic1
4. Fatalii.........................................Pic1
5. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T............Pic1
6. Datil...........................................Pic1
7. Red Savina Hab..........................Pic1
8. Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet......Pic1
9. Chocolate Hab............................Pic1
10. Black Hab................................Pic1
11. Trinidad Scorpion Yellow...........Pic1
12. 7/Pot Red................................Pic1
13. Bhut Jolokia.............................Pic1
14. No heat Jalapeno.....................FyrDad4
*Thank you Gentlemen

I really wanted to get a nice cross section of heat levels and to grow some peppers that I hear alot of talk about but can't find locally. most of them will be going into sauces however if I happen to get a really good crop of peppers I might have to look into drying some and making some powders. This is the first year that I'm growing peppers from seeds. I've planted Jalapeno and Habs that I picked up from Lowes or Home Depot before but never really done the research and gotten the dirt under my fingers.
I thought about whether to use Peat Pellets or Rock Wool but right now i'm thinking about just going with some good soil or a seed starting mix and I already have a bunch of Red Solo Cups. I'm planning on 6 or 8 holes in the bottom of the cup so I can bottom water them and I might place some up and down the sides so that some air can get in.

I'm really looking forward to this and if it goes good I might even be able to convince the boss to let me take a section of the back yard and put in a garden. Might even put in a flower or 2, well so long as they're edible that is.

Thanks for stopping by and check back I'll be here.

Thanks for stopping by,
RM

Hey, Bill, great to see your plants flowering up. Won't be long before
pod setting! Hope the weather is favorable for you. Nice hit
from Fernando, bro! There should be some fun in there, for sure. I'll
be trying out a bunch of his Scotch Bonnet varieties next season!

Rocketman - Congrats on a great season!

It looks like your plants are having a leaf curl problem. This could be a calcium deficiency. Try some cal-mag:

http://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-Plant-Nutrient-Supplement-1-Quart/dp/B004JKBMRW/

I just got off the phone with my wife, my son Nick struck his head at school today and had to be taken to the hospital. His eyes were dialated and he was acting sleepy. He is currently waiting for a CAT Scan to be done. As more info is available I'll post it in the topic I started in The Lounge but wanted to post here also. Please keep this little guy in your thoughts and prayers. He's not even been a member of our family for a year yet and is a little scared.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks everyone for the prayers and good thoughts. Turns out he's got a hard head and after looking at a good CAT scan they said he'll be fine. We still have to keep an eye on him for a few days but by the time we got him home he was back to his old self and going 90 mph (145 kph) around the house.

If you haven't been following the Throwdown this week you should take a look. It's great to see some of the growers start to get in and show off the skills that we see them use here in the glogs all the time. It's also been a really close race with several of us staying within 1 or 2 votes of each other.

Have a great week everyone and again thanks,
Bill

Hummm, with the arrival of the box on the right last night:

D8DDF480-DDA7-4CFE-8FDF-7482BCE78ACF-3658-000003E6479C44A1.jpg

I think it might be time to Rockrt out a Romy6 sauce, Special Edition.

What do you think?

No, not you Jamie, I'm pretty sure I know what you think. :)

Bill I was looking thru your glog the other day and still haven't finished catching up, sorry I haven't posted till now, too many glogs and not enough time *WG rollseyes* Had to jump ahead to say; I love the pics and especially the pill bottle germinating idea, I'll need to use that soon. Guess I'll have to take more drugs to build up my limited supply of little bottles, lol ;)

Edit: Have you ever tried cotton VS the coffee filter paper? as I don't buy disposable filters (I use the metal ones)

Had to run home today for a few minutes and had just enough time to grab a few IPhone pics so if they're a bit blurry understand I don’t have a 5 yet and the camera is charging. So if you followed my Glog over the summer you know I was fighting something. Well, whatever it was it looking like some of the plants are making a comeback and kicking whatever it was in the proverbial buttocks!

Jalapeno

C5BC272A-2191-4488-8430-38EC6C8E4524-2320-00000227C94F570D.jpg

Thai Hot

7BFFE785-21A9-4585-BED3-FB0467D148DA-2320-00000227D17FBF2C.jpg

Datil, the wonder plant

3C645D12-2E25-493E-A0F8-1134F24B2A5A-2320-00000227DB6FB1D0.jpg

Fatalii

D118D5F2-C561-4578-B3A7-BD7BE8B7A253-2320-00000227E2BEF3D9.jpg

Douglah and Peruvian White Habanero

9F2372B7-192A-488C-BBC9-C32A000A77E3-2320-00000227EAB624F1.jpg

And last this is the Cayennetta my Mom gave me for my Birthday. It tastes just like a Cayenne but is milder and is a relatively new pepper. Great for Apartment growing as it can go into a hanging basket and do extremely well. Here’s what I found on it with a quick Google search:

Cayennetta is one of two AAS vegetable winners named for 2012. It’s said to be very easy to grow, even for beginning gardeners. ‘Cayennetta’ has a bushy habit and grows to over 2 feet tall and features 3-4-inch tapered fruit. The AAS trial judges selected ‘Cayennetta’ a winner for a number of reasons:
  • Requires no staking
  • Tolerant to cold
  • Dense foliage protects fruit from sun scorch
  • Grows well in extreme heat
  • Prolific fruit set with a heavy yield

48F516F5-0738-48EE-97A4-4F4EE3AC0214-2320-00000227F245AC02.jpg

The new growth on those plants looks great, RM!
Glad they seem to have figured it out for themselves!
Here's to continued good fortune in the new year :cheers:

Bill I was looking thru your glog the other day and still haven't finished catching up, sorry I haven't posted till now, too many glogs and not enough time *WG rollseyes* Had to jump ahead to say; I love the pics and especially the pill bottle germinating idea, I'll need to use that soon. Guess I'll have to take more drugs to build up my limited supply of little bottles, lol ;)

Edit: Have you ever tried cotton VS the coffee filter paper? as I don't buy disposable filters (I use the metal ones)

Yes, last year I did a 24 hour soak and then into the coffee filters to ferminate, then into the soil. This year i think I might just go from Soak to Soil. Haven't made up my mind yet though.

Well I vote for the special edition!!!! How did I miss that post. Gotta get my blank out of my blank ;)

You, Rick and everyone else, am i right?

Jamie is awesome with those boxes always something special to go along with pods. Special edition sounds like an awesome idea

Yes he is Fernando, I think he send so many out cause he knows that if he doesn't his butt will never cool down :)

The new growth on those plants looks great, RM!
Glad they seem to have figured it out for themselves!
Here's to continued good fortune in the new year :cheers:

Thank you sir, I'll drink to that.

Whether it be Christmas, Hanukkah, Festivus, Kwanzaa or another holiday you and your family celebrate, I wish for you and your family a most joyous one. Now where's the Butch T Fruit Cake?

:cool:

Back